My new to me ride

theroamr

37 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Congrats man. I have seen them in action. A very capable bike.

Paging @ScubaCinci to help you pick out farkles.

Where to start? Really, there's not much it NEEDS depending on what type of riding it will see. Luggage is usually a priority, I think the OEM boxes are nice and any distance riding will likely necessitate a better seat.

The pre-2014 models have some things that were improved upon in the gen 2. The one that comes to mind is the clutch basket (replace with the gen 2 version) and the gen 1 really benefits from an ECU flash to improve the fueling and get rid of the gear limiters.

If planning on going off-road (as in more than the occasional dirt roads and gravel roads) then a better skid plate and some crash bars are good investments.

Keep an eye on the spokes as some have found them to come loose and make a mess of things. I zip tied mine at the the junction of each set of spokes so if one comes loose, it won't sling around and cause a lot of damage.

The SuperTenere forum is an excellent resource.

Unfortunately for me, I got my bike in the dead of a harsh winter so I had a few months to buy farkles and I went a little hog wild. Before it even had 50 miles on it, it was flush with mods. Recently I flashed the ECU (not as much of a benefit as on the gen 1), replaced the headlights with LEDs and had new tires put on. She's all ready for spring. I have my eye on an FJ-09 as a stable mate.

Edited by ScubaCinci
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

Where to start? Really, there's not much it NEEDS depending on what type of riding it will see. Luggage is usually a priority, I think the OEM boxes are nice and any distance riding will likely necessitate a better seat.

The pre-2014 models have some things that were improved upon in the gen 2. The one that comes to mind is the clutch basket (replace with the gen 2 version) and the gen 1 really benefits from an ECU flash to improve the fueling and get rid of the gear limiters.

If planning on going off-road (as in more than the occasional dirt roads and gravel roads) then a better skid plate and some crash bars are good investments.

Keep an eye on the spokes as some have found them to come loose and make a mess of things. I zip tied mine at the the junction of each set of spokes so if one comes loose, it won't sling around and cause a lot of damage.

The SuperTenere forum is an excellent resource.

Unfortunately for me, I got my bike in the dead of a harsh winter so I had a few months to buy farkles and I went a little hog wild. Before it even had 50 miles on it, it was flush with mods. Recently I flashed the ECU (not as much of a benefit as on the gen 1), replaced the headlights with LEDs and had new tires put on. She's all ready for spring. I have my eye on an FJ-09 as a stable mate.

Give him a pic of the spokes. It sounds really ghetto but I remember that conversation and you don't even see it.

Yeah, you don't even notice them unless you look pretty close. The few people that have noticed asked about them and when I explained they thought it was a great idea (wasn't my idea originally).

i used red because i have red accents but a white or beige would probably be even less visible  

IMG_7396.JPG

IMG_7397.JPG

Edited by ScubaCinci
  • Upvote 1

Okay. So zip tie spokes for sure. Yamaha OEM top case is okay? I've read there not so good. Tabs can break. If you think there good maybe I will get it. It's cheaper than givi trekker that I was considering. So a ECU reflash. Any recommendations of how or where to get it done? Skid plate that doesn't interfere with lean angle performance is on the list as well. Thanks guys. 

37 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Holy Jesus! My OCD-meter is pinging. I have a tool that will cut those ties completely flush. I will mail it to you if you promise to fix that and post a pic. OMG!! I can't even... 

Haha...I'm kinda anal about stuff but these not being flush cuts don't bother me. I'll probably replace them at some point as UV tends to make them brittle.

33 minutes ago, theroamr said:

Okay. So zip tie spokes for sure. Yamaha OEM top case is okay? I've read there not so good. Tabs can break. If you think there good maybe I will get it. It's cheaper than givi trekker that I was considering. So a ECU reflash. Any recommendations of how or where to get it done? Skid plate that doesn't interfere with lean angle performance is on the list as well. Thanks guys. 

