3000 miles with my Harley riding uncle

jacobhawkins

First week of June I'm taking off with my uncle for a ~3000 ride up through Lake Placid to Acadia, down the East Coast and back up through Carolina and Tennessee.  Should be a week or 10 days.  I've done some longish day rides on the FJR but never done the camping thing on a bike, much less on something like the Daytona.  @Danimal sure has used his SV for some epic touring so I'll be looking through his threads for tips.  I think I'll use my uncle's massive storage capacity to share a tent, but I'll need to carry my other supplies.  Planning on doing some hiking when we can.  I haven't started looking for saddlebags yet, I'm sure there's a plethora of options.  :dunno: My tank bag will solely be used for the Aleve and ibuprofen to keep my back and neck from seizing up on me.  haha  

My uncle is a fairly recent addition to the family, he married my aunt about 10 years ago and we are about exactly opposite politically.  We just don't talk about that stuff and get along great when it comes to motorcycles, beer, cards, music.  My dad and his sisters are going on a trip to New Mexico so my uncle has some "free" time and invited me to join him on his ride.  I can't wait.

Don't know why I posted this...  Just getting excited thinking about the trip, suppose I'll use this as a catchall for planning progress and some pics when it's over.

Jacob I never did the camping thing with my 600rr but I did ride 2000 miles in 4 days last year with a buddy and his Harley tourer. I just explained to him there would be times when I was going to be out of sight for him but I'd wait up at the next route change. He understood and I believe he had just as much fun as I did. I had a blast and l'm sure you will as well.  We'll have to get together prior to your trip and put in at least 1 long day in SEO to help make sure your in shape and don't need that whole bottle of aleve. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, durk said:

Jacob I never did the camping thing with my 600rr but I did ride 2000 miles in 4 days last year with a buddy and his Harley tourer. I just explained to him there would be times when I was going to be out of sight for him but I'd wait up at the next route change. He understood and I believe he had just as much fun as I did. I had a blast and l'm sure you will as well.  We'll have to get together prior to your trip and put in at least 1 long day in SEO to help make sure your in shape and don't need that whole bottle of aleve. 

Of course, I plan on being on the bike 10,000+ miles this year.  We'll get together for sure.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, what said:

Helibars an option before the trip? and adjustable rearsets.... lol

Don't know man, I'd like to keep it the way it is, maybe get a different rear wheel/tire for a little better touring setup.  My Woodcraft rearsets aren't too adjustable, but I can shift them a little...

1 hour ago, jacobhawkins said:

Cool, I'll check those out.

I e been very happy with the Kreiga stuff. It's all modular, so you can mix and match. They strap together securely. You should be able to attach a tent quite easily to the top. 

• 3 months later...
46 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

Welp, the day has come.  I'm headed out this morning, headed to Maine eventually.  Kreiga bags are packed, thanks @Casper and @RidersDiscount.  New oil, thanks to Mike again for that, and new brake fluid.  Bike is ready to roll.  Here's the proposed route.  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19532685  That gets us to the camp sites, assuming we'll a little tooling around when we figure out where we'll be for the night.  My bivy sack and sleeping pad are in the tail bags.  I hate riding long distance with a backpack so everything I'm taking had to fit in the tail bags and tank bag.  Sure I'll forget a few things, but whatever, it's a motorcycle adventure.

Edit: "Us" as in your uncle and you, I thought you were taking the wife on the back that entire way.

Edited by TimTheAzn

Looks like you'll be going really close to the Ben&Jerry's factory..worth a stop for a free sample and tour!

Watch out for MOOSE! (dont ride after (or near) dark!)

1 hour ago, jacobhawkins said:

Welp, the day has come.  I'm headed out this morning, headed to Maine eventually.  Kreiga bags are packed, thanks @Casper and @RidersDiscount.  New oil, thanks to Mike again for that, and new brake fluid.  Bike is ready to roll.  Here's the proposed route.  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19532685  That gets us to the camp sites, assuming we'll a little tooling around when we figure out where we'll be for the night.  My bivy sack and sleeping pad are in the tail bags.  I hate riding long distance with a backpack so everything I'm taking had to fit in the tail bags and tank bag.  Sure I'll forget a few things, but whatever, it's a motorcycle adventure.

Where did you pack them big balls? Touring on the most aggressive posture bike with the least "motorcycling" motorcycle. :D you sir are really brave and/or high hehe j/k have a fun time Jacob, as always lots of pics and share. 

Is June like a "ride out of Ohio" month, everyone's gone :( 

1 hour ago, Qman said:

Looks like you'll be going really close to the Ben&Jerry's factory..worth a stop for a free sample and tour!

Watch out for MOOSE! (dont ride after (or near) dark!)

Deer are a bigger threat, really. We murdered 1 every year or two with our cars in the 23 years I lived in VT growing up

Edited by what

26 minutes ago, what said:

Deer are a bigger threat, really. We murdered 1 every year or two with our cars in the 23 years I lived in VT growing up

probably true...but the bad thing with Moose is (besides their immense size) their eyes do not reflect your headlight at night, so there is even less warning!  The locals say: "if you see a moose, duck"...meaning you might be able to ride completely under one without touching it!!!

Just now, Qman said:

probably true...but the bad thing with Moose is (besides their immense size) their eyes do not reflect your headlight at night, so there is even less warning!  The locals say: "if you see a moose, duck"...meaning you might be able to ride completely under one without touching it!!!

They will also kill your ass dead if they don't like you, collision or not. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

Where did you pack them big balls? Touring on the most aggressive posture bike with the least "motorcycling" motorcycle. :D you sir are really brave and/or high

I rode down to and around the GAP last year on mine? I was ok. With the right gear and not taking slab, its more than doable.

Edit: I packed my big balls in my tank bag so I could take em out and give em a scratch while riding.

Edited by TimTheAzn

24 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I rode down to and around the GAP last year on mine? I was ok. With the right gear and not taking slab, its more than doable.

Edit: I packed my big balls in my tank bag so I could take em out and give em a scratch while riding.

But....this poor fella has to follow a Harley the whole way!   Not enuf wind to lift some weight off his hands/arms!  Good thing he's a youngster (isn't he?)