Random Track Talk

TimTheAzn

+1 for setting it up for what you think feels best. Fuck the book. The book will get you in the ballpark most often, then fine tuning based on what you want out of the bike. But it all comes down to how you feel on it.

Edited by TimTheAzn

1 hour ago, what said:

Suspension settings are situational to the rider, the track, the bike, the tires, the temperature, etc. "By the book" or canned settings you find online are generally trash, you have to have someone with a feel for all of the things listed above either tell you what to do or do it for you for a properly set up suspension. @Hoblick was just telling me that Dave Moss offers a remote suspension service for a nominal fee. Ryan is also good with setting up suspensions, so if you're (Doc) ever down this way on a ride I'm sure he'd be willing to help you out. Here I am volunteering his time for him 😂

56 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

+1 for setting it up for what you think feels best. Fuck the book. The book will get you in the ballpark most often, then fine tuning based on what you want out of the bike. But it all comes down to how you feel on it.

yea going by one source is usually trash, but I kind of do the "online research" going through lot of forum posts magazines youtube videos even reddit etc to come up with a starting set of numbers which seemed close to my weight and style. Then just tweak a bit during rides and just set it later on. This strategy worked for last 2 out of three bikes with adjustable suspension. But this tracer it was waaaaay off. I am talking several clicks on preload and comp rebound etc, as if entirely different bike. then again there was not much data to go by for this bike since its still pretty new.

yes I saw the link on dave moss site for remote help, like 90 bucks something for 30 min consult. I wondered if I needed to be well prepared with all stands and measurement and may be even a helper before going that direction to make full use of the session. If that's the case I cant arrange that  :( 

hoblick seems like a very viable option, but that guy so busy will be hard to get a time lined up.

I wish to just go back with a simple machine like vstrom with no adjustments and hence no headache, just learn to ride the bike as is  :)  But noooo even in suspension world  the gold color always corrupts men.

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

I push a button on mine. It nails it every time.

Baller :D 

Edited by NinjaDoc

13 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

yea going by one source is usually trash, but I kind of do the "online research" going through lot of forum posts magazines youtube videos even reddit etc to come up with a starting set of numbers which seemed close to my weight and style. Then just tweak a bit during rides and just set it later on. This strategy worked for last 2 out of three bikes with adjustable suspension. But this tracer it was waaaaay off. I am talking several clicks on preload and comp rebound etc, as if entirely different bike. then again there was not much data to go by for this bike since its still pretty new.

yes I saw the link on dave moss site for remote help, like 90 bucks something for 30 min consult. I wondered if I needed to be well prepared with all stands and measurement and may be even a helper before going that direction to make full use of the session. If that's the case I cant arrange that  :( 

hoblick seems like a very viable option, but that guy so busy will be hard to get a time lined up.

I wish to just go back with a simple machine like vstrom with no adjustments and hence no headache, just learn to ride the bike as is  :)  But noooo even in suspension world  the gold color always corrupts men.

Baller :D 

Having adjustment available is soooo much better than non adjustable, even if there is a little headache getting it set up initially. Suspension really is the #1 contributor to bike handling and performance. As far as the Dave Moss thing goes, Hoblick knows exactly what he will ask you, just need to say his name 3 times to summon him to this thread. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, what said:

Having adjustment available is soooo much better than non adjustable, even if there is a little headache getting it set up initially. Suspension really is the #1 contributor to bike handling and performance. As far as the Dave Moss thing goes, Hoblick knows exactly what he will ask you, just need to say his name 3 times to summon him to this thread. 

Dont you have a direct line to him? For as much he rides minis with you guys....

11 hours ago, blue03636 said:

Some day you will be fast enough. 🤣

3 years on the same oem a* pucks. 😬

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

2019 was the year we all went for the bow. We all failed :lol:. Theres always 2020!

2019 ain't over yet...

26 minutes ago, Jester_ said:

3 years on the same oem a* pucks. 😬

2019 ain't over yet...

I have a front tire with many track days and 3 sprint races, and a rear that has life but a decent amount of heat cycles. I think I'll be taking it easy the rest of the year lol.