Lets fix this ear plug BS

Tonik

1 hour ago, Steve Butters said:

Smells like tears and failure in here. Just do whatever you want anyways 🤷🏻‍♂️ fuck the law 

You have only failed when you stop trying. What's wrong with doing both? ignore the law and work to get it changed?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Jim, I just watched the video. You did a great job. Do you know if the Senate is generally opposed/hostile toward the idea of hearing protection for us? What is your sense as to whether or not this might pass through the Senate successfully?

59 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

Jim, I just watched the video. You did a great job. Do you know if the Senate is generally opposed/hostile toward the idea of hearing protection for us? What is your sense as to whether or not this might pass through the Senate successfully?

I think we will be fine. Our issues in the Senate so far have been timing and BS politics.

But when we get there we can't let up. We will make the phones ring.

32 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I think we will be fine. Our issues in the Senate so far have been timing and BS politics.

But when we get there we can't let up. We will make the phones ring.

Democracy in action. Kinda cool!

I think a lot of us (myself included) sometimes forget that WE elect these folks, and that they represent US and OUR wishes.

Jim, if there is a need to go back and do it again, LMK and I'll go as well. A few points I would add further clarification to (not criticizing what you said, just thoughts in case there is a next time).

• re: hearing important noises with ear plugs in - I would argue I am better able to hear horns and other critical noises with ear plugs in vs without since they normalize the volume of ambient sounds, allowing for the other noises to be heard more prominently. You kind of said this though.
  • Decibel ratings are not linear, but exponential. The difference between 85 and 110db is enormous. Way more than the difference of the same span between 50 to 75db. Most people don't understand this and I doubt any of the politicians do unless they have had reason to know that from past experience. I didn't know it until I was researching air compressors and reading up on the loud vs quiet ones.

I love the points you made about OSHA vs OH law and the BMV recommendations vs law.

2 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

Jim, if there is a need to go back and do it again, LMK and I'll go as well. A few points I would add further clarification to (not criticizing what you said, just thoughts in case there is a next time).

• re: hearing important noises with ear plugs in - I would argue I am better able to hear horns and other critical noises with ear plugs in vs without since they normalize the volume of ambient sounds, allowing for the other noises to be heard more prominently. You kind of said this though.
  • Decibel ratings are not linear, but exponential. The difference between 85 and 110db is enormous. Way more than the difference of the same span between 50 to 75db. Most people don't understand this and I doubt any of the politicians do unless they have had reason to know that from past experience. I didn't know it until I was researching air compressors and reading up on the loud vs quiet ones.

I love the points you made about OSHA vs OH law and the BMV recommendations vs law.

Love your first point. The second is valid, but their attention span is pretty short. I will ponder that one.

The fact that there were zero negative comments and few questions from the representatives in today's video suggests to me that this WILL, as Jim said, likely sail on through the Senate.

Scuba: "I love the points you made about OSHA vs OH law and the BMV recommendations vs law."

Scuba, I loved that Jim mentioned that, too! It was genius to suggest that hearing protection is so important that the law is regularly "broken" in the face of common sense. A brilliant rhetorical move; perhaps unintentional, but brilliant nonetheless 😆

There was a minor procedural adjustment to our bill today. A metric buttload of House Reps signed on as co-sponsors. We almost have enough votes just with sponsors and co-sponsors.

• Beer 4

This may have been asked. What is the wording of the bill, Jim? Only allows hearing protection? Anything on earbuds?

Thanks for your work on this! These people serve at our behest. Not the other way around. I know too many old timers that suffer hearing loss. To get a ticket for protecting our hearing is tyranny, plain and simple.

24 minutes ago, Blitz said:

This may have been asked. What is the wording of the bill, Jim? Only allows hearing protection? Anything on earbuds?

You may put anything you want in your ear as long as it is for hearing protection. So noise canceling earbuds would be ok, but for music or even navigation instructions it would not. There is no way we are getting music allowed, I was asked about that several times, it would be a deal killer. Here is part of the legal analysis provided to the House. There is also a clear exception for 'headphones' that are built into the helmet, you can use those for anything you want.

The bill clarifies that both earphones and earplugs include devices that provide the user either entertainment (radio programs, music, etc.) or hearing protection. As such, under the bill, a person operating a motor vehicle is prohibited from wearing earphones or earplugs, in both ears, for either hearing protection or for entertainment purposes. However, a person operating a motorcycle has the limited, permitted exception of wearing earphones or earplugs for hearing protection.

Full text of the bill, and the legal and financial analysis is here:  https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-documents?id=GA133-HB-129

Interesting thing I learned reading through these documents, the current law is a minor misdemeanor. Now that is pretty f'd up.

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

You may put anything you want in your ear as long as it is for hearing protection. So noise canceling earbuds would be ok, but for music or even navigation instructions it would not. There is no way we are getting music allowed, I was asked about that several times, it would be a deal killer. Here is part of the legal analysis provided to the House. There is also a clear exception for 'headphones' that are built into the helmet, you can use those for anything you want.

The bill clarifies that both earphones and earplugs include devices that provide the user either entertainment (radio programs, music, etc.) or hearing protection. As such, under the bill, a person operating a motor vehicle is prohibited from wearing earphones or earplugs, in both ears, for either hearing protection or for entertainment purposes. However, a person operating a motorcycle has the limited, permitted exception of wearing earphones or earplugs for hearing protection.

Full text of the bill, and the legal and financial analysis is here:  https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-documents?id=GA133-HB-129

Interesting thing I learned reading through these documents, the current law is a minor misdemeanor. Now that is pretty f'd up.

Interesting.

I wonder where my usage falls. I use noise isolating earbuds with foam for the dual purpose of hearing protection and communication, sometimes music. They’re always in for hearing protection and if I’m not wearing them, I’m wearing actual ear plugs. But I do occasionally listen to music.

I guess if I make the argument that the sole use is for hearing protection, I have an affirmative defense with the bill as written.

17 minutes ago, Blitz said:

Interesting.

I wonder where my usage falls. I use noise isolating earbuds with foam for the dual purpose of hearing protection and communication, sometimes music. They’re always in for hearing protection and if I’m not wearing them, I’m wearing actual ear plugs. But I do occasionally listen to music.

I guess if I make the argument that the sole use is for hearing protection, I have an affirmative defense with the bill as written.

I don't think you do, I am certain that is not their intent. They are against music.

.......a person operating a motor vehicle is prohibited from wearing earphones or earplugs, in both ears, for either hearing protection or for entertainment purposes. However, a person 
operating a motorcycle has the limited, permitted exception of wearing earphones or earplugs for hearing protection.

• Casper unpinned this topic