How far would you commute?

Tpoppa

My commute is 16 miles each way 5 days a week, but last week my commute was 29 hours to Seattle due to snow in Chicago. My sympathy is to those that travel for work on a regular basis. Driving 30 miles each way 3 days a week would not be a hardship for me!

Well Merry Christmas to me. They finally sold our office and will be moving in the next 3 months about 10 miles north which means ill be saving 100 miles a week on my commute!

That's a great Christmas gift. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working from home for 16 years, so I guess that is my ultimate preference. For the right job that makes you happy, most any commute would be worthwhile within reason. Of course things to think about like gas money spent, wear and tear on your vehicle, and ultimately "your sanity" for making such a long commute in all kinds of weather conditions. 

3 hours ago, Pokey said:

I've been working from home for 16 years, so I guess that is my ultimate preference. For the right job that makes you happy, most any commute would be worthwhile within reason. Of course things to think about like gas money spent, wear and tear on your vehicle, and ultimately "your sanity" for making such a long commute in all kinds of weather conditions. 

I hate people, especially when they're driving. So it's an easy decision for me. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

If I formally get an offer I'll likely take it.  I've had 5 interviews with this company...yes 5.

I had 5 in one day for my current job. I was exhausted afterwards. 1 with HR. 1 Technical. 1 With a Team Lead. 1 With a Manager. 1 With the Senior Manager.

That's not including the initial phone interview.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

If I formally get an offer I'll likely take it.  I've had 5 interviews with this company...yes 5.

Last Spring when I was looking for a new job I had one that did this to me. Would have loved to work for them but on the 5th one they low balled me on the offer when I gave them the specific number it would take to get me to leave the job I was at. On top of that the commute was even worse than what I was at so it was an easy hard pass.

2 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I had 5 in one day for my current job. I was exhausted afterwards. 1 with HR. 1 Technical. 1 With a Team Lead. 1 With a Manager. 1 With the Senior Manager.

That's not including the initial phone interview.

Also last spring had a company do that to me and then I got beat out by someone with more residential construction experience than I do

3 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

Last Spring when I was looking for a new job I had one that did this to me. Would have loved to work for them but on the 5th one they low balled me on the offer when I gave them the specific number it would take to get me to leave the job I was at. On top of that the commute was even worse than what I was at so it was an easy hard pass.

Also last spring had a company do that to me and then I got beat out by someone with more residential construction experience than I do

Kicker was the last interview of the day told me I was applying for a position to support the actual software the company sells, not support it's internal network infrastructure. Not what I was expecting or wanted, but I wasn't even out of college yet so I played along. Got the offer and accepted before graduation. Worked in that position for about 3 years. Then finally moved to a part of the company where I can actually use the education I pay for every fucking month lol. 

I could have continued to work with our software and gotten hired somewhere else for a lot more money but 1 I didnt want to be pigeon holed into just working with 1 software suite and 2 I felt like I wasted tens of thousands of dollars on going to school when I could have done that with a highschool diploma lol,

Job title was "Tech Support". I shoulda known better knowing it's a software company.

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Upvote 1