Lets fix this ear plug BS

Tonik

Ok, another call to action gang. We need to make the Senate phones ring. I have covered Senator Dolan in my district, his aide was very helpful as everyone down there has been. Dolan was on the committee last year when I testified and we chatted. I am hopeful he will help. But the more we get the better off we are, in fact YOUR Senator may be key, one of them is bound to be on the reconciliation committee.

1) Let them know we made passed the House last year with 100 percent yes votes.

2) We passed the Senate Transportation Committee with 100 percent yes votes but we were unable to get to the Senate floor before the session ended.

3) Then explain we are in the House version of the Transportation Budget but for some unknown reason the Senate Transportation Committee removed us and that they need to help get us added back in during reconciliation.

http://www.ohiosenate.gov/senators/district-map

• Beer 1

So using your link, I looked up my district senator. But before I call I have some questions. You said " Let them know we made passed the House last year with 100 percent yes votes." Who is the "we" you are referring to? Do we use a senate bill number as a reference? Or do I just call the senator and say that I'm a rider trying to get earplugs legalized? I don't think they'll have any clue of what I'm referring to.

Thanks for the help, I'd like to give my senator a call today.

1 hour ago, Leon614 said:

So using your link, I looked up my district senator. But before I call I have some questions. You said " Let them know we made passed the House last year with 100 percent yes votes." Who is the "we" you are referring to? Do we use a senate bill number as a reference? Or do I just call the senator and say that I'm a rider trying to get earplugs legalized? I don't think they'll have any clue of what I'm referring to.

Thanks for the help, I'd like to give my senator a call today.

"we" refers to all of the people that got this process started, but it is not a real organization. A group of riders here including me, some help from ABATE and AMA after we got it started.

You want to refer to the current 'Transportation Budget' that is before the Senate and House. It's bill number is 62, but Transportation Budget will be plenty. If you want more talking points on why legalizing them is a good idea read the first post in this thread.

Really appreciate the help Leon, very cool you.

Jim, I was a little late coming to this party. I have posted your original post on Britrider.com, www.triumphrat.net, Ducati Monster Forums, and Ducati. org. Below is a reply to my post on Triumph.Rat. The rider is from Lorain County Ohio. I will ad your last post to my posts on these sites. Hopefully we can get this stupid law repealed. Any idea how many riders in Ohio have been ticked for the earplug violation? 

Great idea - Thanks for providing the link & an example letter.
I just sent my own letter to Senator Manning (District 13). Hopefully they'll listen!

1 hour ago, BudDaytonRat said:

Any idea how many riders in Ohio have been ticked for the earplug violation

Don't know, I should have thought of that when we started and pulled a public records request. But honestly we are not getting any opposition on this. We just keep bumping into procedural BS.

I called District 16 Senator Kunze yesterday, it went to voicemail so I left a quick message saying all that Tonik asked us to say. I also stressed that this is to combat wind noise. I was talking to one of my non-biker friends and mentioned that it's illegal to wear earplugs on a motorcycle. His response was "Well don't get a loud exhaust then." The majority of people don't know wind noise can be damaging to hearing even when wearing a helmet. I didn't know that myself until I started riding last year.

The most frustrating part is that literally no one opposes this, it's frustrating that some committee can remove it without having any explanations.

Senator Kunzes office just called me back, they said there’s still a chance this may be back on, the house and senate are meeting today-this weekend on this bill. If it doesn’t, Rep McClaine has introduced a stand-alone bill which is HB 129 which is trying to get motorcyclists to be able to wear earplugs. I just got the call and haven’t been able to look any of this up online yet.

25 minutes ago, Leon614 said:

Senator Kunzes office just called me back, they said there’s still a chance this may be back on, the house and senate are meeting today-this weekend on this bill. If it doesn’t, Rep McClaine has introduced a stand-alone bill which is HB 129 which is trying to get motorcyclists to be able to wear earplugs. I just got the call and haven’t been able to look any of this up online yet.

Good job. McClaine is our guy during all of this. We will get it done with him if this effort fails.

• Beer 1

I received this email. Probably lip service but at least I got a response.
Good morning,
 Thank you for your email. Representative Antani works very hard to learn about each issue, and always appreciates the input of his constituents.
I have passed along your email to Representative Antani and he will look into the issue. If you have any additional comments or questions, please do not hesitate to contact our office.
Thanks,

Jonathan Fausey
Legislative Aide
Ohio House of Representatives
Office of State Representative Niraj Antani
District 42
614-466-6504

Cross your fingers, today is the day for reconciliation. And....boom...my Senator is on that reconciliation committee. I called earlier in the week and he was on the Senate committee I spoke at last year. Chatted with him then.

As of last night we are dead. I would bet because some asshat added in music.

Motorcycle hearing protection provisions. The House wanted to clarify in state law that bikers can wear earphones or earplugs for hearing protection, as well as listening to music. The Senate nixed those provisions and prevailed.

I received a reply from my State Senator. Her reply and my reply to her email. Is the law repealed or is still illegal to use earplugs? 

Mr. Bingham,
Thank you for contacting our office. I always appreciate hearing from constituents who have thoughts or concerns about issues facing our state and community.
As you may know, House Bill 129, introduced by Representative Riordan McClain, would permit a person to wear earphones or earplugs for hearing protection while operating a motorcycle. H.B. 129 is currently assigned to the House Transportation and Public Safety Committee, where it had its first hearing on March 26, 2019. While I am not a member of this chamber, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind should H.B. 129 come before me in the Senate.
Thank you again for your correspondence. If you have any additional questions or concerns in the future regarding state issues, please do not hesitate to contact my office.
Sincerely,
Peggy Lehner
State Senator
6th District
My reply.
Thank you so much for the reply. The way I understand what is going on with this. As you stated the law has been repealed. However it was left out of the Transportation Budget verbiage. Still keeping it in place. I hope you are correct and the law is no longer valid.

10 hours ago, blue72beetle said:

Fuckin a, politicians are idiots. They let deaf people drive, right?

A disturbing fact of life. Most have the common sense of a toad and can't get or have never held a real job, so they run for office.

Motorcycle Hearing Protection (jdsupra.com) April 6, 2019

"While the House wanted to specifically codify the ability for motorcyclists to wear earphone/earplugs for hearing protection or for listening to music, the Senate eliminated this provision and it was not included in the final bill."

May be redundant at this point, but I just received this from a Google alert this morning. Sucks.

• Casper unpinned this topic