'14 Daytona overheating

jacobhawkins

Yes, I'm a dumbass and I hate myself.

I put on a PCV, Ignition module, full exhaust, block off plates, filter. Bike start and runs fine initially, but quickly overheats, in 5 minutes of riding around the block it needs to be shut off in today's 60 degree weather. I don't notice any exhaust leaks, engine response seems good.

After I installed the parts a few weeks ago I rode in 10 degree weather for 30 miles or so, didn't see an issue. On the way back home, another 30 miles and it overheated. Check engine light came on and I stopped until it was cooled down a bit and rode the rest of the way home. 

Loaded the full Hindle exhaust tune on it from Dynojet hoping to solve the issue (I did not load a tune on it initially because I'm planning to get it up to J.D. for a proper tune) and it idles fine in the garage for a while (check engine light went away after idling for a bit) but as soon as I take it out it's overheating again. The fan kicks in at 220 degrees, so I guess that's working and I topped off the coolant after it boiled over while in the garage. 

Up until I started screwing with a perfectly good bike, everything was fine.  Yes, I'm a dumbass and I hate myself.

At this point, I'm going to take it back apart and reconfirm my wiring. Any suggestions or places to start my focus? Uggg... another 60 degree day tomorrow too.

Did you burp the bajeezus out of the coolant system? On the street triple you have to lean the bike way the hell over and moosh the tubes with your hands on both sides... not sure if the Daytona is the same or similar. I know the coolant reservoir is in a different place on the Daytona at least. 

• Upvote 1

You didn't mess with the radiator or cooling system at all while doing any of this did you? They can be a pain to get all the air out, but if it was untouched I doubt that was your "initial" problem. Although it overheated and overflowed, so now you do. 

I'm guessing it has more to do with your tune. If it's running lean it'll run hot. These bikes have a tendency to do that, I know cause I'm dealing with it myself. I'm planning to get my bike to J.D. as well and then next step is adding a 2nd radiator. My engine has a bit more work done on it than an exhaust though, I don't think you should need it for a stock engine with exhaust. Just go get that sucker tuned. 

7 minutes ago, TRMN8TR said:

You didn't mess with the radiator or cooling system at all while doing any of this did you? They can be a pain to get all the air out, but if it was untouched I doubt that was your "initial" problem. Although it overheated and overflowed, so now you do. 

I'm guessing it has more to do with your tune. If it's running lean it'll run hot. These bikes have a tendency to do that, I know cause I'm dealing with it myself. I'm planning to get my bike to J.D. as well and then next step is adding a 2nd radiator. My engine has a bit more work done on it than an exhaust though, I don't think you should need it for a stock engine with exhaust. Just go get that sucker tuned. 

Still fighting that issue? :(

On 1/23/2017 at 1:28 PM, TRMN8TR said:

I didn't touch the radiator during the install of anything.  I'll give J.D. a ring and bring it up to his place.  I don't want to make things worse!

how hard is it to pull a spark plug out and read it? if you're running lean enough to overheat the bike in ten minutes in 60* weather your plugs should show it. 

thermostat opening? how hard is it to pull the thermostat out of the bike? dropping it in boiling water will tell you if it's shot or not, tho your stat might fail open instead of closed, which would present a different set of symptoms. 

pressure test the radiator cap. 

liquid cooling is awesome until a single component fails, then it's a shit-show. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

how hard is it to pull a spark plug out and read it? if you're running lean enough to overheat the bike in ten minutes in 60* weather your plugs should show it. 

thermostat opening? how hard is it to pull the thermostat out of the bike? dropping it in boiling water will tell you if it's shot or not, tho your stat might fail open instead of closed, which would present a different set of symptoms. 

how hard is it to pressure test the radiator cap?

FTFY.

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

FTFY.

I like the original better. I have very little hands on experience with these bikes, so I have no clue how impossible it is to access the plugs, stat housing or rad cap. Pressure testing can probably be done at AutoZone if they have the right adaptor. 

Just now, CrazySkullCrusher said:

I like the original better. I have very little hands on experience with these bikes, so I have no clue how impossible it is to access the plugs, stat housing or rad cap. Pressure testing can probably be done at AutoZone if they have the right adaptor. 

Plugs arent bad (unless they changed the process for the 14's.) just time consuming. Never did the other stuff personally.

if it's blowing out the overflow tank then I would see if you can diagnose the cap. maybe a replacement isnt too expensive. maybe you know someone with a bike that uses the same cap? it's worth eliminating from the list of possibilities and it's probably the cheapest fix. 

9 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Talks down air cooled Suzuki bike in one thread while admitting to being infatuated with air cooled pasta strainer in this thread....

"Air cooled pasta strainer"... thanks for that; just sprayed coffee out my nose! :lol: