Old Rip Van Winkle Bourbon

Tpoppa

53 minutes ago, Qman said:

Took a tour through that distillery.  What ncredible aromas inside the barrel aging warehouse!!

The Kentucky Bourbon Trail.  Maker's Mark and others.  Excellent tour.  I highly recommend it.

My mother's people made their own liquor for God knows how many generations.  Served time for it, got shot over it and shot others.  I've run it up north.  Both legitimate distilleries and the small operations around Corbin, Barboursville and further south are part of our history that most won't talk much about; especially the illegal traditions.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

There's a few tiers.  I stay closer to $50/bottle.

I'm just going by what a co-worker told me last week. He was just out in Scottsdale and said the hotel he was at was serving Pappy at $50/shot. Granted, it's Scottsdale and a resort hotel so that's already cranking the price up there quite a bit. I guess they had Lois XIII as well. 

Edited by what

3 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

^ thats the most full map I've seen here in a while.

When you get old like me, you'll have that! Also, add Costa Rica, New Brunswick, British Columbia, Newfoundland, Quebec, Nova Scotia, Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina.

12 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Even Williams is pretty good.

Bulliet and Jim Beam Black are also good ones for the price.

Thanks..have to check that out.  I bought some Elijah Craig for ~$20 the other day. ... Meh!

Eagle Rare is much better for ~$33 (as it should be), and made by Buffalo Trace like the Van Winkle stuff.

Edited by Qman
  • Upvote 1

In the $35 range, I have tried several and generally like Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select the best.  Knob Creek is second and Four Roses is also good.  This is all "palate of the beholder" stuff, though.  But if you keep buying EW in between the others, or try it along side, the bang for the buck becomes obvious.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DAC said:

In the $35 range, I have tried several and generally like Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select the best.  Knob Creek is second and Four Roses is also good.  This is all "palate of the beholder" stuff, though.  But if you keep buying EW in between the others, or try it along side, the bang for the buck becomes obvious.

How would you compare these to Eagle Rare?  TIA.