Supermotos on MidOhio

Helmutt

I've probably got  more seat time that anyone else around here on a superMoto on track days and races...... my personal Opinion on the foot down riding style  is a little unsafe for you and the riders around you it's a good way to get your foot run over in the knee down position for me tends to hold me up when the wheels are sliding it's a support so you don't get that with the foot down and for me to be a good way to get high sided and pitched off.

I think the safest place for a mode Tarde is on the track is in the center on the straightaways I tend to only get passed on the back straightaway buy a few riders announce it but my motard runs about 123 mile an hour  about the same as a stock SV anyways good luck motards are super fun just need to be fast enough to be safe as well as lap times and that's my opinion

Edited by Chuck Clay
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chuck Clay said:

I've probably got  more seat time that anyone else around here on a superMoto on track days and races...... my personal Opinion on the foot down riding style  is a little unsafe for you and the riders around you it's a good way to get your foot run over in the knee down position for me tends to hold me up when the wheels are sliding it's a support so you don't get that with the foot down and for me to be a good way to get high sided and pitched off.

I think the safest place for a mode Tarde is on the track is in the center on the straightaways I tend to only get passed on the back straightaway buy a few riders announce it but my motard runs about 123 mile an hour  about the same as a stock SV anyways good luck motards are super fun just need to be fast enough to be safe as well as lap times and that's my opinion

Thanks, Chuck.  You were the other guy I was hoping would toss in some seasoned advice, just couldn't remember your handle here.   With the changes that MidO has made in the novice groups, I'm not nearly as concerned anymore....just need to work on getting used to sport riding this bike vs motard.   I'm just there to have some fun and learn some more about my supermoto - may invest in a steering damper beforehand though, this thing is a awfully twitchy at highway speeds...and I know I'll eventually be going faster than that at this track.

No problem......mine gets twitchy when not on the throttle or sitting too close to the tank.......I like to wear a chest/back protector that is bright colored so I can be seen easily from behind, being that the rider sits higher on a motard,I won't think they're not hard to spot......

Coming from someone that doesnt ride a super moto but have ridden with them on track on a bike that'll do 130+, I'm not so sure about having a slower rider/bike riding down the center of a straight. I say stay on the race line so you don't have to cut across track to get back onto line to take the next corner coming off a long straight. It's a track day, it on the person passing to make a safe pass. Having someone in the middle would potentially cause confusion and guessing from the people coming up from behind. All the days I've been to, the slower bikes/riders that stay on the race line and are easily passed by quicker riders because they don't have to pick and choose what side they are going to blow by a ninja 300 or supermotard, etc. 

There (as I mentioned earlier) are a fair amount of ktm 390's running about these days spread across all groups, they stay on the race line close to the edge of the track giving everyone else more than enough room to pass. Also imagine you sitting there at 100 and two liter's fly by at 180+ (such is the case at road atlanta) one on each side, could startle you, could blow you to one side into the oncoming bike passing you on the other side of you.

Every rider/bike combo is different......speaking from my view riding in "I" group is on first lap I get passed down back straight more than any other lap after tires heat up,being passed or getting passed on back straight is not an issue, unless I just passed a riders or riders in carousel......but either situation i guarantee that they know I'm there and there's no surprise that they may encounter a slower straightway bike ahead.....I sure Mid Ohio will make safe decision in what best for every bike/rider stituation