'14 Daytona overheating

jacobhawkins

Any luck? All good suggestion above. Burp system (even though it sounded like you didn't mess with cooling sys) and then the other tests to rule out what it could be.

Interested in seeing the fix since such a new bike and seems like 675's are always having funky issues I should note of for future.

I've been working like a maniac at work lately and it's been cold outside so any motivation was drained.  I just burped it, I'm going for a test ride in a couple hours.  Hope its better!  If not, I'll just take it up to J.D. and not worry about it.

• Upvote 1

It didn't totally overheat, got one bar away and I made it back home.  I'd say 5-7 minutes.  J.D. said I may need to burp it a few times and if I can't solve it he'd get it figured out.  This week should be warm so I'll try some more but I intend to have it to his place this weekend regardless.

If it's overheating that quickly in this weather, I gotta believe it's not a lean fuel condition, the radiator cap or an air bubble in the coolant system.  Sounds more like the coolant isn't circulating at all, which suggests to me some problem with the water pump or thermostat.  I'd pull out the t-stat and see if the problem persists; if so, tear into your water pump.  

It's related to what he just did on the bike. Too big of a coincidence that it just happened. He f'd something up, take all that shit back off and put it back the way it was. Then add on one item at a time.

No offense, we have all f'd something up.

46 minutes ago, Tonik said:

It's related to what he just did on the bike. Too big of a coincidence that it just happened. He f'd something up, take all that shit back off and put it back the way it was. Then add on one item at a time.

No offense, we have all f'd something up.

Still probably worthwhile to check the thermostat, but yeah. 

Yeah, I clearly f'd this thing up.  I doubt the initial problem was an air bubble because I didn't touch the coolant system, after the overheat, yeah, that's a problem, but maybe not the main one.  If I screwed up the wiring I would think it would either not run at all, run terrible (performance wise), or throw a code.  That's not happening.  Remember, this bike barely has 1500 miles on it.  With the warm weather this week I'll a better chance of getting back to confirm what kind of a dumbass I really am.

Uggg, at least the Patriots are getting their ass kicked.  

Edited by jacobhawkins
  • Upvote 1

On 1/21/2017 at 2:24 PM, jacobhawkins said:

Yes, I'm a dumbass and I hate myself.

I put on a PCV, Ignition module, full exhaust, block off plates, filter.

It's the ignition module.  It's f'ing up your timing and making it overheat. Swap it back out and try again.

12 minutes ago, Tonik said:

It's the ignition module.  It's f'ing up your timing and making it overheat. Swap it back out and try again.

Yeah, that's my thinking now.  It's kind of a pain to get out, but if I can confirm thats the issue, I'll put it back and J.D. can play with the adjustment.  Just hate to show up for a tune with issues.  Waste of everyone's time. 

You don't know what the issue is until you investigate. I've never personally seen ignition timing overwhelm a liquid cooling system that was working properly. Too much advance will cause pings and knocks, but the ECU should sense them and make adjustments. If the ignition module prevents that, you'd hear pings and knocks inside your motor. 

Confirm there isn't a problem with the cooling system before trying to diagnose by parts-swapping. 

You spark plugs will tell you if combustion chamber temps are too hot. It is 100% free to look at them.

But don't take my word for it, I don't work on bikes or anything. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

Haha fair enough, I'll find the plugs. 

below air box down with throttle bodies. some disassembly required. 

this should be pretty close to the same: http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/176659-diy-street-triple-spark-plug-and-air-filter-change.html

Edited by what