Smallest 9mm?

Tpoppa

For me it's not just size but also weight.  I found that a Kahr CM9 (economy version of the PM9) was about as ideal as I could find for a pocketable 9mm that was light yet still controllable, accurate, well-made and reliable (after break-in period anyway).  With a Desantis Nemesis or PJ Holster sleeve, it just about disappears for all-day carry.  I keep wanting to love the sig P290 but can't get over its weight or SA action.

5 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

The P290rs is DAO.   I personally like DAO triggers especially in a pocket pistol.

I like kahrs too.  I have a P380.

Ah, right you are.  I was thinking about the 938.

Just now, Tpoppa said:

I wouldn't own an original 290,  but the 290rs is a fine pistol.  It's a little heavy for how small it is but it feels nice in the hand.

I had a P290 subcompact in .45 for a year and it was a great-feeling pistol but way too big for my tastes outside of the home or range.  I'm hardly svelte (damned belly) but I don't like to carry even more weight around than I need to.

18 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

This thread is making my G43 look fat, but it shoots well. 

The G43 has the nose of a german shepherd. Accurate that way too.  Feels great in the hand and has a very Glock trigger, which I appreciate being a G26 owner.

I'm still a big fan of the .380 and carry the LCP II around a lot, particularly in the summer.  Much has been said about the relative power difference of a 9mm but if you can deliver first shots on target with a good defensive load, a .380 you carry is better than a 9/40/45/38/357/44 left at home or missed with.  That's where these micro 9s try to sit - 9mm power with a nearly .380 footprint.  They don't completely nail it, but they get close.

I would honestly be comfortable carrying a pocket .22 except that tiny 22s just aren't that reliable.   

Anymore the only pistols I have use for are full size range guns and pocket pistols.   Anything in between tends to sit in the safe unused.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I would honestly be comfortable carrying a pocket .22 except that tiny 22s just aren't that reliable.   

Anymore the only pistols I have use for are full size range guns and pocket pistols.   Anything in between tends to sit in the safe unused.

I think I'm getting to that point as well.  When the Dems were in charge, I could justify collecting stuff just because it was different, odd, potentially on their ban lists or just cool, hip and happ'n.  Those buys aren't getting any range time - I just don't have time for them.  Same is happening with my folding knife collection.

8 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

Who would be using a finger-rest mag? The ringfinger on the p290 isn't getting any love

I do, but always with an extended mag if they're available for the gun and the extension doesn't limit how I carry the gun.  I usually bring an extra mag but having an extra round in the slide is always good.

23 minutes ago, smccrory said:

I do, but always with an extended mag if they're available for the gun and the extension doesn't limit how I carry the gun.  I usually bring an extra mag but having an extra round in the slide is always good.

Carry with a round not chambered?  Who does that?

Diamondback DB9 is a very small 9mm. 

I don't think it's worth owning, but I've never shot one. 

I carried without a round chambered for a while. Didn't want to be putting my hand in harms way while getting used to having a firearm on me. Also didn't want a round chambered if I went to take a shit and the gun fell out of my holster. 

I still store my gun in the car without a round chambered. 

My brother had a DB9 and it broke within months of owning it. After almost a year of runarounds with Diamondback/Taurus, he finally got the part shipped to him to fix it himself. I would say it was the worst customer service I have ever seen.

I use a Springfield XDs 9.  Carries well and shoots fantastic.  I too wondered if I should have purchased a .380 for the smaller frame, but watched a bunch of ballistic videos and determined I should probably have something with a little more power.  I really liked the G42 and like the G43 even better.  My father in law purchased one and it shoots just as good as my full size Glock.

I shot a few rounds through a G43 when they were brand new.  For a compact 9mm, it is nice.  the problem I have with it is that it's single-stack, and thus the magazines won't work with any other glock pistols. (I know it has to be single stack to be slim.)

To me, that is a big plus for the 26.  I can own a 26 and a 19, and only buy G19 magazines.  That said, i have never tried to carry a G26.

I'm getting really picky when I 'complain' about the 43, but to me it eliminates one of the best features of the other glock pistols. I'll say it again so people don't try to call me out on something I'm freely acknowledging:  I am working to find a fault with the G43, and 'complaining' about something that wouldn't even be a possibility with most other 9mm pistols.  It's me being hyper-analytical, not a legitimate criticism of the gun.