I actually have a Givi monokey top box but OEM sides. The best thing about the OEM top box is that you can open the OEM side cases without the top box being in the way. I have to remove the top box to open the side cases. Those that do serious off-road opt for sturdier side cases but I like the OEM's because the mounts are minimal so when you aren't using the side cases, there's not a big erector set cage on there.

For the ECU, there are a number of options. You can buy the unit to flash it yourself anytime you want (more expensive but you can customize your maps to your liking) or you can send it in and have it flashed. Check out this section of the Tenere forum for lots of info - http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?board=62.0 Since mine is a gen 2, the options are a little different...I had a guy on the forum do mine. Flashtune,com is probably the most affordable but ecunleashed is another option. It's a bit of a bitch to remove the ECU because it's behind a lot of wires and there's are bolt around the back side that's a challenge to remove (IIRC it's a 5mm allen head) but there are some good tips in those links. This is one reason why I waited to have mine done, added to the fact that the gen 2 doesn't get near the benefit that the gen 1 does. If you are planning on getting (or if it already has an aftermarket slip-on, do that first so when you flash the ECU you can opt for the map tuned for the exhaust.

Altrider is the skid plate I have and it's very stout...no issues with clearance (if I didn't scrape it on the Cherohala with Tim and Justin, it's never going to scrape). There's been issues with the ACD skid plate on fitment and clearance. There are several options...some have more coverage than others and are stronger but it all depends on how hardcore off-road you'll go. Bear in mind that the skid plate generally adds extra time to oil changes unless you are really good or don't care about making a mess. I remove mine every oil change.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Holy Jesus! My OCD-meter is pinging. I have a tool that will cut those ties completely flush. I will mail it to you if you promise to fix that and post a pic. OMG!! I can't even... 

You need to come down and look at the panel wiring inside the brewing controller I built. You'll end up in the after school special rape shower position. 

3 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

I've added like 5 things since this photo was taken. You're welcome to come redo it. 

IMG_20161025_200341860.jpg

Obviously you know your electronics.  Placing wires side-by-side increases the possibility of unwanted signal induction and noise into adjacent conductors.  Good Job!

3 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Yeah...when you use speaker wire. Lol

I mean if you were to put the wires in neat looms and all zip-tied up (with perfectly flush-cut ends of course), you could experience crosstalk and inductive distortions!

1 hour ago, Qman said:

I mean if you were to put the wires in neat looms and all zip-tied up (with perfectly flush-cut ends of course), you could experience crosstalk and inductive distortions!

Not much signal going on inside this panel, mostly on/off switches for different pumps and exhaust fans. There is a PID controller that fires an electric heating element through an SSR, but the signal is just 12vdc pwm, not much to interfere with.

Also, thread jack complete.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Not much signal going on inside this panel, mostly on/off switches for different pumps and exhaust fans. There is a PID controller that fires an electric heating element through an SSR, but the signal is just 12vdc pwm, not much to interfere with.

Also, thread jack complete.

You're taking me way too seriously dude!

I'm really thinking a lot, probably to much regarding what top case to get. The oem Yamaha top box is the least expensive but has some complaints regarding the keys and the mounts not being very strong. Tabs have been known to break. Since the top box would also have a backrest added for my wife I want it to be secure enough for her to lean back safely. So I looked at the touratech zega pro top case system. It seems rugged enough but starts at 679.00 for box and mounting kit. Then theres the givi line which has the trekker line which doest seem half bad. Anybody have any input with any of these cases?

I went with the Givi and added the backrest as well so you know my preference. I wanted more volume available in a top case so I could use it without the panniers and still carry enough.

Most of the people complaining about the fragile nature of the OEM box were off-roading so take that into consideration and I've read where even the altrider plate has broken. There are a lot of complaints about the OEM panniers too in regard to the locks but most of the time it's user error. They can be a little stiff but they work fine if you push down on the lid like you're supposed to.