Lets fix this ear plug BS

Tonik

57 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I agree. I musta not heard the entire story. I'm assuming this was on a recent ride and a gsxr squid must have been involved. :banana:

I think it was the R1 that got the poopy stick this time. If he were wearing proper boots and not speed & strength skate shoes I bet the cop would have let him go. 

One point to remember he was wearing ear buds with music not ear plugs.

I am all in favor of not being ticketed for protecting my hearing, but there is no argument for ear buds and music...its worse on your hearing than no ear plugs and wind noise.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, whaler said:

One point to remember he was wearing ear buds with music not ear plugs.

Good point Brian, I knew that and completely forgot that nuance. So, would the cop have ignored ear plugs...that certainly is a possibility.  So this thread is useless, it should be locked and the OP should be banned.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 2

On 3/3/2017 at 9:42 AM, TimTheAzn said:

I agree. I musta not heard the entire story. I'm assuming this was on a recent ride and a gsxr squid must have been involved. :banana:

On 3/3/2017 at 10:13 AM, Tonik said:

I'm guessing he missed his blinky lights and was trying to find a way to compensate by getting the Staties to turn theirs on.

On 3/3/2017 at 10:41 AM, what said:

I think it was the R1 that got the poopy stick this time. If he were wearing proper boots and not speed & strength skate shoes I bet the cop would have let him go. 

On 3/3/2017 at 10:47 AM, TimTheAzn said:

Who was on the R1?

First want to explain... it's not running if he never actually gets behind you and lights you up.  I'm not going to sit around and wait for him to catch up and light me up.  If he can catch me and lets me know he is pulling ME over, then I'll stop. 

Second, I do miss those lights and yes the cops lights definitely reminded me of them.  

Third, it wasn't the guy on the R6* that got pulled over.  He also 'ran'.  For some reason, he didn't realize why I took off like a missile and didn't see @6rMark (ZX6R) get pulled over, so he actually turned around to find out what happened.  Only to realize that Mark had been stopped and tried to sneakily turn around and head the direction we were originally going. 

Lastly, he got a ticket for 100 in a 55 that is waiverable + the earplug/earphone ticket.  His lawyer goes tomorrow to fight it.  I will keep everyone posted as to the outcome of this tragedy.  As for now, I will be emailing the proposed letter to my representatives.  I agree, the earplugs law needs to change, irregardless of whether they are enforcing it or not. 

9 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

First want to explain... it's not running if he never actually gets behind you and lights you up.

My cop friend, who is also a biker agrees.  The cop pulled over the guy he wanted, if he wanted the others he should have lit you up.  I have seen it done to cars running together on the turnpike.  The cop goes beside each one with the lights on and points to the side of the road.

2 minutes ago, Tonik said:

My cop friend, who is also a biker agrees.  The cop pulled over the guy he wanted, if he wanted the others he should have lit you up.  I have seen it done to cars running together on the turnpike.  The cop goes beside each one with the lights on and points to the side of the road.

There should be a rule about you can only pull 1 car over at a time as 1 officer. Dickbags.....

7 minutes ago, Tonik said:

That happened one time. He stopped me but didn't take my license. After he went after the next person I just drove and got off the turnpike. That was like 12 years ago. 

23 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

There should be a rule about you can only pull 1 car over at a time as 1 officer. Dickbags.....

There is a rule about speeding that most of us don't follow.  Why should the cops have rules too?

56 minutes ago, Tonik said:

There is a rule about speeding that most of us don't follow.  Why should the cops have rules too?

They dont. They have "guidelines". :lol: When they dont follow those, they get paid vacations.

1 hour ago, durk said:

Would it be possible to catch breakfast sometime on a Saturday morning?

Nice job man!!  I would be interested in showing up if he/you thinks it would be helpful.

Here are some factoids to toss at him.

While it is hard to be certain it appears that around 30 States already allow ear plugs.  California started allowing them in 2004 and we can find no reports of issues because of this change.

Noise levels at only 35 mph are in the range of 110 to 130 dB. Every doctor and hearing expert in the world will say over 85DB is bad news and will result in permanent hearing loss.

This is NOT a loud bike issue, this is about the wind noise that is reaching these dB levels.

Federal Law REQUIRES hearing protection over 85dB in the workplace, it is immoral for Ohio to require us by law to be exposed to levels far in excess of that.

Some articles that contain testimonials from doctors and so on.

http://www.ideastream.org/news/earplugs-helpful-but-illegal-for-ohio-motorcyclists

http://legalmatch.typepad.com/businesslaw/2015/09/motorcyclists-object-to-state-laws-forbidding-use-of-earplugs.html

• Upvote 3

Just now, jschaf said:

Offer to loan him some earplugs & let him ride bitch with & without earplugs so he can see for himself.

F'ing genius. And yea, he can ride bitch on the great white donut hauler.  Weather permitting, I will bring him a helmet.

And another thing. How come deaf people can drive?

I get they adjust to the hearing loss, and use their other senses more. Well guess what, so do we. Our heads are on a swivel and we are non stop looking, or we are dead.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I would be interested in showing up if he/you thinks it would be helpful.

Just responded to the email and mentioned you would be interested in meeting him as well. I asked him how he wished to proceed. Thanks for the additional facts. I'll keep you posted. 

• Tonik pinned this topic
  • Casper unpinned this topic