Ozark-apalooza (long way round to the gap) 6/2-6/7

2talltim

4 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

How many monies will this trip cost per person, approximately? 

I think for the total 9 nights of lodging (5 nights across Ozark trip, 4 nights in Fontana) is $350, splitting rooms and cabins.

• 3 weeks later...

Well fellas not looking like this trip is going to be a go for me now with my recent injury. Even if I'm able to get on the bike in a month I doubt ill be able to log the kind of miles we have planned.  So if I can't go you all are still welcome to go along with out me.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

Meet up in one month.  I am still planning to go.  Is everyone but Tim still planning to go? 

Since I was splitting rooms with Tim, I am not gonna go either. I'm going to save my vacation days for another fall trip. I'll just ride straight to Fontana.

I'm still 50\50 I'm not out yet. I have a Dr. appointment on the 18th and that will be the day I decide. My back feeling better although yesterday I made a trip to Lancaster with the old man in his truck and was pretty sore by bed time. As long as the Doc say I cant hurt it anymore and the pain is at a moderate level I'll still go. So stand by if your wanting to know about me.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

I'm still in as planned up to and including Russelville. Then some Texas BBQ and maybe Gumbo on the Gulf. Eventually making it to my daughter's place in Georgia. No definitive plans. I'm on vacation till July 7. Then retired. My wife may have a few houses for me to check out by then. It's good to hear that you're doing ok Tim. Bummer you can't make this Phil. For anyone on the fence about this.  Hundred bucks will get you 3 nights. After that your on your own. Deal for you and it'll save me a few bucks. 

• 3 weeks later...

Going to the Doc tomorrow folks. Im optimistic I'll get a caution light to go. Don't think the doc will says yes but don't think ill be shut down either. Ive been feeling really good lasy week or so and have a new brace now that is less confining. Sorry to keep you all on pins and needles about this but I didnt have any real news yet. This time tomorrow I should know. Sounds like most of ya'll were still going anyway. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Going to the Doc tomorrow folks. Im optimistic I'll get a caution light to go. Don't think the doc will says yes but don't think ill be shut down either. Ive been feeling really good lasy week or so and have a new brace now that is less confining. Sorry to keep you all on pins and needles about this but I didnt have any real news yet. This time tomorrow I should know. Sounds like most of ya'll were still going anyway. 

A perfectly normal healthy back is at risk of having a sprain and slip and stuff when shoving around 700lb monster let alone days of riding on top of one. Ozark and the deals gap will be there in 2018 and most if not all of the guys will be willing to do it again. SIT THIS ONE OUT BIG GUY. Why take chances. 

• Upvote 4

Well only the xrays will tell. If the Doc say no way I'll listen. Personally I fell riding my bike is more comfortable than riding in a car, only time the size of my bike is a strain is when I try to make it do things most people would never do on a lighter bike. For the most part I'm just sitting on it letting it do the work and know ill have to turn it down a lot of notches. Like I said we'll see what the ol neurosurgeon says tomorrow after looking at the new x rays.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Well only the xrays will tell. If the Doc say no way I'll listen. Personally I fell riding my bike is more comfortable than riding in a car, only time the size of my bike is a strain is when I try to make it do things most people would never do on a lighter bike. For the most part I'm just sitting on it letting it do the work and know ill have to turn it down a lot of notches. Like I said we'll see what the ol neurosurgeon says tomorrow after looking at the new x rays.

Not worth it man.

I seriously doubt the doc will understand the demands that distance riding puts on your body.  I had a similar conversation with my Dr. 2 seasons ago when dealing with a nerve issue in my neck. 

What would you do if halfway through the ride you hit a bad bump or something else that irritates it?  It could be very uncomfortable limping it home.

Heal time for the injury I have if nothing else has happened since my last xrays is 6 to 8 weeks then start physical therapy to get movement and muscles built back up for a other 6 weeks. This trip will be into that 6th week of healing. This is why I feel its doable and I'm optimistic. I honestly think the Doc will say I'm ahead of that curve on how I've felt the last couple weeks. I know doctors hear this all the time from people but really am a fast healer. When I chopped my finger a couple years ago and broke my wrist 3 years ago. Both those things healed in 60 to 70 percent of the average heal time. Hell I went on my first 2500 mile bike trip with Dan four weeks after I broke my left wrist. 

Stitting at the hospital now, had to get here early to get the xrays, other appointment is at 1:30. The wife is with me so I can't lie and say the Doc said it would be okay, she won't let me...lol

• Upvote 1