3000 miles with my Harley riding uncle

jacobhawkins

6 minutes ago, Qman said:

But....this poor fella has to follow a Harley the whole way!   Not enuf wind to lift some weight off his hands/arms!  Good thing he's a youngster (isn't he?) 

Yea, not riding at the Pace would suck balls.

Jacob, if you get some extra time, check out Smugglers Notch access road in VT. 

Linked video provides approximate pace following a Harley:

Also, if you make it to Burlington, Hotel Vermont has Heady Topper (https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27039/16814/), which you can't really find anywhere else... if you or your uncle are a IPA fans.

Killington would be a cool stop too. You can ride the gondola to the top of the mountain for a pretty spectacular view. It's a bit south of your current route. Burlington and Smugglers Notch are north of your current route. 

Edited by what

30 minutes ago, Qman said:

But....this poor fella has to follow a Harley the whole way!   Not enuf wind to lift some weight off his hands/arms!  Good thing he's a youngster (isn't he?) 

I rode to Deals Gap on my 600rr with a Harley last year. We just had an understanding that at times I was going to blast on ahead and I'd stop and wait up at turn off points. I had a blast and my buddy said he'd love to ride with me again. I'd guess Jacob has the same understanding with his uncle. He does have more youth on his side than I do as well.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

I rode down to and around the GAP last year on mine? I was ok. With the right gear and not taking slab, its more than doable.

Edit: I packed my big balls in my tank bag so I could take em out and give em a scratch while riding.

U were riding with sporty guys, at least it's fun get to move around seat way less slab, still need balls not as big as these :) 

56 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Yeah and now @TimTheAzn has twice the amount of bikes and half the miles. 

I need to get that chain swapped on the sv, so I havent ridden it too much (it pains me to do so). I'll hit ya up after your gap trip next week.

As you head north along the coast in New Hampshire, Rt 1A from Hampton Baech up to Rye Harbor is very scenic.   In Rye Harbor there are some lobster shacks near the fishing boat harbor.   Rye Harbor Lobster Pound is very good.  

Rt 1 up along the Maine coast north of Rockland is a nice ride also.   When you are at Acadia National Park, make sure you go over to the other side (north) of the bay and go to Schoodic Point.  If the tide is in and the waves are rolling, there are rocks which act like giant blow holes.  At Acadia, take the loop road to the south side of Bass Island.  (Thunder Hole)

Looks like you'll be near Mt Washington near Gorham NH.  Check the website for the mountain before going up the auto road to see what the conditions are like at the summit.  75 and sunny at the bottom might be 37 and high winds at the top.. On a clear day you can see 100 miles.

ALso looks like you're going west over the Kanc from Conway.  Nice ride.  Watch out for cars in blind corners turning into parking lots along the river.

Ben & Jerrys is a good stop too.

We've done many of the areas on your route three or four times.   Hope to get back up there again soon.  

Enjoy the ride !

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great trip overall!  Issues first:  I made the mistake of thinking my stock Pirelli Diablo would last.  It shit out at 4300 on a Saturday at 2:30 so I had to wait until Monday morning to get a tire put in on Watertown, New York.  That was my screw up, never had a "sport tire" before but my PR4s got 12k+ on the FJR so I figured at least half on the Pirelli???  That kinda screwed up our timing around the Lake Placid area so we just rode on through after a short stop there.

Route 6 across Pennsylvania was great.  The area around Watkins Glen and the Finger Lakes was beautiful, I'd definitely stop there again.  It rained like hell at the end of the day in New Hampshire when we were coming down the White Mountain National Forest.  That was the skechiest riding I'd ever done.  Beat up road, terribile visibility, hands were cold.  Ugg, not fun.  Up until the rain, it was a great forest to ride though, I'd take 112, Kancamagus Highway, again.  Maine was fun, it was nice to stay in the same camp for a couple nights.  Took about every road three times on the Mount Desert Island.  Ate lobster.  It was so nice to just get away from everything at home for a bit.  

How'd traveling on a Daytona go?  It went great!  I had all my shit in the Kreiga US-40 setup and a tank bag.  The only thing I borrowed from my uncle was the heater for boiling water for our meals.  I had my bivy sack, sleeping pad, extra shoes and clothes for a week long trip.  Snacks, tools, maps, etc.  No issues there.  Because of the 160 or so mile range on the highway, we had to stop every 3 hours or so for me to get gas.  Hopping off and moving around helped a lot.  I did a lot better than he did on his Road King, but he's also 61.  Not wearing a full face helmet with earplugs in really screwed him up I'd guess.

Wednesday night I got the idea to try an Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 on the way home.  Following a Harley was getting to me.  I planned a route down 1 for a bit then anticipated taking highways across Pennsylvania until I hit my 1000.  I didn't have GPS worth a shit in the camp so I assumed I'd stop for the night somewhere in Penn.  Didn't stop until I got home Thursday.  1029 miles, started at 5:30, got home about 10:30.  Surprisingly, 84 and 80 across Penn didn't suck.  As far as slabs go, they had decent scenery.

G0010279.JPG

GOPR0268.JPG

GOPR0311.JPG

GOPR0315.JPG

GOPR0324.JPG

GOPR0328.JPG

GOPR0335.JPG

• Upvote 3

Sounds like a great trip Jacob. Glad you made it home safe.  A 1000 miles in 1 day on a Daytona is impressive. You should get a medal for that iron butt.