OH - New/amended CCW law for workplaces that ban guns

ScubaCinci

Interesting  If you conceal carry in OH, your employer cannot fire you for leaving you gun in the car on company property where they are explicitly prohibited  I'll have to see what the law is in KY on that  no firearms allowed on my work site but I've often wanted to just leave it locked in the car  

http://www.businessinsider.com/ohio-gun-owners-more-lgbt-employees-civil-rights-2016-12

Edited by ScubaCinci
  • Upvote 2

I've always been wary of leaving a firearm in my vehicle, locked or not.  Too many break-ins these days.

I suppose if the lot is secure and only accessible to employees, I'd consider it.

Biggest issue I see is that it negates any possibility of using your weapon in the event of a workplace shooting incident.

Where I work the lots aren't "secure" but monitored via video and patrolled, plus the site is somewhat secluded from public areas. We haven't had a break in for years.

its not so much for having it at work, it's for the places I may go before, after or during lunch. 

It's hard to avoid NOT leaving it in the car these days with so many places prohibiting them on the premises. Sure, you could probably carry it in without anyone knowing but run the risk of criminal trespassing or even a felony depending on the establishment. Gun safes in the car are good options. 

To my knowledge, the worst a "posted" establishment can do is ask you to leave, or call the Sheriff's Dept. to ask you to leave.  Work is a different situation, as are P.D. buildings, federal buildings and such.

And for what it's worth, even though CCW is legal in bars, I don't.  Alcohol + guns...not a good mix in my head.

Technically, if they want to, they can charge you with criminal trespassing but I agree they would typically just tell you to leave as long as you aren't being a dick and they aren't die hard anti-gun tree huggers. I agree about the bar thing...nothing good down that road 

Wandering Grandpa is right. In a store or restaurant it is civil trespass. They have to sue you and prove you damaged them. However, as soon as they ask you to leave you leave, otherwise that becomes criminal treapass. And the gun is sort of irrelevant.. you were asked to leave.

Now, on a state cpz like a government office, that is instant criminal.

I am happy as shit about this. Pisses me off I cant store my gun in my car at work which is a school. And it really sucks when i am leaving from work on a bike trip.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Tonik said:

"...I am happy as shit about this. Pisses me off I cant store my gun in my car at work which is a school. And it really sucks when i am leaving from work on a bike trip..."

Haven't had a chance yet to study it.  But the recent (like in the last week or so) law that The Gov signed, that may have changed all that.  Don't have any links to it yet, but I'll look on handgunlaw.com later, and tell your mom what I found next time I pick her up.

I take it you've never lived on the "shady side" of the law?  Just do it, keep it to yourself and go on?  Pack the thing secured and un-loaded? 

29 minutes ago, Wandering Soul said:

Haven't had a chance yet to study it.  But the recent (like in the last week or so) law that The Gov signed, that may have changed all that.  Don't have any links to it yet, but I'll look on handgunlaw.com later, and tell your mom what I found next time I pick her up.

I take it you've never lived on the "shady side" of the law?  Just do it, keep it to yourself and go on?  Pack the thing secured and un-loaded? 

Yea, that's why I am happy as shit about it.  It did change it, we can leave it in our cars as long as the car is locked.  Not signed yet, just passed the house and senate. He will sign it I am sure.  There is a link to the bill as passed in this article:  https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/pro-gun-rights-legislation-passes-ohio-general-assembly-way-governors-desk-update-vote-tallies

Shady side of the law in prior to this was a bit too much of a gamble.  Can't work for a school if you break that type of law...insta fired and banned for life.  Once or twice a year they sweep the halls with dogs and they have swept the students lots with the dogs.  Not taking the chance that they would the employee lot.

No way my mom is hanging with you, she hates guns and bikes.  Shame though, she is hot for 79.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am in big favor of the new law.  My company has a very secure parking area,  but company policy prevents having a weapon in your car while parked on company grounds.  there is a nice indoor range about two miles from my work,  so this has always been a pain in the butt.

So i got into a heated discussion with another pro gun guy that doesn't like the new law. His concern is the loss of liberty to private employers who he feels should be allowed to set these policies for their own property. i see his point,  just disagree that individuals lose rights over their own property (their car) because it's parked at work.  interested to know what others think. ......

19 minutes ago, kiggy74 said:

I too am in big favor of the new law.  My company has a very secure parking area,  but company policy prevents having a weapon in your car while parked on company grounds.  there is a nice indoor range about two miles from my work,  so this has always been a pain in the butt.

So i got into a heated discussion with another pro gun guy that doesn't like the new law. His concern is the loss of liberty to private employers who he feels should be allowed to set these policies for their own property. i see his point,  just disagree that individuals lose rights over their own property (their car) because it's parked at work.  interested to know what others think. ......

