What did you do to your bicycle today?

motocat12

Serviced the fork for the first time in 2 years I've owned the 09 model bike. Had considered seeing if I could jam a 27.5 wheel in front but found a deal on $10 2.25 folding schwalbe nobby nics with better nobs and 1/2 in bigger diameter than my old tires and similar weight!

re-taped half a handlebar.

Have never been impressed with basic cork tape especially at it's price .

I got some stupid cheap rubber coated white grippy tape off ebay last year. On one side the rubber out stretched the silicone foam underneath and delaminated.

At the same time I got that I got some backup rolls of equally cheap red suede feeling tape.It's only half as grippy as the old white I'll miss that but still a little more grippy than cork.

Friday was new bike day. 

Framed Minnesota 3.0

i can't really call installing pedals a modification, but I grabbed standard aluminum platforms with adjustable traction screws. 

Today I swapped the stock grips for a pair of Ergon GS-1 weight distributing grips. Holy shit. Huge difference. Hands used to go numb within 5-10 miles, if not a lot less. 

Today I rode 20 miles with minimal numbness, and I don't even have them adjusted properly yet. I think they're angled a tad high. 

:-)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Go to hell press fit nozzles! (loctite bottle style) anyone else have trouble with them too? Have had blue loctite in my eye before.

I was trying to lube the balls on my nutted axle non-drive rear hub with Phil's oil. I squeezed his bottle and the nipple busted out gushing oil inside the hub, out side the hub, spokes, rim brake track, rubber tire, basement floor, over my hands. The whole area is slippery now.

12 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

RoadApple Roubaix? I'll be there with Lyns and @blue03636

That has been a fun ride in the past. The first year was pretty epic with 6" of snow on most of the back roads. I and most of the participants road a fatbike but there were a surprising number of cyclocross bikes that year. It was really impressive watching them keep the bike upright in the conditions.

Probably not going to make it this year. The cast comes off just a few days before and between that and holidays I am way out of shape. 

I do intend to train for Funk Bottoms in June.

Recently I changed the handlebar tape and brake pads on the Warbird and got a second disc for the spare wheels so I can switch between gravel tires and slicks with a simple wheel change.

I bought a trainer off of a friend and bought the thru axle adaptor so I can start using it once the cast is off.

7 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Whichever is the biggest. Lyns is allowed to use this as a recorded race time and get reimbursed her fees. So, can't quite let my wife 1-up me and she's a fucking asshole that can't just go out and have a nice, quiet ride. No. She has to "Go big or go home!", like a cross-fitter from Hell. 

So, yeah... I think I'm doing the forty. 

This is all true

8 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I don't follow. How old are those housings? 

I think he is implying they are not as strong as traditional housing and can rupture if you use enough force. 

It looks to me like those housing had wear at the point of failure. spiral wound housing would take significantly more wear before failing. The downside with spiral housing is that the compress more and can leave the brakes with a spongy feel.

10 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

It is public roads except for headwaters trail and some muddy bastard further north. 

There's like.. a map and shit. :dunno: 

Found the map. The squiggly line at the bottom is the only trail on the 25 mile loop. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxpYQjMsppyhNEFtS0VHck0yVVE/view

That buggy trail in Geauga county can be a really muddy mess this time of year. The headwaters trail is usually in pretty good shape with a few wet, but not real muddy spots. If it remains dry for the next couple weeks the "gravel" roads will probably be mostly hard pack and easily rideable with a skinny tired road bike. If it rains and or snows some next week the roads could get messier.

IP, drop a couple psi in your tires, those trails should be easily navigable with a cross bike like your SS. Though I usually have some wide 41mm tires rather than the smaller tire you have. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Miyata got a new saddle and a place to set my beer when I'm shifting. 

Took the SSCX out on Saturday. Trail was slippery. Took the Trek out on Sunday for some laps around the lake. Not much, but forty miles this weekend. It was good to get outside and suck some fresh air for a bit. 

I see you got some Bar mitts, those would have been nice on RAR :D

I did 30 on Sunday. It appeared they did not plow Beck Rd. in Mantua after the last snow. There were narrow muddy wheel tracks through 6" of wet slushy snow. Other than that and the normal spring pot holes It was not a bad ride.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Broke in the new beer rack. Split from work at noon-thirty and test road the Multi I serviced. Then found some weed, smoked it and headed into Kent for beer. I can't believe how plush that Miyata rolls. I need a road bike like this one. 

Nice :bicycle: I like the rack.

Looks like that granny ring is designed to climb walls :D