Engine Break-in Procedure

what

7 hours ago, Wojo72 said:

I know that there are a few exceptions here who have high mileage bikes.

124,000 and counting.  Sent the last two oil samples in for analysis and they came back excellent.  I broke mine in per the manual...ish. 

I broke my 15 R1 in on DTM's dyno very similar to that article. Bike had 30 miles on it when i got there. Restricted, it made 171 hp. Curious what it makes now being flashed and 'loosened up'.  Been ridden on the track ever since without any issue, roughly 3500 miles. 

13 minutes ago, OSUYZFR1 said:

I broke my 15 R1 in on DTM's dyno very similar to that article. Bike had 30 miles on it when i got there. Restricted, it made 171 hp. Curious what it makes now being flashed and 'loosened up'.  Been ridden on the track ever since without any issue, roughly 3500 miles. 

Arent those things damn near 200hp? I wouldnt be surprised if you were in the 190's.

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

Arent those things damn near 200hp? I wouldnt be surprised if you were in the 190's.

200 HP would have been crank HP. 171 at the wheel with the ECU restrictions still in place makes 200 at the crank seem possible. I'd be happy with mid 180's at the wheel the way it sits. Someday I'll trailer it down to DTM and find out. I don't find myself complaining about power but I'd take some more ponies down the back straight at MO. The AIM shows GPS speed of 169. :) 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OSUYZFR1 said:

200 HP would have been crank HP. 171 at the wheel with the ECU restrictions still in place makes 200 at the crank seem possible. I'd be happy with mid 180's at the wheel the way it sits. Someday I'll trailer it down to DTM and find out. I don't find myself complaining about power but I'd take some more ponies down the back straight at MO. The AIM shows GPS speed of 169. :) 

hah, I'm excited to let the new 1000 eat on the back straight of Mid-O and Road A this year.

On 1/16/2017 at 4:16 PM, Isaac's Papa said:

Follow the manual. 

Now thats out of the way... Hot, cold, hot, cold. Avoid prolonged sustained RPM. (think interstate) Regular riding with short bursts of high RPM to creat heat and seat the rings and valves is how it should be done. No need to redline the engine, but it needs to spin up when it's warm now and then. 

Or follow the manual. That's also safe. Just avoid droning the engine. 

This. 

I also change the oil on all my new vehicles at 100 miles. 

Nothing wrong with buying used but there's nothing like new, everything is all nice and tight.