Ohio Riders Unofficial Mid-Ohio Track Day - August 21, 2017

TimTheAzn

Unofficial Mid-Ohio Track Day what day works for You?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Unofficial Mid-Ohio Track Day what day works for You?

• May 14(Sun)
    • May 15(Mon)
    • June 5(Mon)
    • Jun19(Mon)
    • July 10(Mon)
    • Aug 21(Mon)

This poll is closed to new votes

Made it home. Had an awesome weekend even though I didnt set foot on a track. Started at Pitt Race and hopefully got  @TRMN8TR hooked on that liter bike life. Ended Monday at Mid-Ohio. Got to watch some guys go through their first track day, and got to watch others get their first bumps to faster groups. Great riding all around. 

I want to thank everyone for coming out to Mid-Ohio. It was great seeing everybody. I hope that the new guys will/ have already gotten hooked. I look forward to mixing it up with the others that got bumped.

Maybe we can make this Ohio Riders Unofficial Track Day a "thing"!

Want to send out a special thanks to @Jester_ for letting me stay in his new awesome new toy hauler all weekend. It was weird being in AC and watching Ninja Warrior in the paddock during a track day weekend, but I think I could get used to that.

Now to figure out what to eat for dinner.

• Beer 2

What an awesome time, even with my crash at the end, still had a great time.  Thank you @Tonik for sharing the experience with me for our first track days together.  Thanks to @TimTheAzn for helping show the ropes.  

Here is the video for those interested: 

Looks like the K&N Oil Filter failed and shot oil everywhere --- 

2 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

What an awesome time, even with my crash at the end, still had a great time.  Thank you @Tonik for sharing the experience with me for our first track days together.  Thanks to @TimTheAzn for helping show the ropes.  

Good job keeping it upright, that must has been scary as hell. 

The oil shot out front first, hit your exhaust and caused all the smoke. There was nothing between the filter and your front tire except for your exhaust so I'm assuming some oil hit the front tire, then splattered all over your rear tire too. Pretty much the worst case scenario with a filter failure... The good thing is it didn't fail 5 seconds earlier when you were doing 110 through the kink. That would have been very very bad. 

18 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

Wow, that looks awful, you did a hell of a job keeping that thing upright until you were in the beach at a reasonable speed.  Pretty sketchy.  Rough end to an overall good day.  I hope you get it filled back up with oil and new (non K&N) filter and get it back on the track.

Edited by jacobhawkins

11 hours ago, DerekClouser said:

Man I would have been shitting my pants! I'd say that ended about as good as it possibly could have... 

It was good meeting you guys! Looking forward to doing it again on Labor Day

Nice job @DerekClouser on keeping it upright for as long as you did.

I stopped by and chatted with a few of you, though I'm not sure how many realized who I was since I have a tendency to not introduce myself and then ghost. :)

Always nice running into @TimTheAzn, and I hadn't seen @Jester_ is awhile, since he actually runs more tracks than just MidOhio :lol:

So lets talk about what happened after this happened.

They red flagged the whole course.  I know what I think that means based upon my limited training that morning. Someone tell me what you are supposed to do with a red flag.

Just now, Tonik said:

They red flagged the whole course.  I know what I think that means based upon my limited training that morning. Someone tell me what you are supposed to do with a red flag.

Get off the track ASAP, not blow passed the pit and get another hot lap in like someone did. :lol: 

9 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

Get off the track ASAP, not blow passed the pit and get another hot lap in like someone did. :lol: 

At least your extra lap guy wasn't the one dumping oil. 

At Nelson's on Sunday, someone that was black flagged decided to do another 1 1/2 laps dumping oil around the track. Took 1 hour 40 minutes to clean the track. I and A lost 1 session, N lost 2 sessions.

I still wonder if the guy either didn't see the flag or just ignored it. Guessing he finally stopped when the engine blew up. 

That's 2 failures from K&N filters in the last couple months that I know of, and according to the google this has been an ongoing issue.   I'll never run them on my bikes, but the nut at the end does look handy when it's too tight for a strap wrench between the headers/filter.

Good work on saving it @DerekClouser.  Scary fast place to get the wobbles, but better than it happening mid corner. 

12 hours ago, Tonik said:

No passing, proceed to pit lane at a reasonable speed. Maintain lines unless you have to alter them for liquids/debris. 

If they are pointing the (black) flag at you specifically, get off the track ASAP because you are probably spilling all kinds of crap all over the place. 

Edited by what
fixed flag error
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jacobhawkins said:

Oh yeah, that's an I sticker!  Happy for the bump, can't wait until next time! 

20170821_135503.jpg

Nice, I kept asking if they had got you the sticker and Mark said he had Rob take it to you. You look good out there just stay away from the curbing, it's slick. :)

• Upvote 1