Lets fix this ear plug BS

Tonik

So I heard over the weekend that motorcyclists got an exemption from the law that makes it illegal to wear hearing protection while riding. Specifically earplugs FOR hearing protection, not earphones/etc. Supposedly this happened last summer/fall. So there may have been another effort going through in conjunction with this one that succeeded? 

Andy, as I understand it we had a real shot at making earplugs legal, but not earphones. However, the legislation was dropped earlier this spring, so no vote actually took place. I hope I'm wrong, but that was my understanding. See previous posts in this thread from late winter/early spring.

Something so simple, so bilaterally agreed upon, and even it got fuxored as a way to nudge colleagues into supporting a tax increase until it was stripped from the final bill like a used up hooker.

Politicians suck.  Government sucks.

• Beer 2

Scott, I couldn't agree more. It is well-known that wind causes hearing damage to riders. It might have been a good idea to have presented politicians with medical studies documenting this, but it appears that those involved cared little about changing/amending the law. This certainly will not stop me from using ear plugs when riding. I never hit the road without them. Ridiculous.

• Beer 2

21 hours ago, SpecialEd said:

Andy, as I understand it we had a real shot at making earplugs legal, but not earphones. However, the legislation was dropped earlier this spring, so no vote actually took place. I hope I'm wrong, but that was my understanding. See previous posts in this thread from late winter/early spring.

I'm aware of the effort that was put into this on our end. I am saying that supposedly there was another bill that went through last year that changed the classification of motorcyclists to be in line with other jobs/etc that are allowed to wear hearing protection while operating a vehicle. The example I got was construction workers, garbage truck operators, etc. OSHA mandates that hearing protection must be worn in certain situations and that would put OSHA regs in direct conflict with state law, which can't happen, thus the exemption they get. 

Since I pick up my new bike in the morning I will suspend my non-posting cuz I don't have a bike for this one post because you guys are killing me with the misinformation.

There is no new law, there have been no changes and wearing hearing protection on a motorcycle while in Ohio is still illegal. OSHA regulations do not apply unless you are riding your motorcycle for work and I do not know how that would go in court.

Anyone that told Andy otherwise is mistaken. They must have saw our effort and thought we made it through, we did not. And we were left out of the transportation bill that was just passed.

We now have HB 129 that is in the House Transportation Committee, it has had it's first hearing. I am sure it will sail through since our Rep that has been helping us is the Vice Chairman on that committee.  Once that is done I will have all of you contact the hell out of our House Reps to get yes votes on the floor. House won't be a problem we passed last time with 100 percent yes votes in the House.

We will need to work VERY hard on the Senate when we get there, there is a reason they dropped us from the Transportation bill. Someone with power in the Senate must be against us.

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, Tonik said:

Since I pick up my new bike in the morning I will suspend my non-posting cuz I don't have a bike for this one post because you guys are killing me with the misinformation.

There is no new law, there have been no changes and wearing hearing protection on a motorcycle while in Ohio is still illegal. OSHA regulations do not apply unless you are riding your motorcycle for work and I do not know how that would go in court.

Anyone that told Andy otherwise is mistaken. They must have saw our effort and thought we made it through, we did not. And we were left out of the transportation bill that was just passed.

We now have HB 129 that is in the House Transportation Committee, it has had it's first hearing. I am sure it will sail through since our Rep that has been helping us is the Vice Chairman on that committee.  Once that is done I will have all of you contact the hell out of our House Reps to get yes votes on the floor. House won't be a problem we passed last time with 100 percent yes votes in the House.

We will need to work VERY hard on the Senate when we get there, there is a reason they dropped us from the Transportation bill. Someone with power in the Senate must be against us.

It wasn't listing riders under OSHA, it just gives types of operators that require hearing protection an exemption from the law - at least that's how it was explained to me. This came from an organization that 'should' know what is going on. I wish I had gotten the exact bill they cited that got through as they were 100% certain it had been made law. I explained this attempt to legalize it and they said it was different from what was passed. 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, what said:

It wasn't listing riders under OSHA, it just gives types of operators that require hearing protection an exemption from the law - at least that's how it was explained to me. This came from an organization that 'should' know what is going on. I wish I had gotten the exact bill they cited that got through as they were 100% certain it had been made law. I explained this attempt to legalize it and they said it was different from what was passed. 🤷‍♂️

You talked to the AMA guy didn't you. He told me that too when I first contacted them to help us. If that is who you chatted with, they should know as you said, but they are mistaken.

The current law has the exceptions you mention, it does not include us.

