Trackbike sale protocol

Helmutt

Meh, I dont care who likes or who hates it, I just know that it's one of the more common bikes on track.  So, it will sell quickly, especially at this price point.  If the deal works out, you seriously wont be able to find a good used F2/F3 as cheap.  I'm being offered a buddy deal to help him break even, and help his wife cool off about it....just have some history to investigate first before I'll commit to anything.  It's just too small for me and too much for the wife, so somebody might be getting a smokin deal....to be continued

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure who thinks most track or race bikes are stolen and have ground off VINs.  This is by no means remotely the case.  In fact, when you are teched, you are showing the VIN and even with WERA, you write the VIN at the top.  Now, they do not check each number and letter, but I know for sure that if you rolled up with a ground off VIN, you'd be sitting at the side while they called the cops or you could provide proof why that was happening.

A lot of bikes are BOS only for several reasons.  One, almost all of my bikes recently have had MSOs instead of a title.  Comes directly from the company and I never titled it.  I signed it and filled everything out but when sold, MSO only.  Some people lose the titles along the way as racebikes are pretty much never street ridden and once converted, paperwork can get forgotten and lost.  BOS are pretty legit at times.  I would run the numbers, post a thread on WERA to see if anyone is missing something and go from there.

• Upvote 2

Just got the vehicle history reports back, and both Cycle vin and Ohio BMV vin searches show the bike is crystal clean.   We'll see what the owner wants to do before I move further to help him sell it, but it's looking good so far

Well.....foot in mouth.   Just spoke with Title and Vehicle Information Services in Cbus and they are showing a lein is still out against this bike.   Apparently Cycle Vin and Ohio BMV show no communication about it from this particular bank.  

Gonna have to pass, way too many hoops to resolve issues like that.  Sucks for my work buddy, he's either hosed or will have to pursue shady sales tactics to get rid of it now

Edited by Hellmutt

7 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

A lein for how much?

No clue without consorting with the bank.  He said he was going to check it out and see.  I handed him the copies of the vin history reports to maybe help substantiate his side of things.

If he's lucky, it might not be that serious.  Some unpaid fee, or a small amount that a collections agency would settle for a few hundred bucks.  The bigger problem is going to be if the last titled owner finds out, satisfies the lien, and then comes to collect the bike...

Or he might be totally cool with agreeing to apply for a new title and turn it over, as long as the costs are covered by someone else. 

14 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

If he's lucky, it might not be that serious.  Some unpaid fee, or a small amount that a collections agency would settle for a few hundred bucks.  The bigger problem is going to be if the last titled owner finds out, satisfies the lien, and then comes to collect the bike...

Or he might be totally cool with agreeing to apply for a new title and turn it over, as long as the costs are covered by someone else. 

The po is deceased and the widow is who sold this guy the bike.  She didn't want anything to do with it, just wanted something for it and for it to be gone from her possession.   She liquidated everything and has since moved away, so extremely remote chances that she'll come looking for the bike and pay any remaining debt against it.