Who's been to COTA GP race?

Hoblick

I booked flight and hotel accommodations, but still deciding on what tickets to get. Thinking either a flex pass so we can sit in different grand stand up each day (turn 15 on race day) or just general admission.

and I've been trying to see where to buy paddock passes but can't find them for sale or even a price.

I've been there for the 2013, 2014, and 2015 races. The first year I bought tickets for the turn 1 grand stand. They were pretty good seats but the next year I just did general admission and felt like the turn 1 seats were way over priced. Turn 1 grand stand is awesome for the start of the race and the early stages with a decent view of the start finish and the pits. But as the race goes on there's not a lot of action other than a couple low sides and I ended up watching most of the race on the big screen. The view from the grandstand isn't much better than the lawn in front of it.

2014 we sat near turn 19. It was a great place for practice qualifying and moto 2 but the main race didn't have a lot of action there.  I watched most of the race on the big TV they had set up.

2015 we sat near turn 6 it was a pretty good spot my favorite that I've been at so far for the actual racing. It's a cool spot watching the racers fly through the fast corners. I got a little pissed that year because they set a TV up that blocked the view of the back straight going into turn 12 then they didn't use it to show the racing. They just had a circuit of the Americas logo on the screen. I wouldn't have minded the view being blocked if the screen was showing the rest of the race but we ended up only being able to see what was going on where we were at. I would have moved but by the time racing started and I realized they weren't going to use the screen all the good general admission spots were full. 

Another reason I wasn't a fan of the turn 1 grand stand was except for race day they didn't check tickets up there. They had workers standing there but no one asked to see tickets so every time we went back to our seats we had to ask people to move out of them. Then during qualifying a group of the stereotypical squid douchebags sat in front of us. They were drunk and obnoxious as hell. Every other bike that would come into turn one would scare one of their girlfriends bad enough that she would yell "oh my god" in a panicked voice before blabbering on that she thought they were crashing for sure that time or how she can't believe how far they lean over and still don't crash. If that wasn't annoying enough they were trying to figure out which racer was Josh Hayes. Then on race day some foreigners sat in front of us and to the left (between us and the start finish). The three of them had umbrellas that they felt they had to have open even though it was a perfect day. They'd close them for about 15min when ever someone said something to them but they'd open them again. Then for the main race they decided to pull out a homemade Rossi banner. That didn't go over well with anyone around them. They put it down after several people yelling at them but overall not the environment you want to be in after paying over $350 for two tickets. That year we also fell victim to the meet and greet autograph session with the "stars of motogp". We waited in line for 2 hours then they brought out the bottom 6 riders no factory riders. They came out sat at 6 tables divided into 3 lines and you couldn't see whose line you were in until you were committed to it. Uou were able to get 2 riders autographs, not allowed to stop for a picture then got rushed out. 

Everything is insanely expensive there so be ready for that. Parking is expensive if you pay each day. I suggest getting a pass. Motorcycle parking is the closest to the gate. Everywhere else is a long walk to get in and out. Most of the upgrades are a waste of money. Not sure about the paddock passes but the track walk is definitely a waste. 

In 2015 during practice I was able to go up into the turn 15 grandstand and scout seats out. The seats from the middle to about 3/4 of the way to the left side (left if your sitting in the seat facing the track) and about the middle up and down looked like the best option for viewing. I'll probably get seats there for this year's race. Every year the other grandstands have less people sitting in them and the turn 15 has more people. 

In my opinion the multi seat pass is a waste. The main grandstand has no real view other than start finish and the pits. Turn 1 is decent but other than race day in the past you can get up there and sit without a ticket. Not because it's general admission or the way it is supposed to be. It seems the ushers/security are just hired as basically day labor and aren't really confident or caring enough to check tickets. Turn 15 is a little better secured but if you watch before walking up you can see which ones are not checking tickets. Then just walk up like you own the place and walk by.

General admission is the best value but you will miss out on the best view in turn 15 on race day. If you do general admission I suggest bringing a chair or blanket/ tarp mainly to mark your "territory". You can find a great spot but once qualifying and racing starts if you walk away someone will fill it in. But if you have the money for it the piece of mind of having a reserved seat is worth it. Problem is the experience is effected by those who buy seats around you and your view. You don't know if it's going to be good or not until your there. 

SUMMARY: Turn 15 is in my opinion the best option. Gen admission is the 2nd best option. Be prepared for long lines for food, drinks,  bathroom and the side entertainment. Everything is expensive. Overall its a fun time.

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, Hoblick said:

General admission for all 3 days

flight leaves tomorrow at 5am

If you're flying out of Columbus, get there earlier than you think you need to be. The super early flights are always the most crowded for whatever reason... barely made it onto my 6am Delta flight last week to L.A. and I was there 1.5 hours early. Like, they were closing the doors to the plane as I stepped on board barely.  

The TSA line was the one that took so long. Over an hour. 

Edited by what

10 minutes ago, what said:

If you're flying out of Columbus, get there earlier than you think you need to be. The super early flights are always the most crowded for whatever reason... barely made it onto my 6am Delta flight last week to L.A. and I was there 1.5 hours early. Like, they were closing the doors to the plane as I stepped on board barely.  

The TSA line was the one that took so long. Over an hour. 

As much as it seems you travel you should get pre check.

7 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Half the time the pre-check line is longer than the normal line ;p

Also, don't want to give the stinkin govt any info they don't need. Now where'd I put my tinfoil hat?

29 minutes ago, Tonik said:

No question on the TSA Pre, like the old days, no shoes off, no laptop out, and an old style metal detector turned up high so you can get through with a WWF belt buckle, change.... anything but an M16 will get through the metal detector. Takes a few minutes for the whole process. 

A friend of mine bought an R1M back in December or January. He ended up getting some VIP thank you package from Yamaha. At the end of the day yesterday they got a tour of the paddock and got to meet Josh Hayes. He got pictures of Colin Edwards, Valentino Rossi and Wayne Rainey. They are doing things all weekend. 

Edited by cOoTeR