IMHO, I think the individual liberty thing is a wash either way - both parties have justifiable arguments (right of the business owner vs. right of the employee), so I think it's a reasonable compromise.  Employer can say don't bring it inside (yet leave the employee vulnerable to attack between the building and their car), but at least the employee regains their constitutional right when they're back in their property.

My employer's policy explicitly says we're not allowed to carry a weapon on their property except when explicitly permitted by law.  In less than 90 days, SB199 will allow me to legally protect myself from a violent attack from a miscreant and an employment attack from HR for doing so.

Edited by smccrory
Grammarrrr

My company in the last 5 years:

You cant have it in your car. (Company wide message.)

You can have it in your car. (Somewhere along the lines this was changed and the employee manuals reflected this. This just happened, no one was told)

You cant have it in your car. (Again, no one told us this was revoked, some of my co-workers just happened to re-read the policies and found this was again, taken away.)

Hope it passes, I would like the option to keep it in my car if I happen to go somewhere before, during, or after work.

Edited by TimTheAzn

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, owndjoo said:

I wish this would apply to company vehicles.  I drive a company car for work all over the state and they ban any firearms being carried in the vehicle....

Want to setup a fake mugging that could have been prevented if you had your legal firearm on you so you have some ammo so to speak to get that policy changed?

On 1/24/2017 at 4:22 PM, TimTheAzn said:

Want to setup a fake mugging that could have been prevented if you had your legal firearm on you so you have some ammo so to speak to get that policy changed?

LOL, I doubt Nationwide would care.  We aren't even allowed to take clients to anything dealing with firearms... I'm sure they don't want any liability, but with these kinds of new laws allowing people to sue those that infringe on their 2A rights.....

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 3:43 PM, owndjoo said:

I wish this would apply to company vehicles.  I drive a company car for work all over the state and they ban any firearms being carried in the vehicle....

Our company doesn't have a policy on CCW and the owner said he doesn't mind if we carry at work or in the company car, but to use discretion.  If I go to a customer site which includes schools and colleges, I have always locked it in the car.  At the office it is on my person or in my backpack under my desk for easy access.  I was unaware that leaving your gun in a car on school property was illegal.  Our instructor told us that it is legal to have your weapon on your person while on school property as long as you don't exit the vehicle, like if you were picking up your kid.  Well at least the new law will make it official.  As far as a bar goes, you better be drinking water because if you are caught with a drink and a CCW you are done!

• Upvote 1

On 1/27/2017 at 4:12 PM, Wolfman1 said:

As far as a bar goes, you better be drinking water because if you are caught with a drink and a CCW you are done!

I drink at the bar and have a ccw. I just dont actually carry or have it in my car when I go out to the bar.

59 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I drink at the bar and have a ccw. I just dont actually carry or have it in my car when I go out to the bar.

This is why I hate the Initialism CCW because everyone uses it to refer to the things they carry and their permit to do so. The correct initialism for you permit or license should be CHL (concealed handgun license) and when referring to what you carrying use CCW (concealed carry weapon)or (carrying concealed weapon) but you could also use that  to describe a knife, brass knuckles or even your ninja moves.  This irritates me on the same level as calling a magazine a clip.

Edited by 2talltim

15 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

This is why I hate the Initialism CCW because everyone uses it to refer to the things they carry and their permit to do so. The correct Initialism for you permit or license should be CHL (concealed handgun license) and when referring to what you carrying use CCW (concealed carry weapon)or (carrying concealed weapon) but you could also use that Initialism to describe a knife, brass knuckles or even your ninja moves.  This irritates me on the same level as calling a magazine a clip.

I use typically use the term CHL when taking about the license but I knew this made you mad so I said CCW instead ?, now if you'll excuse me, I have some glock clips to load.

Edited by 2talltim
fixed quote

2 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I use typically use the term CHL when taking about the license but I knew this made you mad so I said CCW instead ?, now if you'll excuse me, I have some glock clips to load.

I wasn't saying it to just you, it was more of public service announcement. A lot of folk do it and don't know the difference.

On 12/10/2016 at 9:22 AM, Bubba said:

I've always been wary of leaving a firearm in my vehicle, locked or not.  Too many break-ins these days.

I suppose if the lot is secure and only accessible to employees, I'd consider it.

Biggest issue I see is that it negates any possibility of using your weapon in the event of a workplace shooting incident.

I'm in the same boat.   Makes me nervous.  I bought one of those little Bulldog lockable cases that you anchor around something solid with a cable.  It's not great but I don't have any lockable compartments in either of my beaters.  If the car gets jacked then I'm just plain SOL.  I drive old beaters so I'm guessing that there are more attractive options in the parking lot unless somebody is looking for parts.