Ohio EPA RapidScreen

Wolfman1

So, I received a letter from E-check stating I passed my test for our Pathfinder.  The funny thing was I didn't take it to get tested.  As I read further I was told my vehicle was scanned on several occasions and the emissions were within tolerable limits.  I have never heard of an E-Check remote scan test, a few weeks later my registration came in the mail and it showed I passed the test.  So, I did some digging and found that Ohio has been doing these tests since 2012.  Apparently they have mobile units that travel all over, park at an entrance ramp on a major highway and scan every vehicle that goes by.  I would really like to see how all that info is calculated as people are driving by at 65 mph.  I don't know if I like this or not.  Any time a government agency is scanning me without my knowledge, I get a little uneasy. 

http://www.ohioecheck.info/rapidscreen

14 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Especially since some counties in ohio require it and some dont. Its like a peeing section in a swimming pool.....

It's down to 7 counties. Think it's Cuyahoga County and every county that borders it if I recall correct

16 minutes ago, Gump said:

Selfishly I'm glad I don't have to get e-checked but we need the EPA. We need more EPA. 

I am all for clean air and water, but the EPA has been running amuck, well beyond thier charter for far too long.   They need checks and balances like every other department.

• Upvote 4

I'll second Tpoppa's last post above.  It appears that instead of riding herd on big business they're out to fuck the little guy (you and me).

One of their projects is to make E-15 (or higher ethanol content) the fuel of choice.  If you don't own a flexfuel vehicle you will be spending $$$ or forced into buying a new vehicle that is alcohol friendly.

On a personal note I just don't like any government interfering in my life...motor vehicles, guns, my home.  Not completely true; I actually fucking hate it.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

You mean the same EPA that fines giant companies pennies on the dollar for polluting the globe, but tells me I'm committing a felony if I try to recycle more than ten motorcycle tires at a time? 

Yeah... they're so useful. 

Yeah no kidding, I got about 30 tires at the house right now. Luckily the tire shop is about 5 miles from my house. 2 bucks a tire to get rid of them.

14 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

Yeah no kidding, I got about 30 tires at the house right now. Luckily the tire shop is about 5 miles from my house. 2 bucks a tire to get rid of them.

Same problem as you and IP... pile of tires 

One of the primary uses of the EPA has been to make Washington insiders rich.  And they don't care that the EPA was beyond they charter.

Scenario:

Suddenly many politicians and insiders invest in a "Green Energy" company that you and I have never heard of.  Even if we had heard of it, these investments are not available to the general public.

Soon after, the EPA "coincidentally," passes regulation and/or press release which causes this unknown company's stock to soar.  Sometimes these companies are even propped up by federal funding.  

Then these "savvy" Washington investors seem to know when to divest just before these, once stable, companies go right out of business.  It happens over and over. 

You and I would go to jail for this, that's why Congress voted themselves exempt from insider trading laws.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/10/22/so-just-how-rich-is-congress-richer-than-you/?utm_term=.9c96e92a9109

I don't think we can ever get away from convenient political corruption and even though it's often viewed as corrupt, I Still say we need more common sense EPA. Complaining about your trivial pile of tires, is really not relevant. 

37 minutes ago, Gump said:

I don't think we can ever get away from convenient political corruption and even though it's often viewed as corrupt, I Still say we need more common sense EPA. Complaining about your trivial pile of tires, is really not relevant. 

Common sense EPA is fine. Over reaching EPA is not, which has been the case for a long time.

• Upvote 4

To make this worse, government research money gets funneled to "scientists" who politely support EPA regulations and propagate fear so we hand over more cash.  Those who disagree get blacklisted and no research money.  We end up with junk science and acceptance of never ending regulation designed to separate us from our money.

21 minutes ago, whaler said:

To make this worse, government research money gets funneled to "scientists" who politely support EPA regulations and propagate fear so we hand over more cash.  Those who disagree get blacklisted and no research money.  We end up with junk science and acceptance of never ending regulation designed to separate us from our money.

This is true.  EPA grants do not fund unbiased research.

For example, If the goal of your research is to prove global warming there is a chance you can get an EPA grant.

OTOH, if the goal of your research is to conduct unbiased research or to disprove global warming the EPA has no use for you.

https://www.epa.gov/research-grants/climate-change-research-grants

22 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Really? Trivial? So committing a felony while carrying a firearm is trivial. That's cool. I use that next time I'm accidentally breaking the law. 

Are you registered with the EPA? I'm assuming your tires are coming from the operation of a business and you charge your customers a disposal fee? 

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I would be required to buy a hazmat permit each year. The level of business I do doesn't justify that expense. However, since no recycling centers offer pickup in my area, I'm forced to drive my tires to Malvern. Carrying ten at a time is wasteful and no longer makes sense for my business. So I just throw them in the first dumpster I see and make it someone else's problem. It's the EPA business model, so I'm sure it highly efficient. 

Yah you're kinda in a corner But why should all the other businesses pay and not you. That's why businesses charge a tire fee. Make your customers take the old ones with them. 

http://www.popsci.com/getting-rid-of-the-environmental-protection-agency?src=SOC&dom=fb#page-2

Sniff tailpipes all you want. We already ruined drinking water, air is next. 

Not that the EPA is perfect, but there have to be rules or every normal greedy business person would pollute. 

Edited by Gump

1 hour ago, Gump said:

http://www.popsci.com/getting-rid-of-the-environmental-protection-agency?src=SOC&dom=fb#page-2

Sniff tailpipes all you want. We already ruined drinking water, air is next. 

Not that the EPA is perfect, but there have to be rules or every normal greedy business person would pollute. 

This is a boilerplate response.  Not a single person here has said to abolish the EPA, but rather the EPA needs a tighter leash.  Too many regulations are political rather than scientific.  It cost us money, either directly or indirectly and does nothing but pad a pocket or support a fringe group of lunatics for political support.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gump said:

We already ruined drinking water, air is next.

So if that's the foregone conclusion what exactly have we been wasting tax dollars on the EPA for since 1970?

Getting back to the orIgin of this post though: Why do less than 10% of Ohio counties still have to deal with e-check and the rest dont? Does polluted summit county air stop at the county line and refrain from encroaching in to Stark County air?

ill hang up and listen...

Edited by Bad324

10 hours ago, Bad324 said:

So if that's the foregone conclusion what exactly have we been wasting tax dollars on the EPA for since 1970?

Getting back to the orIgin of this post though: Why do less than 10% of Ohio counties still have to deal with e-check and the rest dont? Does polluted summit county air stop at the county line and refrain from encroaching in to Stark County air?

ill hang up and listen...

They have too much invested in all the testing facilities and mobile testing vehicles .  Shutting it all down would admit it didn't work to begin with.  I guess the typical political thing to do is keep throwing tax dollars at it under the guise that it helps the environment.

• Upvote 1