unOFFICIAL OR Spring Epic Ride 2017 - May 20, 2017

DerekClouser

26 minutes ago, Blitz said:

Yes. The critiques in class were brutal....intentionally. And I learned some valuable lessons from those critiques.

But for whatever reason, it's easier to take criticism from a professor or fellow classmate that can back up an opinion with a sound, 'design theory' based argument. It's the criticism without sound reason that makes you crazy. It took me a couple years to figure out how to handle it. And it's still not always easy, especially when I know my design is good.

But, that being said, there's always a nugget of truth in every critique, no matter how unreasoned. That where I try to find peace with a critique. Use it to make the work better.

Like Paulie said, art is subjective which makes it approachable and open for discussion. But the field is unique in that professionals have their work readily critiqued by any layperson. Imagine people walking past a Doctor and saying "Uh sir, I think you should take another look at those X-rays. Maybe it's the lighting, but I think you may have missed something." Or walking past a civil engineer and saying "Ummmm, Mr. engineer...I know you're pretty far along on this project, and I'm ok with how the bridge looks in a general sense. But don't you think it would look better if you put it over there? And used a light blue paint for the abutment? I'm in a blue mood today."

It is what it is. That the tough part about the job. But, I wouldn't trade being a designer for anything. No matter how hard my wife pushes me to get a Master's.

Unless you want to teach, a master's is a waste of $$ in our field :p

With clients that give a negative critique and have no reasoning to back it up, I'll try to explain the 'why' to them before just saying fuck it and doing whatever they want. It's not worth fighting them over things if they have their mind made up. All I want in the end is their money so I can go to the track or some twisty roads. 

1 minute ago, TimTheAzn said:

I think what everyone is saying is that I should have designed the tshirt because it wouldve been fucking fabulous.

Capture.JPG

Sir, do you have a portfolio and resume available? We are always looking for talented designers. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, what said:

Sir, do you have a portfolio and resume available? We are always looking for talented designers. 

IF ONLY I had a portfolio of my MS paint work, it would deserve it's own thread :lol:

Just now, Casper said:

I'd actually wear this shirt. 

You know after you said that, if it was like just that on a grey shirt and I centered the text, I'd wear it too :lol:. Just because it would make me laugh.

Just now, TimTheAzn said:

You know after you said that, if it was like just that on a grey shirt and I centered the text, I'd wear it too :lol:. Just because it would make me laugh.

I'm thinking we may have a Gap Trip t-shirt this year if you can make it a vector image for printing. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Blitz said:

As a graphic designer by trade, I can tell you that it doesn't matter whether you are designing a t-shirt for a softball team, a print ad for NASA, or a motion graphic for a multi-million dollar company....you will ALWAYS receive criticism, and rarely is it constructive. I've had to get very good at shrugging it off. It's one of the hardest parts of my job.

Design is subjective. Everyone has an opinion. Sometimes an emotional opinion, and sometimes someone will say "I don't know why I don't like it. Maybe cause that thing reminds me of a (insert nonsense here). Usually the only criticism I take seriously comes from other designers, because I know they understand the theory of design, and why some things work and some things don't.

So, all of that being said.....don't take the criticism so hard. You were going to receive it NO MATTER WHAT you produced. That's just how it works.

A guy came to Earth and was perfect, they tortured him and crucified him on a cross..... You know someone's going to criticize everything, right? The complaint line is the beginning of the volunteer line. 

Thanks for designing the t-shirt, they look great! :banana: 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, ricer1 said:

A guy came to Earth and was perfect, they tortured him and crucified him on a cross..... You know someone's going to criticize everything, right? The complaint line is the beginning of the volunteer line. 

Thanks for designing the t-shirt, they look great! :banana: 

Agreed. Love my shirt!

4 hours ago, 600ZZ4eb said:

Pretty sure I'm in for this.  I haven't read the whole thread but should be in the med-fast group

Nooooo after all these years you show up and I can't make it. Why is this happening :( 

On 1/30/2017 at 5:31 PM, snot said:

Our group starts east of Dayton...so yes a few hundred miles and 2 wrong turns.

I need to get back into riding...We need to get together sometime. I wish it could be this, but I promised Hudson I would take her to Pole Day at Indy. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, granda080 said:

I need to get back into riding...We need to get together sometime. I wish it could be this, but I promised Hudson I would take her to Pole Day at Indy. 

I'm going to plan a NKY route ride sometime in the next couple months, I'll let you know once it's posted up

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Casper said:

So what happens if both dates get rained out? Asking for a friend. 

The wife and I likely cant make the rain date, so if it gets moved to Sunday ya'll be fending for yourselves.  If it gets rescheduled all together, we may be back in :dunno: