Ohio Riders Unofficial Mid-Ohio Track Day - August 21, 2017

TimTheAzn

Unofficial Mid-Ohio Track Day what day works for You?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Unofficial Mid-Ohio Track Day what day works for You?

• May 14(Sun)
    • May 15(Mon)
    • June 5(Mon)
    • Jun19(Mon)
    • July 10(Mon)
    • Aug 21(Mon)

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, tall_tracy said:

By "show me the ropes" do you mean showing you how to pose on a Ducati in front of the garages??? 

Hey, it did the trick. Have someone who's interested. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

I'd bump down but I dont like Mid-Ohio's novice group structure. I'll do what I can.

57 minutes ago, durk said:

Derek your coach will take good care of you. I went there last week solo and had a great time. The first time on the track they have you ride far left and pit in. Then they take you far right and on the 3rd lap they show you race line. My coach was a cool guy and after mentioning I found myself wanting to go faster, he definitely picked up the pace on the 2nd session. 

9 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

Novice is very structured. The ropes will be shown by the coaches. No one else. 

I guess I didn't explain what I was thinking.... I'm certainly going to learn from the rider coaches while on the track, but I meant more for everything else along the way.  Such as bike prep, setup, where to go, when to go etc. 

2 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

I guess I didn't explain what I was thinking.... I'm certainly going to learn from the rider coaches while on the track, but I meant more for everything else along the way.  Such as bike prep, setup, where to go, when to go etc. 

Tim may need some time to relax after going to school last Friday. :lol:

5 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

Set your bike as you would for a fast group ride and put painters tape over lights and remove mirrors. 

Be at track at 7am. Lower paddock by garages. Follow the lines to registration and tech. 

You will be completely directed from there. 

• Upvote 2

Track days aren't as stressful as people think. Once you know the routine it's show up, talk to the nice registration ladies for your lunch bracelet, unload your crap, take bike + all gear to tech, go to rider's meeting at 8, break into groups after that and enjoy your day. 

Tech they want to see that your bike has good brake pads, throttle closes on its own, any glass/clear plastic/lights are taped or removed/license plate bolts taped or plate + bolts removed/ all gear is in good shape and fits well/ chain slack is correct/tires have tread left/ etc etc. 

Coolant isn't an issue really in novice but in Intermediate or above you have to run water or water wetter. Not a bad idea to do the swap anyway though, as they say, any liquids on the track shorten everyone's day if its slick and requires a cleanup crew. 

Edited by what

39 minutes ago, what said:

Track days aren't as stressful as people think. Once you know the routine it's show up, talk to the nice registration ladies for your lunch bracelet, unload your crap, take bike + all gear to tech, go to rider's meeting at 8, break into groups after that and enjoy your day. 

Tech they want to see that your bike has good brake pads, throttle closes on its own, any glass/clear plastic/lights are taped or removed/license plate bolts taped or plate + bolts removed/ all gear is in good shape and fits well/ chain slack is correct/tires have tread left/ etc etc. 

Coolant isn't an issue really in novice but in Intermediate or above you have to run water or water wetter. Not a bad idea to do the swap anyway though, as they say, any liquids on the track shorten everyone's day if its slick and requires a cleanup crew. 

Already planned on switching out to water wetter...   

Sounds like I've got it all figured out... 

7 minutes ago, Trackbikez said:

Don't forget your back protectors...

Don't think they require them for novice. I know I didn't have one and was never asked about it. 

1 minute ago, durk said:

Don't think they require them for novice. I know I didn't have one and was never asked about it. 

I want to prepare to do everything to be ready for intermediate or advanced... (not that I'm skilled enough for that), but I want to learn the full process from the start.  Primarily in case I can get bumped up by the end of the day or something. 

11 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

I want to prepare to do everything to be ready for intermediate or advanced... (not that I'm skilled enough for that), but I want to learn the full process from the start.  Primarily in case I can get bumped up by the end of the day or something. 

Then bring a back protector :o 

And if you're feeling real frisky, some tire warmers. 

Edited by what

So is this considered a "back protector"

forcefield_pro_lite_k_back_insert_for_al

Or does it have to be like this

forcefield_back_protector_pro_kevlar_l2_

Considering doing this track day if the weather holds and its not booked. I guess my insert is good enough for novice but was curious on the requirements.

Does Mid-Ohio cap Novice? Will there likely be a problem reserving a week before?

I'm guessing a DRZ400SM won't be much of a problem in novice, just limit my speeds and accelerations on the straighter portions. At this point a structured lesson sounds good and is what I would want out of a track day. 

1 hour ago, DerekClouser said:

Primarily in case I can get bumped up by the end of the day or something

Don't if you don't keep it inside over winter. It's your streetbike and winter is coming. You're highly unlikely to get moved to I on your very first track day there. N is a start to finish program with steps for each session of the day. If I is your goal you would ask for a one on one evaluation the last session of the day and your coach would let you know if signing up in I next time is appropriate.  If your budget and time allows for more days this season then sure go to water. If not then don't. 

