Jump to content
TimTheAzn

Random Track Talk

Recommended Posts

Went to Putnam this past weekend and had a blast. That track is really nice compared to where I usually ride (Mid-O). Was able to get through the race school so hopefully I can try out a race next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TMC Customs said:

Went to Putnam this past weekend and had a blast. That track is really nice compared to where I usually ride (Mid-O). Was able to get through the race school so hopefully I can try out a race next year. 

If you're using Mid-Ohio as a gauge for what a nice track is (excluding surrounding facilities). Literally every single one you go to around here except maybe Grattan will be an improvement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TMC Customs said:

Went to Putnam this past weekend and had a blast. That track is really nice compared to where I usually ride (Mid-O). Was able to get through the race school so hopefully I can try out a race next year. 

Finally got a picture of myself on track. Definitely need to work on body position but now I think I look as cool as I feel when I am riding. Haha. 

4FB98587-2A7C-413C-BAD0-A3A4D6AB7E40.jpeg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TMC Customs said:

Finally got a picture of myself on track. Definitely need to work on body position but now I think I look as cool as I feel when I am riding. Haha. 

4FB98587-2A7C-413C-BAD0-A3A4D6AB7E40.jpeg

Looks pretty good! Could focus on getting your outside arm straight across the tank which will help you get your upper body further down and out which will stand that bike up more to reduce risk. Take a look at the picture below and look at my outside arm. My bp isnt perfect but you can kinda see how straightening that outside arm will get the upper body a little lower and further out..

PBM_3177.thumb.JPG.6a622ec067e7d7e46797516bef406c6d.JPG

 

BP isnt the end-all be-all of track riding. I know plenty of people that are fast as fuck and don't have picture perfect body position. I focused on BP a lot initially - I had to look cool in pictures. Luckily some of the good habits stayed as I switched my focus from bp to stop being a bitch on the brakes. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Looks pretty good! Could focus on getting your outside arm straight across the tank which will help you get your upper body further down and out which will stand that bike up more to reduce risk. Take a look at the picture below and look at my outside arm. My bp isnt perfect but you can kinda see how straightening that outside arm will get the upper body a little lower and further out..

PBM_3177.thumb.JPG.6a622ec067e7d7e46797516bef406c6d.JPG

 

BP isnt the end-all be-all of track riding. I know plenty of people that are fast as fuck and don't have picture perfect body position. I focused on BP a lot initially - I had to look cool in pictures. Luckily some of the good habits stayed as I switched my focus from bp to stop being a bitch on the brakes. :lol:

Isn't the goal to be in a position that is stable enough you could let go of the outside bar mid-corner? Serious question, because that is what I was taught during my very short, very distant stint at Mid-Ohio. 

Looking at his right arm.. it is 90⁰ to the bar. That is an awful lot of leverage. Straight across the tank is more parallel, thus reducing force and total available travel. A straight arm can't get straighter. That bent elbow can punch a hole right through his available traction. 

I have stayed at so many Holiday Inn Expresses, that I can use the fancy parking spots... AND I get free water. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 4:31 PM, TimTheAzn said:

Yes that's what I meant ahha. 7-9.

Will be there camping all weekend with my brother and the 40 foot diesel pusher. We’re going to roll in Thursday night.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Pauly said:

Isn't the goal to be in a position that is stable enough you could let go of the outside bar mid-corner? Serious question, because that is what I was taught during my very short, very distant stint at Mid-Ohio. 

Looking at his right arm.. it is 90⁰ to the bar. That is an awful lot of leverage. Straight across the tank is more parallel, thus reducing force and total available travel. A straight arm can't get straighter. That bent elbow can punch a hole right through his available traction. 

I have stayed at so many Holiday Inn Expresses, that I can use the fancy parking spots... AND I get free water. 

Isn't the goal to be in a position that is stable enough you could let go of the outside bar mid-corner?

So.. yes. The ability to let go of a bar mid corner means you are light on the bars aka you arent supporting yourself with your hands/arms. They probably told you that so you would be light on the bars. But to be light on the bars you must engage your core. A great thing that Dan told me after going through YCRS was "pull the tank into the ground with your outside leg." That is much easier to think about and actually execute than "be light on the bars". What pulling the tank into the ground mid corner does is makes you use your legs and it automatically engages your core thus making you lighter on the bars because your core is working to hold you in position as well as your lower body which leaves you light on the bars. It gives you more feeling, helps prevent unintended inputs into the bars, - and yes if you feel confident you could take a hand off (I wouldn't suggest it tho).

 

Looking at his right arm.. it is 90⁰ to the bar. That is an awful lot of leverage. Straight across the tank is more parallel, thus reducing force and total available travel. A straight arm can't get straighter. That bent elbow can punch a hole right through his available traction. 

He is already past the point of where you really need a ton of leverage (which would be turn in). Leverage really comes into play in rapid back-to-back corners where you are flipping the bike from side to side in a quick fashion. Also a factor: he looks like he is using stock clip-ons at a somewhat stock angle. My clipons are pushed as far forward as I could without hitting my levers when steering in the paddock/ moving the bike around. That provides a lot of leverage and forces the outside hand out a little more which would automatically start straitening that other arm I think. My buddy that's been riding on track longer than I have but with stock clipons/angle just moved his out last weekend and said it made a world of difference.

4 hours ago, F4iguy said:

Will be there camping all weekend with my brother and the 40 foot diesel pusher. We’re going to roll in Thursday night.

Power has probably been sold out. There wont be any pavement to park on, so if he doesnt mind parking in the grass there should be space. Make sure to buy your camping and spectator passes. If you see me zoom'n around give me a shout! I'll see if I can find that monster out in the camping area and stop by.

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Power has probably been sold out. There wont be any pavement to park on, so if he doesnt mind parking in the grass there should be space. Make sure to buy your camping and spectator passes. If you see me zoom'n around give me a shout! I'll see if I can find that monster out in the camping area and stop by.

We have a spot reserved.  On the pavement in the “new” paddock area, I think.  Bought the camping spot and tickets two months ago.

Edited by F4iguy
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, F4iguy said:

We have a spot reserved.  On the pavement in the “new” paddock area, I think.  Bought the camping spot and tickets two months ago.

HMMM so THATS what they were tearing up last time I was there.

Thats a reason I love that place. They are constantly improving and updating their facilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we've decided to make it a more real vacation and get out there as soon as gates open on Friday.  Can't wait!  Picks for the Supersport race wins?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

Well, we've decided to make it a more real vacation and get out there as soon as gates open on Friday.  Can't wait!  Picks for the Supersport race wins?

Hope it's my rider Gary on the Mosites Motorsports zx6r!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Hope it's my rider Gary on the Mosites Motorsports zx6r!

Been turning a few laps at PIRC, huh?  Escalante is making the ZX6r look good, come on Gary, you too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jacobhawkins said:

Been turning a few laps at PIRC, huh?  Escalante is making the ZX6r look good, come on Gary, you too!

It's our home track. :dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TimTheAzn said:

It's our home track. :dunno:

Yep, I know.  So he knows where the secret tunnels are like in Mario?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

Yep, I know.  So he knows where the secret tunnels are like in Mario?

Yup. There's one around the gulch area that will spit you out where the old track and new track come together.

 

  • Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...