Here it is, and you can search away for any mention of ear plugs or hearing or motorcycle you want to.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.84

Edited by Tonik

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 2:23 PM, Tonik said:

I've been wondering about this for a bit. Something hasn't seemed right. All we are asking for is earplugs for hearing protection, yet the wording of the bills keep getting changed from "earplugs" to "earplugs and earphones for music." I still wear my earplugs. Frickin wind is loud.

9 hours ago, motocat12 said:

This could help or hurt us. While it shows that the wind can cause hearing damage even at low speeds, the Dr also states that he is against ear plugs. "It's not a good idea to wear ear plugs when you ride - you can't be aware of your surroundings."  

Those of us that do wear ear plugs know that statement to be false. My Pinlock plugs block out a nice amount of noise while riding, but I can still hear what else is going on around me. 

2 hours ago, Koala said:

This could help or hurt us. While it shows that the wind can cause hearing damage even at low speeds, the Dr also states that he is against ear plugs. "It's not a good idea to wear ear plugs when you ride - you can't be aware of your surroundings."  

Those of us that do wear ear plugs know that statement to be false. My Pinlock plugs block out a nice amount of noise while riding, but I can still hear what else is going on around me. 

I meant cyclist Ohioans in general. Screw him.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

So we start again.

Our favorite Rep, Representative McClain is sponsoring us again and is Vice Chair for the Transportation Committee. He has introduced HB 129 and we have had our first hearing. The next hearing is Tuesday the 7th and I will be there testifying. They expect that we will be voted on during that hearing, and that we will be on the House floor the next day for a vote.

Then we get to work on the Senate.

Find your House Rep at the link below and send them an email expressing your support for HB 129 which is expected to be on the floor for a vote next week.

http://www.ohiohouse.gov/index

I want to clarify some misinformation that has been bandied about here and other places.

1) There has been no change in the law prior to this, it is still illegal to wear ear plugs.

2) This version mentions ear phones and head phones being ok but ONLY for hearing protection. NOT for music. So noise canceling headphones/ear plugs will be ok when we pass. Ear plugs blasting Wu Tang will not.

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

So we start again.

Our favorite Rep, Representative McClain is sponsoring us again and is Vice Chair for the Transportation Committee. He has introduced HB 129 and we have had our first hearing. The next hearing is Tuesday the 7th and I will be there testifying. They expect that we will be voted on during that hearing, and that we will be on the House floor the next day for a vote.

Then we get to work on the Senate.

Find your House Rep at the link below and send them an email expressing your support for HB 129 which is expected to be on the floor for a vote next week.

http://www.ohiohouse.gov/index

I want to clarify some misinformation that has been bandied about here and other places.

1) There has been no change in the law prior to this, it is still illegal to wear ear plugs.

2) This version mentions ear phones and head phones being ok but ONLY for hearing protection. NOT for music. So noise canceling headphones/ear plugs will be ok when we pass. Ear plugs blasting Wu Tang will not.

DONE!!! Just sent a love note to Sarah LaTourette, my representative. This damned thing WILL PASS this time.

• Beer 1

. . . and here's the email I received afterward:

"Thanks for reaching out to Representative LaTourette. The Representative appreciates when her constituents take the time to let us know their opinions and feelings regarding the issues they may encounter. 

I will be sure to pass your words along to the Representative; however, it is unlikely to come up for a vote before Representative LaTourette's last day on May 5th. The Speaker has announced that a screening panel will interview candidates to fill the vacancy the week of June 3rd. Cover letters and resumes for individuals interested in filling the vacancy are being accepted until May 30th."

Sincerely,
Chynna Brady
Interim Legislative Aide
State Representative Sarah LaTourette |District 76

23 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

. . . and here's the email I received afterward:

"Thanks for reaching out to Representative LaTourette. The Representative appreciates when her constituents take the time to let us know their opinions and feelings regarding the issues they may encounter. 

I will be sure to pass your words along to the Representative; however, it is unlikely to come up for a vote before Representative LaTourette's last day on May 5th. The Speaker has announced that a screening panel will interview candidates to fill the vacancy the week of June 3rd. Cover letters and resumes for individuals interested in filling the vacancy are being accepted until May 30th."

Sincerely,
Chynna Brady
Interim Legislative Aide
State Representative Sarah LaTourette |District 76

Yea, she got into a bit of a tiff with the House Speaker. So she is leaving to take a position in DeWine's administration.

13 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Yea, she got into a bit of a tiff with the House Speaker. So she is leaving to take a position in DeWine's administration.

(Sigh . . . ) Oh, the politics of politics.

• Casper unpinned this topic