What did you do to your bicycle today?

motocat12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wrecked it!

At royal view on the yellow trail. Downhill right hander. Don't think i was going too fast. Just got too far to the outside and the front lost grip. It was really loose dirt/sand/whatever and leaves didn't help.

No time to catch my self, went down hard on my right side. Rashed knee and shoulder. Both are kind of tender but will be fine in a few days. 

• Beer 1

As of Tuesday the wife had a flat tire......so now her and I got new tailbags, patch kits, spare tube, toolkit, and frame mount air pump.  Thinking we'll upgrade to Conti Gatorskins or similar puncture resistant tires over the winter.

5 hours ago, Helmutt said:

As of Tuesday the wife had a flat tire......so now her and I got new tailbags, patch kits, spare tube, toolkit, and frame mount air pump.  Thinking we'll upgrade to Conti Gatorskins or similar puncture resistant tires over the winter.

I road urban roads for a commute for years and used tough tires like gatorskins and they really did make a difference in the number of flats. However they dont eliminate the problem, especially from tube failures, installation failures and pinch flats. Now that I ride more for fun and avoid the urban roads I much prefer lightweight tires. The improvement in comfort and speed is noticeable. And I don't change tube much more often than I did before. 

So unless you have a real good reason to get puncture resistant tires, like picking up glass on a weekly basis or a regular commute, I would recommend just carrying the repair kit and enjoy the ride.

Craig

• Beer 1

27 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

I road urban roads for a commute for years and used tough tires like gatorskins and they really did make a difference in the number of flats. However they dont eliminate the problem, especially from tube failures, installation failures and pinch flats. Now that I ride more for fun and avoid the urban roads I much prefer lightweight tires. The improvement in comfort and speed is noticeable. And I don't change tube much more often than I did before. 

So unless you have a real good reason to get puncture resistant tires, like picking up glass on a weekly basis or a regular commute, I would recommend just carrying the repair kit and enjoy the ride.

Craig

Thanks for the insight, and we may just buy new tires in general.  The chinese beaters that our new bikes came with are wearing out quickly.  We've churned less than 400 miles so far on them and they're already showing some age ( a little sidewall splitting and cracking ).  But we both feel better  just knowing we can fix a tire/chain/adjustment on site now.

We stick to the paved bike path in our county, but she picked up a shard of glass a day or 2 prior then we found a few patches of broken glass again yesterday from local immatures.  

Our goal is strictly for cardio, conditioning, and weight loss...so a heavier tire would be fine since added resistance would enable our workouts a little more.

Going to try a drop bar Mountainbike (Salsa Fargo like). I had the bars and brake calipers off of a different. Picked up an inexpensive SRAM 10speed briffter and matching left brake lever.

Also upgraded the front disc to 180mm. Between my weight and the size and grip of the fat bike I needed a little more braking.

Hope to give the rig a try at West Branch this afternoon. 

20170922_220100-L.jpg

• Beer 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, motocat12 said:

I'll be the owner of one of these german toxys in 2 weeks. SSSA rear suspension, FWD 14speed internal rohloff hub, tail fairing trunk. I could part the extras and have a sweet lighter naked bike.

Thats awesome. 

I used to ride an Optima Baron that looked very similar though completely different drive configuration. My homemade tail fairing was not nearly as nice. 

I really regret selling that bike.

Mine looked like this

e09a8aa261fa9a5d4b5c503346f3c349.jpg

The speed you can get on flat pavement or slight down hills is amazing. 

I have been tempted by the many of those available but prefer fwd, compact, and same size tubes(there's a $900 carbon vk2 on bentrider in NM) I had an ugly/functional basement dope cooked lowracer before I moved and have messed around 3 years to not get a moving bottom bracket lowracer handling right. 80t chainring club.

21166108832_8678d037b6_b.jpg

Bent Adelphi terrace.jpg

Edited by motocat12

• 2 weeks later...

I did the Whiskey Island CX race and gave the bike a wash on Sunday. 

Trying to figure out a good winter schedule, so I can put it at least 30 miles/week.  That's probably going to mean 25 miles every saturday, a short fun ride on Sunday, and a lot of time on the spin bike while it's dark outside :(

• 1 month later...