2014 Super Tenere ES

ScubaCinci

37 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

I'd like to get a BMW S1000XR if I sell it...but I may just get an FJ-09 and keep this.

Are you really making much of a ergonomic change with the BMW vs the S10? Might be set up more for the tarmac in the suspension than the S10 but just seems like the ergo's are really simular. FJ09 seems like a really nice platform I'm trying real hard to get my wife to demo one and give up the tractor she rides now.

The BMW is a lot lighter and frankly I miss an I4 engine...it's a fast bike but comfy. I just dig them. I'd love a Multistrada but I think the BMW will be more reliable. The FJ-09 would be perfect if it came with grip warmers and cruise control (why oh why doesn't have cruise control????). I can add those on but by the time I do that and looking at the differences in component quality (brakes, suspension, etc) the BMW isn't all that more expensive for a lightly used one for ~$14k - $15k.

• Upvote 1

I'll miss it for sure...though if I was concerned about the money, I wouldn't be looking at a beemer :D

If I could only keep one bike, the Tenere would probably be it. It's so versatile. But if I get a second bike, one or the other will sit most of the time and that's just a waste. I'm ok with that if the other bike is for totally different riding (like the XRL) but if they overlap by a lot it's just going to clog up my garage.

BTW, a guy is coming from IL on Sat who intends to buy and if not there are at least 2 others chomping at the bit.

Edited by ScubaCinci

Oh shit...don't ask :lol:Let's just say it'll be at least a week before I get the bike and I've ordered $2000 worth of stuff. To be fair, almost $700 of that was for a new Neotec helmet because mine is over 5 years old and it's showing it's age. It's coincidental that I'm getting it at the same time...I had already planned on doing so. Another $1100 was for luggage (Shad top and side cases) and then I got a few odds and ends. After I get it, I'll have to evaluate the seat and windscreen. Anything else would be for aesthetics as it doesn't need anything. At some point I may pick up an Akrapovic exhaust but fuck they are $1200 for the can alone.

• Upvote 1

Joe:  Be interested in how smooth or vibey the motor is.  Read a ton of reviews in the mags that bitched pretty loudly about the motor tingling.

Sounds like some of the effect is fixable with heavier bar ends.

10 hours ago, Bubba said:

Joe:  Be interested in how smooth or vibey the motor is.  Read a ton of reviews in the mags that bitched pretty loudly about the motor tingling.

Sounds like some of the effect is fixable with heavier bar ends.

Will do. Some owners say it's no issue and some think it's terrible which means it's a mix of variations per bike and owner sensitivity. They addressed it with the '17 model though some still say the '17 has a few vibes. I'm having the dealer retrofit the '17 dampers onto the '16 I'm getting (this is something BMW is covering for pre -'17 owners that ask for it) and we'll see how it feels. I always put the grip buddies on which helps anyway and I'm not that sensitive to vibes so I don't see it being an issue for me. When slabbing it, there's cruise control so you can always rest either hand (or both!). Plus, as you said, heavier bar ends tend to cure it for a lot of people.

This is really the only major complaint I've read about the bike from owners and "professional" reviewers. Reliability seems to be excellent.

12 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

Will do. Some owners say it's no issue and some think it's terrible which means it's a mix of variations per bike and owner sensitivity. They addressed it with the '17 model though some still say the '17 has a few vibes. I'm having the dealer retrofit the '17 dampers onto the '16 I'm getting (this is something BMW is covering for pre -'17 owners that ask for it) and we'll see how it feels. I always put the grip buddies on which helps anyway and I'm not that sensitive to vibes so I don't see it being an issue for me. When slabbing it, there's cruise control so you can always rest either hand (or both!). Plus, as you said, heavier bar ends tend to cure it for a lot of people.

This is really the only major complaint I've read about the bike from owners and "professional" reviewers. Reliability seems to be excellent.

First Generation FZ1 had the same complaints, I have ridden 4 different bikes and all were pretty much the same.  It has more to do with sensitivity and point of reference than anything.