Lets fix this ear plug BS

Tonik

17 hours ago, Tonik said:

F'ing genius. And yea, he can ride bitch on the great white donut hauler.  Weather permitting, I will bring him a helmet.

convert the white whale to a naked first too then take him down the nearest 70+mph interstate. 

Edited by what

15 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Shit. I'll put the factory windscreen on the Multistrada and he can ride that. He'll be deaf with a stiff neck by the time he finds sixth gear. 

the joke - it's a 5 speed gearbox

shazzam

47 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I am actually reconsidering the take him for a ride idea.  Not sure he will really 'hear' it unless it is on the freeway for an hour or two.

I would agree. I often don't wear earplugs on short runs and have no problem. It's those lengthy rides that will kill your ears without some kind of earplugs. Btw @Tonik I did get a response.  He said he would prefer to hear from me first and then go from there. The date he first suggested to meet I am unable to do ( I'll be on vacation in Florida). It looks as though it will have to be some time in April. 

Just now, durk said:

He said he would prefer to hear from me first and then go from there.

I actually think that makes sense, he is chatting with someone he knows.  No pressure, no BS just an open conversation.

18 minutes ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

Just wonder if you could use this in some way?  This is a screen shot of a decibel meter app that I have on my phone. It has a record feature built in as well. 

image.png

Awesome. I will get that on mine, we need 85+ dB showing.

On 3/3/2017 at 11:18 AM, whaler said:

"there is no argument for ear buds and music...its worse on your hearing than no ear plugs and wind noise."

Highly disagree.  If you use isolating earbuds that cut the wind noise as good as earplugs, then you can keep the music volume down.  These are the best ive found:  http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/mc5.html

5 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I tried those.  Wont stay in ear, very difficult to get helmet on without ripping them out.  Very uncomfortable with stiff wire pressing on your head, much more expensive, heavier, dont isolate as well, but they DO sound good!

• Upvote 1

Ok, the plot thickens.  ABATE got back to me, and they believe it was changed and foam ear plugs are OK.  Here is the current law as I can find it:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.84

4511.84 Earphones or earplugs on operator prohibited.

(A) No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing earphones over, or earplugs in, both ears. As used in this section, "earphones" means any headset, radio, tape player, or other similar device that provides the listener with radio programs, music, or other recorded information through a device attached to the head and that covers all or a portion of both ears. "Earphones" does not include speakers or other listening devices that are built into protective headgear.

Depending on how you read it, it very well might only mean music playing devices.  @durk Can you ping your representative who appears to be the only one we contacted that cares about his constituents and maybe he can get us a clear answer.

I am going to ping the Ohio Attorney General, they are supposed to give opinions on a laws meaning.

Edited by Tonik

ABATE is wrong, they are still illegal. Found a case where Ohio’s Sixth Circuit upheld a conviction under 4511.84 in 2014.  They quote the law I found, they are the same…no changes.

http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/rod/docs/pdf/6/2014/2014-Ohio-1899.pdf

Edited by Tonik

33 minutes ago, Tonik said:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.84

4511.84 Earphones or earplugs on operator prohibited.

(A) No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing earphones over, or earplugs in, both ears. As used in this section, "earphones" means any headset, radio, tape player, or other similar device that provides the listener with radio programs, music, or other recorded information through a device attached to the head and that covers all or a portion of both ears. "Earphones" does not include speakers or other listening devices that are built into protective headgear.

So does this mean that those who use a Sena or other type of communication device, where the speakers are fitted into the helmet do not fall under this? You could technically say they are built in..

1 minute ago, thompsonian said:

So does this mean that those who use a Sena or other type of communication device, where the speakers are fitted into the helmet do not fall under this? You could technically say they are built in..

I would say we are ok on that.  It says 'built in' but it does not say 'built in by the helmet maker'.  Mine is a 20, and the wires are run under the liner, the unit is mounted to the side and the speakers are attached to the helmet.  That is 'built in' imnsho.  I think what they object to would be over the ear headphones that are sort of clamped to your ears.

In digging into this I am learning a lot.  Massachusetts and Alaska prohibit any in helmet audio.  Georgia and Pennsylvania All In-Helmet Audio prohibited except headsets used for communication purposes only. Rest of the States are pretty clean on it and in fact do not even prohibit ear buds.

Just now, durk said:

@Tonik saw your 2 post. Based on what I saw in your second post I'm not going to bother my representative. I do have a tentative meeting date of April 8th. 

Correct, don't bother him about it being rewritten, since it wasn't. ABATE is incorrect.  But that said, I think they are going to help us on this.  Their legislative coordinator is really cool and on our side.

• Upvote 1

On 3/9/2017 at 2:46 PM, Tonik said:

I am actually reconsidering the take him for a ride idea.  Not sure he will really 'hear' it unless it is on the freeway for an hour or two.

I've read that it only takes like 15 minutes to damage hearing. It bothers me pretty quick. I prefer the sound of my bike when I have the ear plugs in for some reason. 

I have always ridden with ear buds in and have never had problems because of them.  But this winter I bought a new helmet that has everything built in to it Phone, GPS, passenger to rider communication and bike to bike communication and stereo.  Can’t wait to try it out on the bike instead of riding around in the car with it on got some strange looks because of that.

• Upvote 2

I have been pulled over before and I asked the cop right out; "Do you mind if I take my helmet off so I can remove my earplugs?"  He said sure, and gave no indication that he had a problem with the earplugs.

Rather than having a lawmaker wear earplugs on the bike as a demonstration of what you CANNOT hear, it should be a demonstration of what you CAN hear.   Even with earplugs in I can still horns, siren, engines.  I have no problem hearing stuff.

I made the choice long ago that I'd rather pay a $95 fine every now and then versus losing my hearing.   Never been ticketed for the plugs, but I don't generally ride in a manner that attracts police attention.

I'd like to hear the counter argument - what is the reason I must expose myself unprotected to sound levels that would be illegal at work?

20 minutes ago, Scruit said:

I'd like to hear the counter argument - what is the reason I must expose myself unprotected to sound levels that would be illegal at work?

I am about to start calling my reps that never responded to my emails and that will be the crux of my argument.

• Tonik pinned this topic
  • Casper unpinned this topic