Mtb shoes

redkow97

A good stiff clipless cycling shoe does make a difference in comfort and efficiency, especially for road riding. I tried to use road shoes once but the lack of ability to walk safely in the shoes is a turn off. So I only use MTB shoes when riding on the road. For the fatbike I use BMX pedals. The large platform works well with boots for the winter and allows me to put a foot down quicker when I fail to clear an obstacle off road. Given my lack of skill that is quite often :(

Some of the off brand MTB shoes are decent at around $100 but most of the $50 shoes I have tried have been entirely too flexible, uncomfortable or both. Unfortunately this is one of those items where it is hard to go cheap. 

I am trying to not cheap out on stuff that touches my body, which is why $180 shoes on eBay for $50 are more appealing than spending the same money on cheaper shoes.

Sidi makes MTB shoes, and I own MC boots that I can (hopefully) use to compare fit.

You can adjust part of the fit with different insoles which you might want with used shoes. They're kind of shaped like soccer cleats with small soles and uppers that wrap around anyway, but harder for wide feet even in the store. Look at ventilation and what temp you plan on riding, avoiding sweaty or freezing toes is a plus. Also a stiff sole is your friend unless you plan on far hike-a-bike and commuting.

I've had Nike, Shimano, Cannondale, Specialized, Northwave, LG, Bont, Sidi  Most bought online only the LG, Bont, pearl izumi  were unwearable.