RIP Andersons

Casper

3 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Why the fuck is this here? Who cares? 

Why is this here?  Are we suddenly discriminating on what we post?  Really?

My guess is that the roughly 1,000 people without a job give a shit.

Generally, an interesting, quirky store to go through.  Sort of a combined Walmart and Trader Joe's.  

Edited by DAC

2 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I'll listen to arguments made by those who've not shopped at a Walmart inside of one year. 

Go ahead. I'll wait....

The only time I ever shop at Walmart is in Alcoa on the way to the cabin, and that's because there aren't really any options. Outside of that, it's been years. I despise Walmart. 

I'll listen to arguments made by those who've not shopped at a Walmart inside of one year. 

Go ahead. I'll wait....

So, I guess this is the part where people brag about not shopping at Walmart.

Just buy the same stuff I buy at the other humongo chains.  Pay $27 for a jug of Mobil1 at WallyWorld or $39 at Advance Auto?  I'll take WallyWorld for $27, Alex.

Pick you chain poison.  Retail is a scale game.

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

That's your prerogative, too. Just saying that contributing to the market by way of finding the cheapest deals has negative reactions on some level. We all do it, but we're assholes if we convince ourselves it's not harmful to our neighbors. 

When was the last time anybody bought something from Anderson's? Do they sell Mobil1? 

Last weekend. Bought some beer, and some stuff for little dude's pinewood derby car. 

I shopped at Andersons a couple of weeks ago.   Most of my shopping at Andersons is done in spring, winter, and fall.   They sell good stuff for grilling out. 

It is also nice talking to somebody that knows about the beer and wine they are selling.   I have been given good recommendations from them many times. 

• Upvote 2

That's your prerogative, too. Just saying that contributing to the market by way of finding the cheapest deals has negative reactions on some level. We all do it, but we're assholes if we convince ourselves it's not harmful to our neighbors. 

When was the last time anybody bought something from Anderson's? Do they sell Mobil1? 

They sell the full line of Amsoil.

Online shopping has done more damage in 5 years to effect small and large business than Walmart has since its inception.  Hell online is effecting Walmart.  The only retail box stores not suffering are home improvement.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Why'd they tank if they're so popular? 

Andersons has huge grain silos in several spots along the Maumee river.  The retail stores were never really meant to be a large chunk of their business, but were always a cool interface for an ag company to connect with the community.  Historically, the stores made a small profit, until recently.  The last half dozen years the stores have been losing a mil or two each year.  Inside info says this is partly due to the economic downturn, but also due to some very poor management decisions over the years by an Anderson family member responsible for the retail side.  It's like any other failed business, there's a mix of problems. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/16/2017 at 11:28 AM, Isaac's Papa said:

Go ahead. I'll wait....

Just once with the corporate card because my boss made me.... 

Edited by snot

If you have ever walked into the Mount Vernon Kroger you will know why I shop at walmart. That's store sucks, half the size of the average Kroger and nothing else in town other than a Aldi. For that matter I don't even shop at the Wally in Vernon we go up to Bellville most of the time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

If you have ever walked into the Mount Vernon Kroger you will know why I shop at walmart. That's store sucks, half the size of the average Kroger and nothing else in town other than a Aldi. For that matter I don't even shop at the Wally in Vernon we go up to Bellville most of the time.

Did you know Aldi employees start at $12.75/hr, and shift managers at $17.75/hr? Kinda makes me want to start shopping there. 

• Upvote 2

My family shops at Aldi, we like most of their stuff. Some of it is not great but we just try different things and then if it turns out it's crap we don't purchase it again. It always amazes me that they can get their customers to return all their carts with that little quarter locking device they have on each cart. 

17 minutes ago, durk said:

My family shops at Aldi, we like most of their stuff. Some of it is not great but we just try different things and then if it turns out it's crap we don't purchase it again. It always amazes me that they can get their customers to return all their carts with that little quarter locking device they have on each cart. 

Aldi is huge in Europe, like "the" chain grocery story. The cart deal is a one euro coin there. There are often times people asking to take your cart back for you so they can have the euro. Kinda weird/cool.