Katana Hate?

hiro

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

I know when I had a flat, hundreds of miles from home, I was glad my bike had a common 180/55/17 cause I knew any dealership would have it.

Any dealer should have a 160 that will fit fine. And considering a SV650 rides on the same rims.... 

17 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Steel frame. Air/oil cooled. Heavy for the minimal power they make. Ugly as sin. 

Depending on the dollars, you could get into the SV650 and have a far superior motorcycle. 

Ugly as sin...or is that TIN?   As in Can-of-Tuna!!!??

My 300 has ABS. The downside is, the front brake feels spongy. The ABS pump is located just under the tank and the lines go up before going down. It's suspected to be difficult to bleed because of that. One guy showed how he raised the caliper to get it above the ABS pump for bleeding. Considering that kind of complication, I thought of not getting ABS next time. Although, it might have helped me couple times. 

8 minutes ago, hiro said:

My 300 has ABS. The downside is, the front brake feels spongy. The ABS pump is located just under the tank and the lines go up before going down. It's suspected to be difficult to bleed because of that. One guy showed how he raised the caliper to get it above the ABS pump for bleeding. Considering that kind of complication, I thought of not getting ABS next time. Although, it might have helped me couple times. 

I really doubt that is the issue.  Brake lines go up and down and all over the place on mine, and the ABS system is way above the calipers.  I recall your trials with your brakes in previous threads.  Sometimes companies just make shitty systems.  I think that is the case here.

I don't remember, did you use a power bleeder on it? Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Vacuum-Brake-Automotive-Canning/dp/B00KBA27KA

21 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I don't ride fast enough to need ABS. 

18 minutes ago, blue03636 said:

Apparently I don't either, never had a wheel lockup that wasn't on purpose.

Me neither, but now I can stop on a dime.

It makes you stop faster, far faster. No, neither of you is as good as the computer at pushing the brakes right up to edge between max braking and lock. I have no doubt you are extremely good at walking that line. Maybe the two best in the whole world at it. But you still suck compared to the computer. 

Do we know anyone that needed to stop quicker? Like say on the BRP?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I'm not as fast as you. You need ABS. 

I KNEW you were gonna bring that up. Lol

I didn't need to stop faster. I needed to not be an idiot. 

I liked this because you were tied with Jim for rep this week.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Me neither, but now I can stop on a dime.

It makes you stop faster, far faster. No, neither of you is as good as the computer at pushing the brakes right up to edge between max braking and lock. I have no doubt you are extremely good at walking that line. Maybe the two best in the whole world at it. But you still suck compared to the computer. 

Do we know anyone that needed to stop quicker? Like say on the BRP?

Some bikes (like mine) also use the ABS system to briefly pulse the rear brake as you pull in the front.  This helps stabilize the chassis for better braking control.  Of course pure race pro's don't necessarily like this, but it's a big benefit for street applications for your average rider.   

14 minutes ago, Qman said:

Some bikes (like mine) also use the ABS system to briefly pulse the rear brake as you pull in the front.  This helps stabilize the chassis for better braking control.  Of course pure race pro's don't necessarily like this, but it's a big benefit for street applications for your average rider.   

My bike dose not have linked brakes the front and rear ABS work totally independent and I like it that way.

8 hours ago, Tonik said:

I really doubt that is the issue.  Brake lines go up and down and all over the place on mine, and the ABS system is way above the calipers.  I recall your trials with your brakes in previous threads.  Sometimes companies just make shitty systems.  I think that is the case here.

I don't remember, did you use a power bleeder on it? Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Vacuum-Brake-Automotive-Canning/dp/B00KBA27KA

Maybe I shouldn't say spongy. The front requires a good squeeze to stop quicker. It reduces my confidence a little. The bike stops a lot faster adding a little rear brake. I did engage the front ABS at least once during a semi-emergency stop. It is nice to have. As far as a fluid pump goes, I've read about people still having trouble. Someone said it might have something to do with how the ABS unit operates. It seems to be a common complaint. The good news is, I won't be flipping over the bars by mistake!

10 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

I would pick a Ninja 300 over a Katana any day...just sayin.

Totally agree the 300 is a better bike, but they are different enough that owning both would be kind of fun. 

IF I ever considered such a pairing, the 300 would be set up for aggressive riding/racing, and something like a bandit 1250 would be a better pairing. 

Light and nimble, paired with heavier and more powerful. Variety can be fun when each bike fulfills a desire the other can't. 

12 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I'd swap out the pads for something more bitey and clean the rotors with some scotch brite and brake cleaner. See if that fixed it. 

IP has it....I replaced my Ninja 300(non-abs) stock front pad with an EBC HH pad.  With the stock rubber brake line I could do a stoppie if I wanted(250lbs geared up).  Steel braided line may change the feel,  if you cared enough.

• Upvote 1

If you were really into trouble shooting (and old heavy fat ABSless bikes) There's only one caliper you could get a std spare line and run it lever to caliper with the abs line blocked off to see how it should feel . You could, but I don't recommend it.

Did you bleed yourself?  I had issues with a bike and read a tip to wrap teflon tape around the bleeder valve threads before you crack it to help keep air from going in through the threads. it helped on that one.

It does have EBC HH pads. Just read about activating the ABS system for a more complete bleed. Bleed, ride and activate ABS system, then bleed again. (If wonder if the system could be fooled into activating, or if a home-made diag tool could do it.) A vacuum bleeder sounds good, too. 

Thining again... Some people swap the Ninja's front caliper with a Gixxer caliper. Then I hear SV people swap the entire front end. Question: Why not just get an entire Gixxer?! heh