Lap Timers, What do you use and why?

TimTheAzn

Like the title says, Lap Timers! Which ones do you use and why? I've seen some that are their own stand alone unit, while other ones that you can connect to a phone via bluetooth. Some give you additional information such as lean angle, RPM, speed, etc.

I always tell myself going into these kinds of things, don't buy the best, you don't need the best, and I only listen to myself maybe 1/2 the time.

My goal is pretty obvious, I just want to know my lap times so when I experiment with different lines, braking zones, apex's, etc. I can see how it affects my overall lap time. I also just want to know where I stand for my own personal gratification (or motivation, most likely motivation).

Edited by TimTheAzn

3 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Like the title says, Lap Timers! Which ones do you use and why? I've seen some that are their own stand alone unit, while other ones that you can connect to a phone via bluetooth. Some give you additional information such as lean angle, RPM, speed, etc.

I always tell myself going into these kinds of things, don't buy the best, you don't need the best, and I only listen to myself maybe 1/2 the time.

My goal is pretty obvious, I just want to know my lap times so when I experiment with different lines, braking zones, apex's, etc. I can see how it affects my overall lap time. I also just want to know where I stand for my own personal gratification (or motivation, most likely motivation).

If it was my money I would by the AIM solo GPS. They make a DL (data logging) version as well. No need for beacons or anything else additional. With that being said one of our best selling non-gps versions is the XT Racing Ultra Lap timer. It does a great job but does require a beacon. XT also makes the GPX versions which will provide much more data. Everyone has there own opinion on this but for me the AIM is what I would go if you can swing the cost. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, motocat12 said:

You have tried the built in one?

On my daytona? From what I read I flick the start switch? (Hows that work with the starter motor?) I'm not entirely sure how to use it and I kind of want something more accurate and hands free. I know I'll forget to hit that coming over the start/finish more often than not.

XT basic ol  lap timer... 9 times out of 10 some one has an XT beacon out.. also I have my own beacon in case

my next one will be fore sure an AIM Solo...

I find getting nice consistent lap times first  generally within a few hundredths  for 3-4 laps a session then  taking 1 single section that I struggle at and work on different lines and braking markers to see how they then affect my overall times

Edited by TwiztedRabbit

12 hours ago, TwiztedRabbit said:

XT basic ol  lap timer... 9 times out of 10 some one has an XT beacon out.. also I have my own beacon in case

my next one will be fore sure an AIM Solo...

I find getting nice consistent lap times first  generally within a few hundredths  for 3-4 laps a session then  taking 1 single section that I struggle at and work on different lines and braking markers to see how they then affect my overall times

I've been listening to some coaching pod casts and have been learning about the process of improving overall and common places where people can pick up a lot of time (like getting a good drive onto the longest straight). A lap timer seems like a sensible tool for me to use to help myself improve. 

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

I've been listening to some coaching pod casts and have been learning about the process of improving overall and common places where people can pick up a lot of time (like getting a good drive onto the longest straight). A lap timer seems like a sensible tool for me to use to help myself improve. 

GoPro helped me the most with this. Just hearing how lazy I was in some parts of the track helped me charge into corners harder and also pick up the throttle sooner. 

For laptimer, I use an AIM solo dl now but had a regular xt laptimer for years. GPS is better if you can swing it as it gives you more info and can be sliced and diced whereas the xt only gives you a lap time. Xt can't compare sectors as easily as a gps unit will. You need additional beacons and I've never seen this done actually. The aim breaks each corner and straight into a sector and you can compare each lap. It also gives you a theoretical best time based on the fastest time of each sector. The other cool thing is you can compare a lap time from someone faster  than you and see where they are faster. 

3 minutes ago, OSUYZFR1 said:

GoPro helped me the most with this. Just hearing how lazy I was in some parts of the track helped me charge into corners harder and also pick up the throttle sooner. 

The one session Ryan was out with me at Mid-O told me A LOT. I re-watch that video like every other day LOL.

I need to bump up a group so I can get around more of us with go-pro's.

