Starter bike for the wife

Wojo72

Thought that this might be a good starter bike for the wife but the super low miles spooks me a bit.  Warranted or not?  The price is probably a bit high compared to the book value but I don't know how much the lack of mileage is worth.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcd/5949210571.html

She is going to outgrow that single cylinder bike before she finishes the MSF course.  You can buy 2006 750 Honda Shadows and Aero's all day long for 2500 with saddlebags and all the farkles.  I would get one of those.

My wife had one of these for her 1st bike.  She liked it a lot & rode it for a couple years. One advantage of this bike over the twins is that it is light weight. Don't knock 31 HP until you try it.  Plenty of grunt for a beginner, being a single cylinder.  Kept up with traffic just fine.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

A friend of mine started on a vstar 650 as her first bike. Affordable and very low seat height for short legged people.

Great bike as the learned Justin says.  Secretary has one, she rides it all over with us...even on long trips.  She can't do 90 on the freeway but she is right on our ass the rest of the time.

CBR250 single is an awesome choice.

Honestly, I think it would be a really fun bike to own.  You can go WOT every time the light turns green, and you'll never make it past 100mph on the highway to put yourself in real danger of losing your license.

I think i'd put a taller windscreen on it and a steel front brake line, then just burn through tires.  A naked version with riser bars would be more discreet than the full-fairings, but I feel like wind-screens look less attractive in that context, and they're greatly appreciated at highway speeds...

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, motocat12 said:

4 speed :wtf:

I popped into that shop and chatted with the guy 2 summers ago.

is she licensed or will she take the bike on the parking lot course?

No license yet.  She was supposed to take the class last year but never signed up.  I'm in no hurry until she puts in the effort......Unless it's a Vmax then I'll ride it until she is ready.  :yuno:

10 hours ago, zx3vfr said:

Vulcan S. they should start coming up pretty cheap soon. 

My wife's current bike. She got rid of a Ducati Monster 696 to get this. The Vulcan S is pretty nice. If she's got her heart set on a cruiser, I would recommend this bike. If you start checking out cruisers start tallying up the HP to weight ratios and you will see. A relatively light bike is better imho.

On 1/9/2017 at 3:47 PM, redkow97 said:

CBR250 single is an awesome choice.

Honestly, I think it would be a really fun bike to own.  You can go WOT every time the light turns green, and you'll never make it past 100mph on the highway to put yourself in real danger of losing your license.

I think i'd put a taller windscreen on it and a steel front brake line, then just burn through tires.  A naked version with riser bars would be more discreet than the full-fairings, but I feel like wind-screens look less attractive in that context, and they're greatly appreciated at highway speeds...

Man, the fiancée's CB300F is a blast to ride.  And surprisingly the wind blast at WOT isn't bad at all. Honda did a good job on the aerodynamics.

• Upvote 1