Columbus Ohio XR650L owner

Marine3313

Hello all I'm 42 and live in Columbus Ohio. I just bought a 2012 XR650L last September. It's stock except for a Clark tank and rear rack and bag. I'm looking to de smog and get daves carb mod done but don't feel confident on doing it myself. Does anyone know where I could have this done or perhaps another member want to help me out on this? Thanks again and I'll post pics of my baby!!

IMG_0517.PNG

IMG_0518.PNG

IMG_0656.JPG

It's very simple actually...seems like a lot but the hardest part is pulling the carb and compared to a lot of bikes, it's a piece of cake. If you are unsure, take pictures before you do anything and pics and you take things apart. That way you can see how it was before you mucked with it.

Edited by ScubaCinci
  • Upvote 1

Thanks. That makes sense. I just don't know about re jetting it and all that. It's like a  foreign language to me. Pretty sad huh. I want to learn about this stuff just don't have anyone I know that rides. So I mainly solo ride. Being a Marine you would think I could do this I just don't wanna muck stuff up. I like the picture idea though. If I were to take it somewhere what would I expect to pay for that to be done. Thanks again. 

I messed with the jetting quite a bit and couldn't get it quite right. Then a guy on the AdvRider forum told me to get the dynojet kit because the stock needle is crap. Basically he told me get the kit, drill out the vaacum holes (as per the Dave's mods),  swap the spring for the DJ one, put a 65 pilot and the DJ165 main jet and you should be good to go. This assumes you de-smog and are using the Uni filter for better air flow. I'm also using an FMF Slip on. It runs awesome now.

• Upvote 1

Yes he does have the sickness!! I hope I get to meet all of you. I'll probably ride in Wayne Nat. And down around Lancaster and Logan. Swap this and that for the pilot and main?? It's sad that I don't know that. I need someone to help me or I'm gonna have to take it to Ask Motorsports. Thanks all for the welcome. 

I'm sure there are some columbus peeps that could lend a hand. Lots of very knowledgeable folks on here in that area. I'd recommend NOT taking it to a shop or paying someone to do it for you. Not that the shop/person won't do it right but if you are able to do it yourself or with some assistance you'll learn more about the bike and have the confidence to work on it yourself even if it's just pulling the carb to clean it. Plus, that knowledge will translate to other thumpers. You never know when you'll be in the woods and something stops working and it certainly helps to have a clue as to where to start troubleshooting. Speaking of, the CDI's on these are known to go out over time. If you are every out and it just quits (and you aren't out of gas, etc). Trying tapping on the CDI box (located near the battery). This usually gets it working again at least until you can reach civilization. A bunch of us on ADV did a group buy of a programmable CDI from Czechoslovakia that is not only more dependable but can be programmed to alter the ignition curve and improve performance.

Also, check youtube for videos on how to do various things like valve check/adjustment which is ridiculously easy on this bike. When I had my DRZ, anything I wanted to do with the bike there was a how to video online. I tore that bike down, replaced the front and rear springs, re-jetted, re-greased the swingarm bolt...you name it. I'm not a mechanic by nature (more of a computer guy) but I didn't really have much difficulty save for stubborn bolts/nuts. Doing all that really helped me with other bikes I've had since including the XRL.

• Upvote 3

Thanks ScubaCinci. I think I might. I just watched a de smog vid on you tube. That one don't look too bad. And who knows. Maybe I'll run into a new buddy on the trails. Thanks again all and if you know of anyone pm me. Be safe. Thanks again. 

On 3/1/2017 at 8:36 AM, ScubaCinci said:

I'm sure there are some columbus peeps that could lend a hand. Lots of very knowledgeable folks on here in that area. I'd recommend NOT taking it to a shop or paying someone to do it for you. Not that the shop/person won't do it right but if you are able to do it yourself or with some assistance you'll learn more about the bike and have the confidence to work on it yourself even if it's just pulling the carb to clean it. Plus, that knowledge will translate to other thumpers. You never know when you'll be in the woods and something stops working and it certainly helps to have a clue as to where to start troubleshooting. Speaking of, the CDI's on these are known to go out over time. If you are every out and it just quits (and you aren't out of gas, etc). Trying tapping on the CDI box (located near the battery). This usually gets it working again at least until you can reach civilization. A bunch of us on ADV did a group buy of a programmable CDI from Czechoslovakia that is not only more dependable but can be programmed to alter the ignition curve and improve performance.

Also, check youtube for videos on how to do various things like valve check/adjustment which is ridiculously easy on this bike. When I had my DRZ, anything I wanted to do with the bike there was a how to video online. I tore that bike down, replaced the front and rear springs, re-jetted, re-greased the swingarm bolt...you name it. I'm not a mechanic by nature (more of a computer guy) but I didn't really have much difficulty save for stubborn bolts/nuts. Doing all that really helped me with other bikes I've had since including the XRL.

+1000 to Scuba's post.

I went from being a mechanically interested computer nerd to a kind-of competent shadetree motorcycle mechanic in 18 months by pouring over my motorcycles' service manuals, watching YouTube videos, leveraging this and other bike-specific forums and getting local friends' help with the trickier bits.  I started small, like changing my own oil and filter, changing sprockets, cleaning the chain and replacing brake and clutch fluid, then moving on to valve checks, cleaning carbs and slightly modifying them for better performance.  By the end, I had gone through three project bikes, multiple carb rebuilds, a full engine top-end, two repaints, multiple tire changes, three steering head and wheel bearing swaps, seat upholstery and more.  As a result, I now have a far better idea about how to handle trail breakdowns and nearly all of the periodic maintenance I now do myself on my Suzuki, Beta and Honda.  Oh, and I also know what I don't want to do myself anymore and am happy to pay a competent person to do for me while I speak in specifics to ensure it gets done right.

My work schedule has been brutal and doesn't appear to be improving soon, but I'm certain I (in Westerville) and others would be happy to help if you want to swing it over sometime.  Like Scuba said, the XR is a delightfully easy to work on (I have its little brother).  You're welcome to join us at our next PM party - that's a great way to get through the basics with advice from others and I have pretty much every tool you'd expect to need on the XR.

• Upvote 2

Thanks smccrory. Makes me feel mush better. I'd love to meet you and your friends at your next party PM being? Pre maintenance? I'm in Hilliard. My work schedule is weird too. Like I said I work in labors union and been laid off since December. Going back in next week or two. I normally work 7am-3pm m-f but some days when we have to close a freeway lane or close a road and off ramps I'll get off at noon go back at 7pm work till 5am but then have next day off. So it's weird and hectic makes planning anything a nightmare!! You can PM me anytime or email Marine3313@gmail.com. Thanks again. 

Richard