What did you do to your bicycle today?

motocat12

won an anonymous listed Sram xx1 11 speed 10-46(wolftooth) 275 g cassette on ebay for $67 shipped lightly used. 10 cogs are 1 milled piece of steel.

I realized it takes a special freehub after I won it. It's so sexy, I can't be disappointed. Could also double my money. 

image.thumb.png.0eb1aca36759e867a29735fa9ebda823.png 

After a 66 mile gravel ride this weekend

FBG_18_0482-L.jpg

I tore down the drive train. The chainring was missing a couple teeth and the rest of the narrow wide ring was all very narrow. Might explain dropping the chain many times during the ride.

Since the BB was also very gritty and the crankset was described as vintage by the chainring manufacturer, I decided to replace the whole crankset. New SRAM GX 30tooth on its way.

• Beer 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

waxed my seat. I had issues with it grabbing on my shorts and causing chaffing on 2 long rides. I thought the shorts were wearing out and the elastic was grabbing but new shorts did the same and sunblock didn't remedy. All fixed now

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New Panaracers for the Kona and new Mavic Open Pro hoops, DT 2.0 laced to Origin8 hubs. Also installed a set of Michelin Power tires and a shiny 16 tooth cog. Pulled 36.5 mph put of her on Saturday on a roadie ride. That is 155 rpm...and I loved every mile. 

20180930_180107.jpg

20180930_175022.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Put on my leafspring seatpost. 200g less than the crank bros post with an elastomer seat. No rides yet. It did tilt back when I sat on it with bolts torqued by feel .

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Temani-Newest-Bicycle-Carbon-Seatpost-different-shaped-seatpost-two-pieces-synthetic-seatpost-27-2-30-8/32692577387.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.56cc4c4dmvG6xq

Image result for 3ts seatpost

• 4 weeks later...

AN UPDATE ON PERFORMANCE BICYCLE – 12/07/2018 

The parent company of Performance Bicycle has entered into Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, and as a result there have been significant changes to our businesses. Currently, all Performance Bicycle stores are holding Store Closing Sales. 

• Beer 2

Hybrids are a good option for most people. I would personally not buy one with a suspension fork. It just ads weight and really doesn't provide any useful benefit for crushed stone paths. 

Far be it from me to take the joy out of buying your first brand new bicycle, but your money will go a long way with a used bike. A decent hybrid can be bought for a couple hundred dollars. A really nice (used) first bike can be had for $500ish. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Hybrids are a good option for most people. I would personally not buy one with a suspension fork. It just ads weight and really doesn't provide any useful benefit for crushed stone paths. 

Far be it from me to take the joy out of buying your first brand new bicycle, but your money will go a long way with a used bike. A decent hybrid can be bought for a couple hundred dollars. A really nice (used) first bike can be had for $500ish. 

This was actually my thought process, purchase used for the first bike.

• Beer 1

I paid $400 for my first decent bike. It was a 2012 Specialized Sirrus Sport that was barely a year old. It also came with a $600 wheelset that I moved over to my Trek road bike when I picked one up. 

Deals can be had if you are willing to hunt for them. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Pauly said:

I paid $400 for my first decent bike. It was a 2012 Specialized Sirrus Sport that was barely a year old. It also came with a $600 wheelset that I moved over to my Trek road bike when I picked one up. 

Deals can be had if you are willing to hunt for them. 

Any recommendations on where to look? Craigslist?

20 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

Any recommendations on where to look? Craigslist?

Bought my last used bike off facebook. The marketplace is not bad. You can also look for local bicycle and buy/sell/trade groups.

Craigslist probably has better deals, but usually many more "too good to be true" deals :( . Definitely requires a little more effort to find the wheat in the chaff.

• 2 weeks later...

Sigh.......USPS packages supposed to be delivered yesterday turned into "Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility."

Last known location for both was a few days ago in FL. Really wanted to get this thing buttoned up to go ride Thursday. 

Got the bike finished and took it out for the first time tonight at Ray's. Overall it rode great. Wish the frame was about 1" longer to keep my knees away from the stem. But not that bad. 

Probably heading back out to Ray's again next Thursday. 

49409615_10103839514883492_1414731458156691456_o.jpg

• Like 1

Put a wide shock absorbing ergon saddle on.  They have a new one that has dual shells with Adidas shoe foam in between that looks interesting. I hate crappy roads/trails

Found out my creaking was from my wax chain lube(only under hard pressure in both directions.

• 3 weeks later...

A little late... replaced the derailleur cables and got the shifting super dialed in on the fat bike a couple weeks ago. Race ready for 2/23.

rode a quick 13.x miles on the old Trek 850 “road” hybrid on Saturday. 

Been putting in some work on the spin bike before work. Looking at a CX bike on Thursday. 

RAR is 3/2. Need to start getting some longer rides in, rather than just 40-60 min HIIT rides.