Random question: motorcycle parking in Lower Manhattan?

Casper

I have a work thing there in April and was wanting to ride. Hotel doesn't have parking. The garage nearby that the hotel uses doesn't have motorcycle parking. Probably a long shot, but does anyone on here know of anything? Specifically around One World Trade Center. 

Looked it up. That area of NYC typically has reservations for parking in advance. But, did find this list of places to park motorcycles. http://www.panix.com/~bergman/data/data.bike_park_nyc.html

I'd be tempted to park at/near a train/subway platform outside of town, and take the rail into the downtown area. Not sure that would be anymore secure though.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, ReconRat said:

Looked it up. That area of NYC typically has reservations for parking in advance. But, did find this list of places to park motorcycles. http://www.panix.com/~bergman/data/data.bike_park_nyc.html

I'd be tempted to park at/near a train/subway platform outside of town, and take the rail into the downtown area. Not sure that would be anymore secure though.

Thanks for the link Tom.

17 minutes ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

Didn't even think to check Yelp. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

If the hotel and the parking don't have spots for motorcycles, that should be a clue. 

The hotel doesn't have parking. They use a third party garage for valet only. I was hoping to take a long route to get there and enjoy some scenery before my meeting. 

5 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Ask the hotel where their guests lark their bikes?

It's Manhatten. You can't just roll up and park there. It's owned by rich people. 

I did. They have no parking for guests on motorcycles. Only valet parking, and valet won't park motorcycles. I'm hoping to find a nearby garage that has motorcycle parking. 

2 hours ago, Casper said:

I did. They have no parking for guests on motorcycles. Only valet parking, and valet won't park motorcycles. I'm hoping to find a nearby garage that has motorcycle parking. 

Wow. Been to boatloads of valet only hotels. They always let me park it myself in the valet lot. Very accommodating.

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Wow. Been to boatloads of valet only hotels. They always let me park it myself in the valet lot. Very accommodating.

Did you call ahead or just show up? I called, but am thinking about just showing up on the bike. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Wojo72 said:

Are you trying to increase the chances of the bike getting jacked or what?  Insurance check bitches!  While you are at it up your insurance plan.  Have you ever driven in NYC?

Wojo has it.  Rent a car and make sure you've got adequate insurance.

If you've got to enjoy the scenery, contact a dealership near your destination.  Put bike in for service, rent a car and go to whatever the hell's worth doing there.  Drive back to dealer, pick up bike, ride home.

8 minutes ago, Wandering Soul said:

Wojo has it.  Rent a car and make sure you've got adequate insurance.

If you've got to enjoy the scenery, contact a dealership near your destination.  Put bike in for service, rent a car and go to whatever the hell's worth doing there.  Drive back to dealer, pick up bike, ride home.

That place is so overcrowded that walking down the sidewalk was a fucking adventure.  A person in front of me stopped and I started getting pushed from behind by the herd.  Nice place to visit once....other than that fuck it.     I'd rather spend time in Chiraq and that isn't saying much.  I grew up just outside of Chicago so it's not like I am spooked by populated areas.

Edited by Wojo72
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Wojo72 said:

That place is so overcrowded that walking down the sidewalk was a fucking adventure.  A person in front of me stopped and I started getting pushed from behind by the herd.  Nice place to visit once....other than that fuck it.     I'd rather spend time in Chiraq and that isn't saying much.  I grew up just outside of Chicago so it's not like I am spooked by populated areas.

Man knows what he's talking about.

10 hours ago, Tonik said:

Everybody relax. He isn't riding his bike that far, and he sold his trailer. This is just mid winter dreaming on his part.

I'm just cranky because I have a dirty bike in the garage that needs to be cleaned up.  I did enjoy riding yesterday, though.

I went to NYC once. I rear ended a double parked Taxi on my race bicycle, (backpack large enough to fit a human body in endoed me onto the trunk) Paid as much to park my car as I did for a room, Swam a mile in the Hudson, Placed 22 out of 132 in my age group, Saw Aretha Franklin walking down the sidewalk. Realized from 2 blocks away the parade (with shirtless men dancing on floats in speedos) spllitting the Island in half was the pride parade. Came home after 2 days of 4 days taken off work

I've been there dozens of times and couldn't imagine riding my bike in that area.  We don't even bother staying down there anymore, just use PT or Uber to wander around on foot, then get back out.  Too much chaos. 

Gotta agree with the "no ride" advise... I went to Manhattan a couple months ago and rented a car. Parked it at the hotel (valet) and turned it back in the next day. People drive (and walk) like they're insane in that area... PLUS - All the damn construction. 

39 minutes ago, jdonn said:

Gotta agree with the "no ride" advise... I went to Manhattan a couple months ago and rented a car. Parked it at the hotel (valet) and turned it back in the next day. People drive (and walk) like they're insane in that area... PLUS - All the damn construction. 

Only hoping to ride to and from, not around the city. I'm in Manhattan a few times a year. LA is way worse. I can literally walk faster than driving down Hollywood Blvd. 

• Upvote 1