Lets fix this ear plug BS

Tonik

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, serpentracer said:

fuck you guys, I liked being an outlaw ear plug wearer.   don't take that from me.

Serpent, I wear Shure in-ear headphones. Nice music, enough "room" to hear horns, sirens, and other sounds necessary to keep me safe and aware of my surroundings, as well as adequate protection against wind noise. PERFECT. A hundred bucks, but priceless when riding. The law will be changing soon and we will be "legal." No doubt.

18 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

Serpent, I wear Shure in-ear headphones. Nice music, enough "room" to hear horns, sirens, and other sounds necessary to keep me safe and aware of my surroundings, as well as adequate protection against wind noise. PERFECT. A hundred bucks, but priceless when riding. The law will be changing soon and we will be "legal." No doubt.

No, you will still be a criminal. Music headphones are not part of this law. Yours is a misdemeanor. Wonder how that will look on yo8u 3 year background check!

Edited by Tonik

33 minutes ago, Tonik said:

No, you will still be a criminal. Music headphones are not part of this law. Yours is a misdemeanor. Wonder how that will look on yo8u 3 year background check!

You are correct about the legal aspects of the law you (and I) reference here, but the ODE is focused more on egregious "misbehavior" on the part of state-licensed teachers. ODE has much more to worry about than someone who plugs his ears while riding the highways on a moto, but I am left wondering if there are any laws prohibiting the use of ear plugs in the classroom. Gawd, what a celebration that would be if it were overturned . . . Durk? Anything to add?

Edited by SpecialEd

• 2 months later...

Ok, they are back from summer recess, actually have been for awhile, and the committees are getting back to work. So our next task is to get the Chairman of the Senate Transportation committee to add us to their agenda. He was not on the transportation committee last year, so this bill is all new to him. Drop him a line and give your support for HB 129 and ask him to put it on the committee's agenda.

Here is his contact page:

http://www.ohiosenate.gov/senators/mccolley/contact

• Beer 2

• 5 weeks later...

Based on the questions from the committee, view-able at the link below, I think we are golden. No objections. Technically it has to have three hearings, but the Chair can fast track it down to two and then vote to send it to the Senate. I fully expect that to happen.

http://www.ohiosenate.gov/video/ohio-senate-transportation-commerce-and-workforce-committee-11-6-2019

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

It is on, I am testifying this Wednesday at 10 AM, I will post a link to the live video later on. First it is time for you :asshat: 's to help again.

Hit the link below, that will show you all of the members of the committee. Hit each one and send them a nice email expressing your support for HB129. I have been told time and time again they actually really do pay attention to these messages. It is the only feedback they get on bills sometimes, so if they get feedback they listen. If they don't get feedback they tend to vote no to avoid making a mistake.

http://www.ohiosenate.gov/committees/transportation-commerce-and-workforce

We are in the home stretch gang, don't let up now.

Be short and to the point. They will get the details from me tomorrow.

I am writing to express my support for HB 129 which will allow motorcyclists to protect our hearing.

Ohio is now one of only two states that prohibit hearing protection while on a motorcycle. While on a motorcycle at highway speeds we are exposed to wind noise that far exceeds OSHA limits in the workplace, even with a full face helmet on. These levels have been proven to cause permanent hearing loss. When wearing earplugs we have no problem hearing the traffic and sirens around us.

Thank you for your time and support of this important bill.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, what said:

Hopefully it sails through. 

Probably will, but I don't want to leave anything to chance after all of the time and money I have invested in this.

Did you email the Senators mentioned above?

Edited by Tonik

• Casper unpinned this topic