Ohio EPA RapidScreen

Wolfman1

8 hours ago, Wolfman1 said:

They have too much invested in all the testing facilities and mobile testing vehicles .  Shutting it all down would admit it didn't work to begin with.  I guess the typical political thing to do is keep throwing tax dollars at it under the guise that it helps the environment.

But why then did they decid to shut it down in the other 20+ counties several years ago?

The government makes zero sense and half this country wants them more involved to "fix" things. The irony is thick with the ones even dumber than I

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:37 AM, Wolfman1 said:

So, I received a letter from E-check stating I passed my test for our Pathfinder.  The funny thing was I didn't take it to get tested.  As I read further I was told my vehicle was scanned on several occasions and the emissions were within tolerable limits.  I have never heard of an E-Check remote scan test, a few weeks later my registration came in the mail and it showed I passed the test.  So, I did some digging and found that Ohio has been doing these tests since 2012.  Apparently they have mobile units that travel all over, park at an entrance ramp on a major highway and scan every vehicle that goes by.  I would really like to see how all that info is calculated as people are driving by at 65 mph.  I don't know if I like this or not.  Any time a government agency is scanning me without my knowledge, I get a little uneasy. 

http://www.ohioecheck.info/rapidscreen

This thread has had me thinking.  So I live in s.w. Ohio.  I'm driving through the area in question during one of their little scan fests.  Do I get a pass/fail/gfy letter?  Is it just those counties up there, or is it state wide?  If it's state wide, what are they doing with all this info?

I remember the EPA testing facilities when they ran down here.  Faulty, improperly maintained/calibrated equipment, poorly trained staff.  I was working in a Pontiac dealer where we had an analyzer to test cars we repaired to pass failed testing.  We actually got training from the test equipment mfr.  We also did a pre-repair test to establish a baseline to judge results we got after repairs and tuning.  I'll guess 30% to 50% of the baseline results we obtained showed passing when the county facility failed it.  There were "discussions".  The county would then retest.  Amazingly the car would pass and no one had touched it.  I think they knew their initial results were off.  I think $$$ influenced results.  Government $$$.

3 hours ago, Bad324 said:

But why then did they decid to shut it down in the other 20+ counties several years ago?

The government makes zero sense and half this country wants them more involved to "fix" things. The irony is thick with the ones even dumber than I

Look at the political affiliation of the counties still operating echeck, it makes the answer to your question easy.  The only county that makes no sense is Medina, which is mostly conservative farm type people.

If echeck would have made a difference than great, money well spent, but every study and report shows that it has made no difference and is why so many counties have already ditched the program.

This is what happens when career politicians make decisions on stuff they couldn't even understand if it was tattooed to the back of their hand.  Our entire; local, state, and federal government is filled with over educated political science or English majors that couldn't check their own oil in a car... it's too complicated for them, yet they make decisions affecting our livelihood.  Scary stuff when you really think about it!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, whaler said:

Look at the political affiliation of the counties still operating echeck, it makes the answer to your question easy.  The only county that makes no sense is Medina, which is mostly conservative farm type people.

If echeck would have made a difference than great, money well spent, but every study and report shows that it has made no difference and is why so many counties have already ditched the program.

This is what happens when career politicians make decisions on stuff they couldn't even understand if it was tattooed to the back of their hand.  Our entire; local, state, and federal government is filled with over educated political science or English majors that couldn't check their own oil in a car... it's too complicated for them, yet they make decisions affecting our livelihood.  Scary stuff when you really think about it!

I was going to make this same statement about the county political affiliation, but rescinded because Medina is a conservative county and that doesn't make sense.:dunno:

Yea, the Democrat tin foil hat theory doesn't hold up if you consider E-Check is a state run thing.  So, to not be labeled a hypocrite Bad needs to blame the R's since they have been running the state for some time now.

38 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I still chuckle at people who make a distinction between the two parties. 

Agreed.  If it was in either of their interest to cooperate to better the lives of the American people, that shit would have happened 100 years ago.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Yea, the Democrat tin foil hat theory doesn't hold up if you consider E-Check is a state run thing.  So, to not be labeled a hypocrite Bad needs to blame the R's since they have been running the state for some time now.

Where did I blame a certain political party?

I blame politics in general and $. Don't give a shit if it's Repukelicans, Dumbocrats, Indepen15's or whatever they self identify with

20 hours ago, whaler said:

Look at the political affiliation of the counties still operating echeck, it makes the answer to your question easy. 

2 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

Where did I blame a certain political party?

My sincerest apologies sir.  As you can see above, Brian should have been the target of my troll.

• Upvote 2

Based on the zero research I am willing to do on this subject...

I would imagine the eCheck program will remain in place as long as there is some threat of Feds withholding highway funds for failure to comply.

Nevermind that cars today run so much cleaner than they did when the program began in the 90's (?).  Any actual benefit from the program would be miniscule.   

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

My sincerest apologies sir.  As you can see above, Brian should have been the target of my troll.

I do agree there are many similarities between the parties, but there are some pretty stark differences.  When it comes to wasting money on endless environmental issues with the only end game being more control or revenue, one party comes to mind.  Otherwise I agree.

Keeping the troll alive...

37 minutes ago, whaler said:

When it comes to wasting money on endless environmental issues with the only end game being more control or revenue, one party comes to mind.  

That's true.  But keep in mind when it comes to wasting money on blowing up Arabs with the only end game being more money for the defense contractors, the other party comes to mind.

2 minutes ago, Tonik said:

That's true.  But keep in mind when it comes to wasting money on blowing up Arabs with the only end game being more money for the defense contractors, the other party comes to mind.

Agreed...  they both have end games and fear tactics.