Considering: 

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-GPS-1020-XGPS160-Receiver/dp/B00E65TNYE/ref=pd_sbs_107_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9VBZ53WGM9J3PEGRCSN6

Or even:

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-XGPS150A-Universal-Bluetooth/dp/B006M49G80/ref=pd_sim_107_10?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D8W04GQ064HFWCJFZ6K0

And some sort of app like:

http://www.gps-laptimer.de/

Ryan used one of these and it seemed to work for him. I think I have an old phone laying around. I'll have to find it when I get home to see what it's battery life is like.....

Edited by TimTheAzn

40 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Considering: 

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-GPS-1020-XGPS160-Receiver/dp/B00E65TNYE/ref=pd_sbs_107_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9VBZ53WGM9J3PEGRCSN6

Or even:

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-XGPS150A-Universal-Bluetooth/dp/B006M49G80/ref=pd_sim_107_10?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D8W04GQ064HFWCJFZ6K0

And some sort of app like:

http://www.gps-laptimer.de/

Ryan used one of these and it seemed to work for him. I think I have an old phone laying around. I'll have to find it when I get home to see what it's battery life is like.....

Do you know where Ryan's gps is? That little standalone unit that attaches to the phone via bluetooth is actually really good. You don't have to have the phone on you unless you want to see times while riding.

2 minutes ago, blue03636 said:

Do you know where Ryan's gps is? That little standalone unit that attaches to the phone via bluetooth is actually really good. You don't have to have the phone on you unless you want to see times while riding.

Brandon bought it I believe. 

12 hours ago, Jester_ said:

I have an aim solo for sale if anyone is interested.

I wired a gpx pro into the r6 for more data logging. 

Just for shits and gigs, and because I have NOTHING to do at work this week, what are you asking fo dat?

I'll have an XT UltraLap with a beacon for sale soon if I do get Ryan's GPS thing working. I also gotta make sure the old phone I was planning to use with it still works and has battery life. Cause I sure as hell ain't strapping my new phone on the bike and risking it going flying. 

5 minutes ago, TRMN8TR said:

I'll have an XT UltraLap with a beacon for sale soon if I do get Ryan's GPS thing working. I also gotta make sure the old phone I was planning to use with it still works and has battery life. Cause I sure as hell ain't strapping my new phone on the bike and risking it going flying. 

Yea, I meant to look at one of my old phones last night. It should be pretty simple from what I've read.

I think I'm going to use this app: http://www.gps-laptimer.de/

But there is an entire list of apps it should work with on this page under the Apps tab: http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps160/

The GPS timers are badass, because they can tell you exactly where you're losing time. Especially if you get someone faster to run some hot laps for comparison.

i have an XT ultra. 

The cheap moto D timers aren't bad for what they cost. 

I have the AIM solo like Dan's cause well..........I wanted to be like Dan.  I like the AIM because it is very easy to set up and download data (more or less turn it on and go.  If the track is not in the database walk over to track edge hit learn new track, hit the add button name and your done).  Software for data review is easy to use and has a playback feature with tables so you can see your speed at certain points in a lap.  Ryan's GPS timer was great as long as you are willing to spend a lot of time getting it set up.  Took Ryan about a month to get his up and running.  But once he figured it out it worked well.  All in all he had about $225 in the set up with the phone etc.  The phone is a must have.  The first week he had it he spent his time between sessions downloading the data to his phone so he could see his lap times.  For what Dan is asking for the AIM is a really good deal.  I previously had the XT but if your planning on running with N2 they can be pretty lax about setting up a beacon and even when they did none of our timers ever picked it up.  Hence the reason we all went to GPS based. 

Edited by RonStopable

On 12/27/2016 at 0:25 PM, TimTheAzn said:

On my daytona? From what I read I flick the start switch? (Hows that work with the starter motor?) I'm not entirely sure how to use it and I kind of want something more accurate and hands free. I know I'll forget to hit that coming over the start/finish more often than not.

The starter just freewheels if the motor is running, there's no damage if you hit the starter switch after the engine is running but it's definitely not as reliable/accurate as a GPS or IR based add-on.