motocat12

What did you do to your bicycle today?

motocat12    689

Serviced the fork for the first time in 2 years I've owned the 09 model bike. Had considered seeing if I could jam a 27.5 wheel in front but found a deal on $10 2.25 folding schwalbe nobby nics with better nobs and 1/2 in bigger diameter than my old tires and similar weight!

Casper    22,559

I looked at it earlier. Does that count for anything? 

• Upvote 1

Isaac's Papa    37,898

Pulled the fenders and wheels from the single speed and wiped everything clean. Spent a little time on my cantilever brakes and dialed them in. I may dive into the spokes after dinner. I had it overloaded with camping gear for ~100 miles a while back. Shit's a little janky. No more touring on that one. Beer runs only. 

motocat12    689

re-taped half a handlebar.

Have never been impressed with basic cork tape especially at it's price .

I got some stupid cheap rubber coated white grippy tape off ebay last year. On one side the rubber out stretched the silicone foam underneath and delaminated.

At the same time I got that I got some backup rolls of equally cheap red suede feeling tape.It's only half as grippy as the old white I'll miss that but still a little more grippy than cork.

redkow97    7,703

Friday was new bike day. 

Framed Minnesota 3.0

i can't really call installing pedals a modification, but I grabbed standard aluminum platforms with adjustable traction screws. 

Today I swapped the stock grips for a pair of Ergon GS-1 weight distributing grips. Holy shit. Huge difference. Hands used to go numb within 5-10 miles, if not a lot less. 

Today I rode 20 miles with minimal numbness, and I don't even have them adjusted properly yet. I think they're angled a tad high. 

:-)

• Upvote 1

motocat12    689

Go to hell press fit nozzles! (loctite bottle style) anyone else have trouble with them too? Have had blue loctite in my eye before.

I was trying to lube the balls on my nutted axle non-drive rear hub with Phil's oil. I squeezed his bottle and the nipple busted out gushing oil inside the hub, out side the hub, spokes, rim brake track, rubber tire, basement floor, over my hands. The whole area is slippery now.

Isaac's Papa    37,898

Tinkered on the SixTen for a bit. New brake pads and seatpost. 

Ordered new wrap and housing for the Trek. 

redkow97    7,703

I put in 9 miles on the spinbike. Pulled into the garage without hitting my bicycle. That's all I've got. 

Trying to do  a group ride near Nelson ledges 3/4/17. 30 mile all-weather. 

• Upvote 1

Isaac's Papa    37,898
1 hour ago, redkow97 said:

I put in 9 miles on the spinbike. Pulled into the garage without hitting my bicycle. That's all I've got. 

Trying to do  a group ride near Nelson ledges 3/4/17. 30 mile all-weather. 

RoadApple Roubaix? I'll be there with Lyns and @blue03636

• Upvote 1

RVTPilot    6,062

Late to the party here. Bought a mag indoor trainer last Sunday and have been putting several  miles a day on it. Time to get my plump ass in shape.

• Upvote 1

CBBaron    446
12 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

That has been a fun ride in the past. The first year was pretty epic with 6" of snow on most of the back roads. I and most of the participants road a fatbike but there were a surprising number of cyclocross bikes that year. It was really impressive watching them keep the bike upright in the conditions.

Probably not going to make it this year. The cast comes off just a few days before and between that and holidays I am way out of shape. 

I do intend to train for Funk Bottoms in June.

Recently I changed the handlebar tape and brake pads on the Warbird and got a second disc for the spare wheels so I can switch between gravel tires and slicks with a simple wheel change.

I bought a trainer off of a friend and bought the thru axle adaptor so I can start using it once the cast is off.

redkow97    7,703
On 2/9/2017 at 10:47 PM, Isaac's Papa said:

Yes. What distance are you planning?

Isaac's Papa    37,898
2 hours ago, redkow97 said:

Yes. What distance are you planning?

Whichever is the biggest. Lyns is allowed to use this as a recorded race time and get reimbursed her fees. So, can't quite let my wife 1-up me and she's a fucking asshole that can't just go out and have a nice, quiet ride. No. She has to "Go big or go home!", like a cross-fitter from Hell. 

So, yeah... I think I'm doing the forty. 

redkow97    7,703

Furthest I've ridden any bike (as an adult) is 21 miles...

we'll see how the 30 miles feels and then go from there. 

• Upvote 1

blue03636    4,091
7 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Whichever is the biggest. Lyns is allowed to use this as a recorded race time and get reimbursed her fees. So, can't quite let my wife 1-up me and she's a fucking asshole that can't just go out and have a nice, quiet ride. No. She has to "Go big or go home!", like a cross-fitter from Hell. 

So, yeah... I think I'm doing the forty. 

This is all true

Isaac's Papa    37,898

The Trek is getting new wrap and a housing update. It's a 2009 and I have the original housings still installed. I doubt they have 3k miles on them but new black saddle means new black everything. I don't miss the white. I mean, I miss the white but not the hassle of keeping it clean. Which I didn't. Which means I'm not very "pro". Boo! 

A bonus picture of my SixTen, because she's hot as fuck. 

IMG_5533.JPG

image.jpg

redkow97    7,703

22 road miles this afternoon. 

Put up hooks to hang the bike above my work bench. No more almost hitting it with the car. 

Ehats the entry fee for roadapple? I was just going to show up...

• Upvote 1

Isaac's Papa    37,898

Helped my MIL with her fit. She was all sorts of janky and getting some pain. 

I cut down the steerer tube on the Trek for maximum performance. I'm 23.5mm more aero. 

IMG_5539.JPG

motocat12    689

Watch that jagwire brake housing, it's unidirectional like shifter housing not spiral wound #thankskevlar:rolleyes: (not mine(but have a set in the box)

spent_brake_cable_housings_zpsc4iqzwg9.j