23 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

So is this considered a "back protector"

forcefield_pro_lite_k_back_insert_for_al

Or does it have to be like this

forcefield_back_protector_pro_kevlar_l2_

Considering doing this track day if the weather holds and its not booked. I guess my insert is good enough for novice but was curious on the requirements.

Does Mid-Ohio cap Novice? Will there likely be a problem reserving a week before?

I'm guessing a DRZ400SM won't be much of a problem in novice, just limit my speeds and accelerations on the straighter portions. At this point a structured lesson sounds good and is what I would want out of a track day. 

Yes those are both approved back protectors. 

Yes Novice is capped. 

Yes the DRZ is fine for Novice. 

Just now, MidgetTodd said:

Don't if you don't keep it inside over winter. It's your streetbike and winter is coming. You're highly unlikely to get moved to I on your very first track day there. N is a start to finish program with steps for each session of the day. If I is your goal you would ask for a one on one evaluation the last session of the day and your coach would let you know if signing up in I next time is appropriate.  If your budget and time allows for more days this season then sure go to water. If not then don't. 

Does Mid-O require anything to be safety wired for int?

1 hour ago, DerekClouser said:

Does Mid-O require anything to be safety wired for int?

You're going to want to put a dab of RTV on the oil cap, filter, and drain plug if you're not going to wire them.  That'll pass for I.

Personally, I'd put a dab on the front caliper bolts and pad pin on each side too, but that's just me.

Also, duct tape your wheel weights down to the rim.

And just so it's all here 

http://www.midohio.com/mid-ohio-courses/51-uncategorised/403-requirements

Motorcycles: Performance Track Riding

Bike Preparation

• All bikes MUST pass technical inspection prior to being permitted on to the track. It is the sole responsibility of the rider to ensure their bike meets these requirements. If a bike fails tech inspection, it may be presented for re-inspection at any time. If a bike is involved in a crash it must be re-inspected prior to being permitted on to the track. No refunds will be made for bikes, which fail to pass tech inspection.
  • All bikes must be prepared to endure high speeds on track. All parts must be fastened securely and adjusted correctly.
  • All fuel, coolant, hydraulic and lubrication systems must be fluid tight (see below for additional information for Advanced and Intermediate bikes).
  • Tires must be in good condition, without signs of excessive wear. Tire valves must have caps. Wheel weights must be taped.
  • Brakes must be in good working order with a minimum of 1.5mm of pad remaining. Discs must not be excessively worn or loose.
  • All bikes must have a functioning, well-marked engine cut-off switch on the handlebar near the right hand grip.
  • Throttles must operate smoothly and be self-closing.
  • Any glass or plastic lenses must be taped completely. Mirrors and turn indicators are permitted in the NOVICE GROUP ONLY. All others must be removed.
  • Center stands are NOT permitted in the ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUPS and we recommend removing them for the NOVICE GROUP.
  • ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUP bikes must use a non-ethylene glycol coolant. Water and/or water wetter, or propylene glycol solutions such as Evans, Engine Ice, Liquid Performance, or 7th gear, are permitted.
  • ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUP bikes must have oil drain plugs, oil filler caps, and oil filters secured. We recommend safety wire, but will accept application of RTV silicone to the fitting.
  • It is recommended that any filler/drain for any fluid system be secured. Fluid leaks on the track shorten everyone’s day.
  • License plates must have bolts taped or be removed.

Rider Gear Requirements

• All riders must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver's license.
  • All riders must wear a damage-free full-face helmet with a properly fitted face shield. DOT certification is a minimum requirement; SNELL, ECE, or other enhanced certification is recommended. Modular (flip-up) helmets are permitted in NOVICE GROUP only.
  • All riders must wear full-finger gauntlet style gloves.
  • All riders must wear sturdy over the ankle boots.
  • All riders must wear one or two-piece suits with substantial reinforcement and padding in critical areas (knees, elbows, shoulders, and back at a minimum.)
  • ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUP riders must wear one or two piece leather suits designed for motorcycle use. Two-piece leathers must provide substantial attachment between jacket and pants.
  • NOVICE GROUP riders must wear one or two piece leather or textile suits. It is recommended that two-piece suits provide attachment between jacket and pants.
  • ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUP riders MUST wear a back protector designed for motorcycle competition in lieu of, or in addition to, the standard back padding in their suit.
Edited by Trackbikez

Unless you have a race license or proof of I or A in another org they want you in N first time. I don't know how strictly they check/adhere to that though. It's good practice though. There's a lot of very fast people in I that are counting on everyone else to be on the ball

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Correct me if I am wrong.  There is no way Derek will make an I run his first day out. Not saying he isn't more than capable, saying :rulez:

I want to get everything I can out of the first novice track day.  I want a coach to help me improve BP.  I don't want to bump to Intermediate on my first day.  However, at the last session, I may request a rider coach to evaluate me so I can possibly bump to I for the next track day.   I just want the bike to be fully prepped.