Random Track Talk

TimTheAzn

Round 1 was this past weekend, here are the F3 Expert races and F3 Heavyweight (195lb+)

Went alright in both F3 races, though getting stuck behind the Ohvale took me out of the running for top 5's both races. F3 Heavyweight went better, 2nd race would have likely been a 1st had I not gotten stuck in neutral shifting to 2nd at the start. Next time.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, durk said:

Say what now

A common issue on the triumph daytona's is the charging harness melting at the connectors because of the increased resistance of those shitty quick disconnects. I've had the hardware fail before on my other 675 but it never caught fire.

This time I came in from coaching the first session of novice on sunday morning and was talking to a student and catch what looked like smoke out of the corner of my eye. I look down and there are flames coming out from under my bodywork. I put it on the kickstand (thank god this bike has one) and started trying to rip my helmet off while in my mind I was already prepared to watch my bike burn to the ground. Got the fire stopped without huge damage.

18 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

A common issue on the triumph daytona's is the charging harness melting at the connectors because of the increased resistance of those shitty quick disconnects. I've had the hardware fail before on my other 675 but it never caught fire.

This time I came in from coaching the first session of novice on sunday morning and was talking to a student and catch what looked like smoke out of the corner of my eye. I look down and there are flames coming out from under my bodywork. I put it on the kickstand (thank god this bike has one) and started trying to rip my helmet off while in my mind I was already prepared to watch my bike burn to the ground. Got the fire stopped without huge damage.

Yeah that could have been real bad. I noticed you start to panic while Big Jim and I were talking.  Glad you were able to get it out without a total loss. 

Edited by ksands22
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ksands22 said:

Yeah that could have been real bad. I noticed you start to panic while Big Jim and I were talking.  Glad you were able to get it out without a total loss. 

Yea man, I was wanting to work with you too but my day was cut very short.

3DDF5FE0-E3B4-4C6F-9847-00F8327F851A.jpeg

D9E41691-9DAD-4EEA-85F4-7450787B2E73.jpeg

22E7A737-D783-4A90-92C6-E1619E1A5431.jpeg

8A436D39-F26C-48E3-89CF-18B41808220F.jpeg

On 4/20/2021 at 4:26 PM, RymerC said:

Full Throttle Adrenaline Park in Cincy. I've never been. Didn't one of the indoor? karting places in columbus shut down recently?

Holy shit, that looks fun! I bet the track floor is slick.... This is Cincy?

On 5/21/2021 at 9:15 AM, TimTheAzn said:

Yea man, I was wanting to work with you too but my day was cut very short.

I got the bump in the morning to I. Hopefully we can work together the next time you are CR for I. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2021 at 11:46 AM, TimTheAzn said:

That is a common issue in the VFR world, heck Honda world too.  The charging system sucks, so the typical fix is to ditch the OEM R/R and goto a Shindengen SH847 or FH020 from Roadstercycle http://roadstercycle.com/

Then wire it direct to the battery. Also ... eliminate the connector R/R to the stator and solder the wires together. 

Cheers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mello dude said:

That is a common issue in the VFR world, heck Honda world too.  The charging system sucks, so the typical fix is to ditch the OEM R/R and goto a Shindengen SH847 or FH020 from Roadstercycle http://roadstercycle.com/

Then wire it direct to the battery. Also ... eliminate the connector R/R to the stator and solder the wires together. 

Cheers 

I went with the SH847 and got it from Jack at roadstercycle. So there are still 2 quick connectors in my charging harness, the ones that are directly off the stator that plug into the harness. All of the quick connectors coming off the r/r are now soldered.

Will finish the install after work today. I'm now debating soldering the ones right off the stator, but there are 2 plugs off the stator. A 3 wire plug (I know where that goes) and another smaller one. Idk what that one is. So I was hesitant to cut those quick connectors off.

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I went with the SH847 and got it from Jack at roadstercycle. So there are still 2 quick connectors in my charging harness, the ones that are directly off the stator that plug into the harness. All of the quick connectors coming off the r/r are now soldered.

Will finish the install after work today. I'm now debating soldering the ones right off the stator, but there are 2 plugs off the stator. A 3 wire plug (I know where that goes) and another smaller one. Idk what that one is. So I was hesitant to cut those quick connectors off.

I got a used series SH866AA off a zx14 cheap. Not many people know it's a series one too.

The smaller one is usually for monitoring no?(flywheel position sensor wires )

Edited by motocat12

15 hours ago, motocat12 said:

I got a used series SH866AA off a zx14 cheap. Not many people know it's a series one too.

The smaller one is usually for monitoring no?(flywheel position sensor wires )

Ah yea thats probably for the crank position sensor. Good call.

Spent the weekend at NCM, had a good time. There were a few knuckleheads in A group though unaccustomed to signaling pit-in and generally swoopy/slow. I pretty much spent the day working on brake markers and tip-in points rather than pushing pace. I also found out I need to go down another spring weight in the front, seems I lost too much weight over the winter.

TDW_NCM-20210522120422-01808-(ZF-8095-48783-1-001).jpg

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/27/2021 at 10:58 AM, what said:

Spent the weekend at NCM, had a good time. There were a few knuckleheads in A group though unaccustomed to signaling pit-in and generally swoopy/slow. I pretty much spent the day working on brake markers and tip-in points rather than pushing pace. I also found out I need to go down another spring weight in the front, seems I lost too much weight over the winter.

It's amazing how even some A group riders still do shitty with signaling to pit in. I signal early. :dunno: