Random Track Talk

TimTheAzn

So if Mid Ohio's surface sucks what are some better tracks for a first time track rider? I've been looking at Putnam Park Gingerman, and Grattan. I have no issues with tech requirements. Thanks. 

14 hours ago, CBR doc said:

So if Mid Ohio's surface sucks what are some better tracks for a first time track rider? I've been looking at Putnam Park Gingerman, and Grattan. I have no issues with tech requirements. Thanks. 

NCM is fantastic. A lot of people would likely recommend Pittrace as well, I havent been on the big track there though so I can't comment yet. This year hopefully.

13 hours ago, what said:

NCM is fantastic. A lot of people would likely recommend Pittrace as well, I havent been on the big track there though so I can't comment yet. This year hopefully.

I'm going to Pittrace this Saturday for my first time.  Do they have concessions on site or do I need to bring all my food in that day?

8 minutes ago, Sellius said:

Do they have concessions on site or do I need to bring all my food in that day?

Never mind, I just got an email from them:

• Concessions: will be open.

8 hours ago, Sellius said:

I'm going to Pittrace this Saturday for my first time.  Do they have concessions on site or do I need to bring all my food in that day?

Good luck, and let us know how it went. 

On 4/21/2021 at 7:17 PM, CBR doc said:

Not grattan. Go to Nelsons or Pitt Race. Nelsons is easier to learn/ride. Both have good pavement.

8 hours ago, Sellius said:

Yup, its a bbq place local to Pitt Race thats actually pretty darn good. They have a permanent concessions trailer out in the paddock. They serve breakfast and lunch. Usually gone at dinner time though. There is a sandwitch shop down the road less than 5 min called Al's Corner. Nice little spot with some sammiches and hot food. There other options slightly further away.

See you there.

57 minutes ago, ksands22 said:

PITT Race did not disappoint. Top notch facility and track. 

Tim it was good meeting you in person. 

Nice to meet you as well. Glad you had a good time, look forward to seeing you out there in the future.

1 hour ago, ksands22 said:

PITT Race did not disappoint. Top notch facility and track. 

Tim it was good meeting you in person. 

I'll second both of what ksands says......PittRace was great, and I got to meet Tim in person too!

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, TMC Customs said:

Just tried to sign up with N2 for the Nelson Ledges track day on 6/4 and it’s already full. That must be a popular place. I guess I am used to my local track never filling up (Mid-O).  

I'm guessing that N2 rents the track, and much like the groups that rent mid ohio, they run regardless of how many people show up. That's a lot more appealing than the mid ohio school that can and will cancel an event the day before. 6/4 isn't even a weekend day!

Has anyone been through the N2 Advanced Training Program and have any thoughts about it?  Did you go from there to more training?  Notice your riding improve as a result of the program?

19 hours ago, TMC Customs said:

Just tried to sign up with N2 for the Nelson Ledges track day on 6/4 and it’s already full. That must be a popular place. I guess I am used to my local track never filling up (Mid-O).  

It's not full - not even close. It will be full since it's a Friday before a endurance race weekend.  Did you create an account to give yourself access to the online portal?

16 hours ago, RymerC said:

I'm guessing that N2 rents the track, and much like the groups that rent mid ohio, they run regardless of how many people show up. That's a lot more appealing than the mid ohio school that can and will cancel an event the day before. 6/4 isn't even a weekend day!

Yes we had lower than average numbers last weekend at PIRC (totally a cheap place to rent :) ) and still ran the day. Unlike Mid-Ohio.

10 hours ago, Sellius said:

Has anyone been through the N2 Advanced Training Program and have any thoughts about it?  Did you go from there to more training?  Notice your riding improve as a result of the program?

What is your level of track riding experience? It's a good program. You have classroom sessions in between on-track sessions where you work with a coach dedicated to the ATP class (low student to instruction ratio) go over video, etc.

It runs as an add-on to the track day. So you'll have to purchase the track day as well as ATP. Lmk if you have any other questions.

In case you didnt see this: https://www.n2td.org/atp/

50 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

What is your level of track riding experience?

I'm the complete novice package with terrible body position and chronic difficulty staying on the race line.  I've been to about 15 track days over the last 3 years, all at mid-ohio until last weekend at PittRace.  I feel like I intellectually know where I should be and what I should be doing, but I find myself off the line, missing the apex, turning in late, etc.  I definitely  improve each time I go.  I'm much less tense than I used to be, I look much further down the track than I used to.....so I don't feel stalled-out by any means but/and I'm acutely aware of many of things I don't execute correctly.

I read the summary you linked and it sounds like I might be a candidate.  Thanks for the feedback on that....I may check one out later in the year.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

It's not full - not even close. It will be full since it's a Friday before a endurance race weekend.  Did you create an account to give yourself access to the online portal?

Yes, I created it on my phone so maybe I need to check an actual computer. It says it is full and gave me an option to get on a wait list. 

2 hours ago, Sellius said:

I'm the complete novice package with terrible body position and chronic difficulty staying on the race line.  I've been to about 15 track days over the last 3 years, all at mid-ohio until last weekend at PittRace.  I feel like I intellectually know where I should be and what I should be doing, but I find myself off the line, missing the apex, turning in late, etc.  I definitely  improve each time I go.  I'm much less tense than I used to be, I look much further down the track than I used to.....so I don't feel stalled-out by any means but/and I'm acutely aware of many of things I don't execute correctly.

I read the summary you linked and it sounds like I might be a candidate.  Thanks for the feedback on that....I may check one out later in the year.

Thanks!

Sounds good man! We'd love to have you out again!

1 hour ago, TMC Customs said:

Yes, I created it on my phone so maybe I need to check an actual computer. It says it is full and gave me an option to get on a wait list. 

Hmm, you sure you had the correct date selected? You can PM my your N2 account ID and I can look to see maybe why that happened.