Tire/Rim Seal

Wandering Soul

Looking for anyone's experience with an older cast mag that does not want to seal to the tire bead.  I can see the pitting and corrosion on the rim where the bead mounts and should seal.  Certain methods are immediately out.  Tire "sealer" that glues the bead to the rim is one; it may be too far gone for that and you ever broke a bead and tried to clean up that resulting mess?  A new rim is another one I'd rather not mess with.

A definite solution is installing a tube inside the tubeless tire.  That's not how the wheel was designed, and I'd like to avoid that.  In the past that solution created an out of balance/vibration problem.

What experience have you had?

sometimes it's just a matter of hitting the tire with enough psi to set the bead, tires are stacked, pressed and banded before shipping and it can deform the carcass. removing the valve from the stem and hitting it with 120 lbs should do the trick. or there's always the old starting fluid and throw matches at it trick, which i've used before with success. if the bead seat is that corroded (on mag, it will be white powdery appearance) then you may want to try and polish the surface up, provided that the pitting isnt too deep. 

as far as a tube goes, if the wheel is balanced after assembly then there wont be any out of balance issues. 

The stuff is miserably expensive but check out Devcon 11770.  It's a white ceramic infused epoxy coating designed to seal metal in high wear environments.  I've used a similar product from them years ago to rebuild bearing surfaces in aluminum and the stuff is amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/Devcon-11770-White-Brushable-Ceramic/dp/B001HWAQW2/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1487608229&sr=1-1&keywords=devcon+11770#feature-bullets-btf

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

The stuff is miserably expensive but check out Devcon 11770.  It's a white ceramic infused epoxy coating designed to seal metal in high wear environments.  I've used a similar product from them years ago to rebuild bearing surfaces in aluminum and the stuff is amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/Devcon-11770-White-Brushable-Ceramic/dp/B001HWAQW2/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1487608229&sr=1-1&keywords=devcon+11770#feature-bullets-btf

Bingo!  And I have access through a former employer to enough to do it...even a former employee who would help (since he works with it on a daily basis) to effect the best repair possible.

Thanks for bringing that up! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Update:  Got wheel off and broke down.  Cleaned with denatured alcohol and 0000 steel wool.  Just the curb side had corrosion.  My buddy from an ex job showed up with the Devcon and I let him apply it.  He skimmed it on, and it sat for about a week.  Remount tire, inflate and leak cured; thank you vf1000ride for bringing that up.

While I had it off I looked at the metal valve stem's rubber seals.  $6.00 at my friendly indy's shop got a new one and all is well.  Lost almost nothing since then, and no bubbling around the rim/tire bead since.  Life is good.

• Upvote 1