Lets fix this ear plug BS

Tonik

dayum. forgot to post this up last night, i guess you dont need this any more since you typed up the necessary stuff already. But i will go ahead and post up since i wasted few hours lol :D 

Noise induced hearing loss is a significant cause for hearing impairment in adults. The 2016 National Academies of Sciences reported nearly one in four adults (24%) had audiometric notches, suggesting a high prevalence of noise-induced hearing loss. Noise-induced hearing loss is one of the underestimated consequences motorcyclist suffer from while enjoying this hobby. Contrary to the usual belief the major contributor to the noise exposure is wind turbulence developing around the ears and not the actual engine or exhaust noises. The amount of turbulence and hence the noise exposure can vary from type of motorcycle, wind protection it offers and above all the type of helmet the rider uses. Despite these several factors, even inside the best full face helmet the noise level can reach up to 110 to 115db at speeds ranging from 35mph to highway speeds.  To put this into perspective this level of exposure should be compared to well-studied recommendations from United States Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Accordingly a time-weighted average exposure greater than 85 dB must be enrolled in a hearing conservation program and provided hearing protection. And exposure values greater than 90 dB (comparable to power lawn mower), may only be exposed to eight hours, values at 95 dB only for four hours and levels of 100 dB only for less than 2 hours. Based on the chart from this recommendation the average noise exposure faced by a rider which is around 110dB can lead to hearing loss if exposed for more than just 15 mins. The counter argument usually raised against wearing earplugs is poor reaction towards essential road noises like car horns and emergency vehicles. But the physics behind sounds waves and human physiology like air conduction and bone conduction etc dictate that these sounds can easily be perceived by a rider wearing common ear plugs. If subjective opinion counts and taken into account we can almost guarantee that not even one negative experience to share or an opinion against using them despite million of miles and hours of earplug usage among the riders. 

Reference: 

Vital Signs: Noise-Induced Hearing Loss Among Adults - United States 2011-2012. Carroll YI, et al: MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017;66(5):139

New strategies for prevention and treatment of noise-induced hearing loss. Prasher D : Lancet. 1998;352(9136):1240. Institute of Laryngology and Otology, University College London, UK. 

Recommendations for a noise standard. In: Occupational Noise Exposure: NIOSH Publication Number 98-126/CDC/NIOSH. www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/98-126/chap1.html (Accessed on December 19, 2006

@NinjaDoc

Please put that in an email, and send it to Josh, his addy is a few posts back and say you are a doctor and want to give written testimony.

It will be read by all the committee members with no public angst on your part.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

@NinjaDoc

Please put that in an email, and send it to Josh, his addy is a few posts back and say you are a doctor and want to give written testimony.

It will be read by all the committee members with no public angst on your part.

dang, cant find it. is it this one you are referring to  >Rep87@ohiohouse.gov

Ok, it is on for sure. I am leaving Cleveland at some ungodly hour tomorrow to drive down there. Meeting Josh in the State House a little before 9. There are 5 or 6 bills on the agenda so don't know exactly when I will be on. There is someone else from a 'motorcycle advocacy group' also testifying. To the best of Josh's knowledge there is no opposition speakers.

Had to go buy a suit coat FFS, my suit doesn't fit me anymore. I may need to get in on the weight loss thread.

I will talk to Josh in detail about the next steps after it clears committees. We still have to get leadership to bring it to the floor and then at that point I think we will need to make the Rep's phones ring with supporters. It's good that this rep is an R since they control the House.

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I just emailed all the Co-Sponsors asking them to pick the bill up and run with it.  You can find all of them here:

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-summary?id=GA132-HB-280

is this going to affect anything? http://nbc4i.com/2017/11/15/ohio-state-house-rep-wes-goodman-resigns-after-inappropriate-behavior/

I noticed his name is on the bill as primary sponsor.

43 minutes ago, Tonik said:

1 minute ago, 2talltim said:

is this going to affect anything? http://nbc4i.com/2017/11/15/ohio-state-house-rep-wes-goodman-resigns-after-inappropriate-behavior/

I noticed his name is on the bill as primary sponsor.

Josh from former Rep Goodman's office just called me. All of the people I emailed called him. He is still the LA for that district until someone new comes in and maybe fires him. He is working VERY hard to get our bill and some other bills picked up by another Rep. And the Chair of the Committee I went before is working on it also. Josh is still confident, but there will be a bit of a delay before it goes to the Committee for a vote.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thank you deeply to all of those who have been involved in this thus far.  I haven't been online much for some time, and this is the first I'm seeing this.

I suffer from tinnitus seemingly 24-7 due to both occupational and recreational exposure to excessive sound pressure levels in the past 3 decades out of my 4 on this earth.  I can't ride my bike for more than an hour or two (without HEARING PROTECTION!) at 55mph+ without feeling like I have cotton wads stuffed in my ears for the rest of the day, not to mention earaches and fatigue. 

It is discussed widely that exposure to the wind noise not only permanently damages hearing, but also causes additional fatigue. This may be yet another minor sub-point to add to the argument, although the hearing protection argument (and the OSHA 85dB workplace limit, great interjection there) should be more than enough to carry this bill.

Let's hope the politicians can get something good to happen in our state's government now...

Thank you again to all who have had any involvement thus far. One less thing to be harassed by angry police officers and state troopers about...

-Chuck in Columbus

• Beer 1

• 4 months later...

Not much activity in this thread. I guess everybody's been out riding. 

The latest I can find is:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/motorcyclists-can-wear-earplugs-under-bill-passed-ohio-house/sLKvBeMkIj0OPhR0LkvzUK/

In short words, the House passed House Bill 548, 89-0, to allow motorcycle riders a choice of whether to use ear plugs. In other words - make it legal to wear them.

I couldn't find anything on any activity in the Senate. 

45 minutes ago, Shoop said:

Not much activity in this thread. I guess everybody's been out riding. 

The latest I can find is:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/motorcyclists-can-wear-earplugs-under-bill-passed-ohio-house/sLKvBeMkIj0OPhR0LkvzUK/

In short words, the House passed House Bill 548, 89-0, to allow motorcycle riders a choice of whether to use ear plugs. In other words - make it legal to wear them.

I couldn't find anything on any activity in the Senate. 

I did another thread on it. Senate is on break, I am in contact with all the peeps there. All the motorcycle otgs are behind us. My contact says it will sail through. It has to go through the same process, committee and all that. I'll testify again.

When it comes up in the Senate it will have the same number.

• Upvote 2

• Casper unpinned this topic