tools & first aid - what do you carry every ride?

redkow97

My local trails are all relatively short, and at worst, a flat would leave with a 4-5 mile hike back to the trail head.   As such, I've only been carrying wrenches to adjust my grips, levers, etc. until I get the controls feeling completely right.

But it's cold, and a log walk in deep snow can take a long time.  Especially if your feet are already kind of cold, and possibly wet.

I spent $7.50 on a small under-tail bag to hold my phone and keys, but there's going to be room for (a little) more stuff.

As of now I'm thinking I will want or need the following:

- CO2 inflator, with three 16g canisters (fat tire bike FTL)

- allen wrenches

- tire levers

- tube patches

- gauze

- medical tape

- hand warmers (disposable)

- a small bottle of hydrogen peroxide (I have sample-sized contact solution that I can empty and re-fill with peroxide)

- a couple of band-aids

- zip ties.

Anything major I'm forgetting?   On local trails, I'm not that concerned, but I feel like it's a good habit to just always have that stuff.  I considered a spare tube, but fat tire tubes are large, and the patch kit should get me back to the car.  On a longer ride, I might bring one.

2x plug kits, multi-tool, T-bar socket wrench with common socket sizes, headlamp, kickstand puck, small can of chain lube, superglue, large wrench to bend levers if need be, water, granola bars, medium first-aid kit with coagulant/gauze/scissors/bandages, sharpie.

i think some other stuff i'm probably forgetting. yes, it's all in that lovely green backpack i always wear. 

*edit

zip ties, i need zip ties. thanks for reminding me, chris. 

Edited by what

1 minute ago, Casper said:

Nope. You're on a gun, bicycle, ATV, track day, politics forum. Easy mistake. 

Got it. Next time I am on my ATV at the track and see you on your bike I will shoot you. Then blame Obama at the trial.

• Upvote 2

On my road bike under the seat bag I carry a spare tube, two co2 cartridges, a tire lever, $20 bill, and my cell phone in my cycling jersey/jacket back pockets. If I have to fix anything with tools the ride is over and I call my wife or friends. Calling someone has happened more for weather than a mechanical breakdown on a long ride. 

10 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

No such luck for me. My wife is my riding partner and I have no friends. Even then, it's sketchy. My battery died a couple years ago in the Multistrada and I was stranded at night in the middle of southern Ohio. I called my wife to come get me with our trailer and she told me to get fucked. 

I would've come got you. 

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

No such luck for me. My wife is my riding partner and I have no friends. Even then, it's sketchy. My battery died a couple years ago in the Multistrada and I was stranded at night in the middle of southern Ohio. I called my wife to come get me with our trailer and she told me to get fucked. 

You need to join assistance list. It's free and and simple to sign up. 

http://www.assistancelist.com/

Definitely zip ties. And flatten out a used roll of duct tape to fit in there.

The most common motorcycle first aid situations are debris in eyes, burns (including sunburn), cuts and abrasions.

Google up motorcycle first aid, and several websites will give kit recommendations.

Might add on one of those bee/bug sting stick thingies. It does happen.

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Tim doesn't count. He's only here because we have a quota to meet. He's merely for show. 

It's because Jinu no longer loves us either.

59 minutes ago, Tonik said:

@TimTheAzn don't even have a bike anymore, let alone a pool table.

Don't you put me in with Brian, I am for sure replacing it within the month.

9 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I was there. It was very dark. I heard banjos. I was scared. We may have cuddled under the stars. May I said. 

• Upvote 1