What did you do to your bicycle today?

motocat12

Looked at the bike, went to REI and looked at the service costs, looked at the bike again. 

I want to get it set up this year but the way my schedule is looking this spring/summer I don't know when the hell I'd have time to ride.

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Excellent. It was amazing outside today. 

Yes. You should. I'm just down the street from Blackhorse. I'm always down to ride into Kent for pizza and beer. 

Seriously!?  
Well dang... I think that would be excellent.

Tried to be a hood ornament.

i-2fBSMfJ-L.jpg

I don't remember the accident but other than some rash, bruises and a mild concussion I came out OK. The bike not so well. Bent top tube, broken chain stay and very bent rear wheel. The drivers insurance should pay for everything. I get to deal with that next.

Craig

Thanks

Advil is keeping me mobile and I have a prescription for stronger if I needed it.

The trucks fender and mirror look pretty bad too. 

Seems like a nice enough gentleman but he is still trying to figure out what he did wrong.

"I was as far over in my lane as I could get, I couldn't go farther due to an oncoming car."

It doesn't occur to him to slow up and wait for the oncoming car to clear. There is no way to safely pass anything in your lane on a narrow 2 lane with no shoulder. :nono:

Luckily he told the cop what happened because I have no idea. I don't remember anything until about 1/2 hr later.

2 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

Thanks

Advil is keeping me mobile and I have a prescription for stronger if I needed it.

The trucks fender and mirror look pretty bad too. 

Seems like a nice enough gentleman but he is still trying to figure out what he did wrong.

"I was as far over in my lane as I could get, I couldn't go farther due to an oncoming car."

It doesn't occur to him to slow up and wait for the oncoming car to clear. There is no way to safely pass anything in your lane on a narrow 2 lane with no shoulder. :nono:

Luckily he told the cop what happened because I have no idea. I don't remember anything until about 1/2 hr later.

Don't forget the new 3ft. Law just went into effect. 

• Upvote 1

Time for an action(evidence) cam?

FWIW I rode 28mi on the bike path , mold seams not worn off tires and I've met my year's worth of idiots there. Saw an Ambo managing a guy with a rashed cheek at a yield/merge and parents seem to make a game of putting babies in the path of  oncoming cyclists for points or something, extra for blind corners.(planners love corners to keep speeds down at the loss safety.) One corner has a sign posted blind corner, it's just  average riverside foliage that could be trimmed. Once a woman gets assaulted the shrubs on straight sections are radically shopped  back proper quick.

A mega loud horn is in my future.

Also It was so sunny I remembered my bike is actually stealth satin forged carbon finished (TIL, that process)(not my pic ,  mine is too stealth to show up in a pic)tBtZc.jpg

Edited by motocat12
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, CBBaron said:

Tried to be a hood ornament.

i-2fBSMfJ-L.jpg

I don't remember the accident but other than some rash, bruises and a mild concussion I came out OK. The bike not so well. Bent top tube, broken chain stay and very bent rear wheel. The drivers insurance should pay for everything. I get to deal with that next.

Craig

Damn dude!  And here I was feeling sorry for myself being sick all weekend and not being able to ride. 

Pulled mine and the Mrs. bikes out of the basement and gave them a quick once over and lubed the chain. Went to pump the tires and the pump handle goes straight to the floor, no compression. Borrowing a few o-rings from work today to rebuild it. Hoping the rain holds off this weekend so we can get out. 

13 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Fast twenty to the veterinarian for flea medicine. Nice day for a ride. Fuck that FedEx driver for passing on double yellow as Lyns was indicating to turn left. Asshole almost ran her over. 

Glad to hear it was only a close call, not worse. 

After talking to the "gentleman" who hit me, I'm thinking many of these assholes on the road are probably nice people in person, but just have no respect for bicyclist on the road. They just dont consider the option that they should slow and wait for Lyns to make the left or for oncoming traffic to clear so they can pass with plenty of clearance. :nono:

Looks like a nice ride otherwise. 

4 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

No. His windows were down and he was motherfucking her as he passed. Seriously considering a camera for road rides. Hate to do it, because I think it's a pain in the ass, but I've been right-hooked by a specific mail truck driver a few times in town. She's a real asshole and I'd like to punch her in her saggy tits.

Most drivers are courteous, but it only takes one douchebag for a bus ride to the emergency room. I agree that most are not even aware how they're driving habits effect others. I think it's common sense that a 2-ton pile of metal moving at 45+mph can cause serious damage to flesh and bone, but nobody seems to have respect for anything/anyone these days. It's a big reason I haven't pushed isaac to get his license. That is a huge responsibility. Far greater than people give consideration. Teenagers and automobiles aren't good to mix. Hell, most adults can't handle their car. 

Sorry to hear, I've dealt with a few of those over the years, but thankfully they seem to be rare. Most AHs are just unaware.

I agree about teens and autos. I'm not far from dealing with that myself.

I always view the drivers that buzz me as just part of the game, don't like it, but that's the way it is. Most of the time it's someone passing in your lane when there is a car coming the opposite direction, so they buzz you at way less than 3 feet. I always think, can't you wait until the oncoming car passes then they can pass safely, maybe wait 10 seconds and not put my life at risk. I rode 58 miles yesterday and 50 today, mostly in the country and back to suburbia, so I don't have to deal with much traffic. I notice around lunch hour people are really in a hurry and won't wait the 10 seconds. Hope there are some PSA's on TV & radio to let people know the new law. 

Edited by ricer1

I was doing climbs up a long separated 4 lane 50 mph hill and at the top a commodore bogan buzzed me. A mile later at a stoplight on the flat I caught him and gave him a mouthful. He told me to F off and bolted on the green and I caught up again at another light and gave it to him again. My lungs were on fire afterwards

Ocean rd.jpg

Turning 40 has its perks... added Wahoo Bolt computer and PowerTap P1 pedals. Love them both! I was using a Garmin 510 that I stole from the misses a while back cuz she wasnt using it. I think the Bolt is way better than the Garmin unit. If in the market for a cycling computer, I would highly suggest a Wahoo Bolt! 

Went to Mohican yesterday with the misses and did the short loop of 6 miles on the MTB using Bolt for tracking. Got home and chased rabbits through the metro park for over 50 miles to pair pedals, worked flawlessly and all was super easy to set up! 

https://www.strava.com/activities/945381357

IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

• Upvote 1

Rode it at Hampton hills. No pictures phone was in the car. Did the green loop a couple times then decided to hit the blue trail. Went to the new section and by the time I got back to the rest stop I thought I was having a heart attack. 45 minutes 5 days on an elliptical or stationary ain't  got shit on actually riding. Neither does 3 hours in the towpath. 

Edited by zx3vfr
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

So long as the top tube isn't too tall, you should be able to get that taken care of. 

I don't think it's too tall. I'm just too stretched out. Didn't bother me when i first started riding cause i didn't ride too far. But now any longer than an hour riding and my lower back starts hurting. I have the seat all the way forward already. 

31 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Stop moving things. There a process for fitting the bike. Where do you live? If you're close to Akron, I can help you get that sorted. 

I'm in North Olmsted so not that close; thanks for the offer though. I'm going to try the shorter stem first. If that doesn't help, Eddy's bike shop is 5 minutes from my house. I'll have them do a proper fitting and if i can't get my bike where it needs to be, i'll see what kind of trade-in i can get. I was just trying to save some money by fitting it myself based off reading online. But doing a professional fitting may be a necessity.