Random Track Talk

TimTheAzn

not likely it feels like mid ohio limited offering days and pricing with out improvements will only get worse  before it gets better. sadly they simply "cannot" (this is relative i have NO knowledge of their goals or finances lol) continue to  operate  as they are with no incentive to ride or drive there without improvements to a  quickly degrading track surface(and other factors) in which a number of racing orgs have complained or flat out said they will not return  because of.  there are just to many quality tracks around anymore that continue to make upgrades to their compounds and  tracks. PITT race in my opinion is the best track out there right now. surface , track layout ect. putnam has repaved in the last 3-5  nelson in the last few and even GRATTAN!?!?!?! just redid the first 3 turns with plans to do 4-8   in the next year?! insane!

• Beer 1

Yes, the prices went up.

Yes, I still bought my gift certs.

Yes, the track needs work.

Yes, its seemingly not plausible to stomach an increase in prices after all the COVID cancellations and the 2 wheel orgs fleeing the track.

Yet, I would be sad if it wasn't around to ride so I still support it, but it will get harder and harder in the future until many give up.

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2021 at 3:43 PM, TimTheAzn said:

Man, this whole not riding thing sucks.

Streets are still open. The brine makes things interesting and you can wear double-protection and not break a sweat

On 1/30/2021 at 12:07 PM, RymerC said:

Streets are still open. The brine makes things interesting and you can wear double-protection and not break a sweat

Even if I had a street bike I wouldn't be taking it out with all the crap on the roads right now.

On 1/30/2021 at 8:43 AM, TMC Customs said:

Does anyone wear an airbag vest? I just picked up a Helite E GP-Air and am hoping it saves my butt if I need it. Not much online about wearing air vests on track. 

I used to wear a hit-air vest and high sided at NJMP with it on. It deployed as it should and I am pretty confident it saved me from significant injury. The downside to them is getting plugged in every session, that got old and led to me wearing it a lot less than I should have been the past couple years. 

I did upgrade to an alpinestars tech air race for next year however.

So if anyone wants to buy a hit-air rs-1 let me know lol. 

3 hours ago, Jester_ said:

I will miss most of the PIRC track days this year due to scheduling conflicts with WERA... I am super bummed 

That is a bummer, but good luck with the racing. Nelson and PIRC are about the same distance and even though it's more expensive for PIRC I'm going to spend my money there this year. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 3:40 PM, ksands22 said:

That is a bummer, but good luck with the racing. Nelson and PIRC are about the same distance and even though it's more expensive for PIRC I'm going to spend my money there this year. 

Cant go wrong with PIRC.

• 2 weeks later...

I likely won't be going back to Mid-O again unless I get a cheap cert and am peer pressured. Having to take a vacation day is bad enough but now it's more expensive than NCM or Pitt, no thanks.

That said, this should be a fun season. 17-18 wheel horsepower super 125 grom is in the works for racing (baseline of 8 wheel), and have a couple new (to me) tracks on the list I plan to hit this year on the big bike along with all of the NCM days I plan to attend. Busy busy.

I am signing up for my first WERA event at Nelson Ledges this year (6/6). I have never been to Nelson Ledges so I will probably be signing up for my first N2 track day (6/4) as well. Anyone plan to be there any of those days that I can bounce questions off of?

On 2/26/2021 at 3:33 PM, TMC Customs said:

I am signing up for my first WERA event at Nelson Ledges this year (6/6). I have never been to Nelson Ledges so I will probably be signing up for my first N2 track day (6/4) as well. Anyone plan to be there any of those days that I can bounce questions off of?

Do you have a race license? 

I should be there with N2. With it being your first N2 day you'll probably have to start in novice. If you want to try and petition into intermediate without an on-track evaluation you can send your complete track riding history including tracks ridden, lap times, other organizations you ride with and corresponding group, how often do you ride on track a year, etc. Email support@n2td.org

Edited by TimTheAzn

Race license? No. Race license course certificate? Yes

I was afraid I may get stuck in Novice but that may be the best way to learn a new track. I’m not sure how much help with lines you would get in intermediate but at some other track day orgs, it seems the control riders are willing to show you. I just put Pirelli SC2 slicks on and am a little concerned the Novice group will not keep them hot enough to get good traction. 

I will send my info into N2 and see what they come back with. I have done about 20 track days and am Advanced at Mid-O and Intermediate with STT. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, TMC Customs said:

Race license? No. Race license course certificate? Yes

I was afraid I may get stuck in Novice but that may be the best way to learn a new track. I’m not sure how much help with lines you would get in intermediate but at some other track day orgs, it seems the control riders are willing to show you. I just put Pirelli SC2 slicks on and am a little concerned the Novice group will not keep them hot enough to get good traction. 

I will send my info into N2 and see what they come back with. I have done about 20 track days and am Advanced at Mid-O and Intermediate with STT. 

20 track days over the course of how many years? That email is going to me for what its worth lol.

I've seen what the groups look like at Mid-O these days... ehhhh.

Edited by TimTheAzn

Here is a video I took from Nelson last August with Ricky O'Hare, Vasily Zhulin and Stefano Mesa. Mesa and Zhulin pulled away pretty easily but you can see Ricky for a bit before the tow was lost. Bike placement is very important here to open the radius of the turns and carry your corner speed. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jester_ said:

Here is a video I took from Nelson last August with Ricky O'Hare, Vasily Zhulin and Stefano Mesa. Mesa and Zhulin pulled away pretty easily but you can see Ricky for a bit before the tow was lost. Bike placement is very important here to open the radius of the turns and carry your corner speed. 

LOL Ricky was all over the place in some parts.

2 hours ago, Jester_ said:

Nice! I have been watching a lot of race videos on YouTube at Nelson Ledges trying to remember all the turns, get a feel for the line, and see where the turn in and braking points are. Your dash is the clearest on video. 

• 1 month later...

Saw the forecast for 4/12 mid ohio track day- no, it's too good... it's a trap, surely something is wrong. I better register just in case.

Riders and Coaches,

The first track day of the season, scheduled for this Monday, has already been canceled due to low enrollments.  

We were barely at half the minimum number required to run the day. We are required to have at least 40 riders pre-registered by noon on the Friday before the scheduled track day.  This is going to be the norm for the entire season.

If you ever plan to enroll using a gift certificate, you are welcome to contact me by email and I can take care of the enrollment without needing to call.  We have limited staff again this year and sometimes our phones are just a little bit busy.  

Some other information to be aware of this year:

In the event that The Mid-Ohio School cancels a course (low enrollment, weather, unforeseen circumstances), a refund or rescheduling will be offered at no additional charge.  The calendar will be kept current, so please check calendar before leaving home.  DO NOT ASSUME A TRACK DAY WILL BE CANCELED BASED ON FORECAST.  If Mid-Ohio deems the track unsafe due to weather on the day of a scheduled track day, riders must be present (checked in with the registrar prior to the riders meeting) to be eligible for rescheduling.  Failing to do so will be treated as a no-show.  Refer to https://www.midohio.com/information/terms-conditions.

Let's make certain that Monday's cancellation is the only one for the 2021 season!

On 4/9/2021 at 5:38 PM, RymerC said:

Saw the forecast for 4/12 mid ohio track day- no, it's too good... it's a trap, surely something is wrong. I better register just in case.

Maybe if they repave people would go ride there again.