Random Track Talk

TimTheAzn

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 1:24 PM, TMC Customs said:

It was a beautiful day to be on the track and there was not very many people. Unfortunately, 4 people from various groups went down at the same location on turn 9 throughout the day, I was the one in advanced that went down. I left after that but in the ambulance ride, you could hear them talking on the radio asking if anyone saw any reason why everyone was going down. Not sure if they got it figured out after I left. Felt like oil or antifreeze because there was no warning , I just initiated the turn, not even getting my knee down, and in a flash my front end was down and I was sliding. Not hurt and bike is fine. 

I was also one of the ones who went down in this turn. Similar story, was not going balls to the wall. Felt the back start to slip, then it caught traction and high sided. The guy who drove out also mentioned possible oil on the track. While we were waiting on the trailer, we walked out on track to look. You could see 2 faint dark stripes, almost like fluid was spraying out from the sides of a bike. Traced this back right to the spot I think I lost traction. Unfortunately no video. I was also unhurt, but cracked the frame of my bike, so it's getting rebuilt from the ground up. 

Here is the video. Sorry it’s a butt shot. I was noticing I was dropping my butt when leaning and wanted to get a video to see how bad it was to correct it.  I am a little off line here which could be why I didn’t slip on any of my other laps. 

https://youtu.be/KvXS9cuWZXc

1 hour ago, TMC Customs said:

Here is the video. Sorry it’s a butt shot. I was noticing I was dropping my butt when leaning and wanted to get a video to see how bad it was to correct it.  I am a little off line here which could be why I didn’t slip on any of my other laps. 

https://youtu.be/KvXS9cuWZXc

That's weird, its like you hit a bump in the track. Didn't seem like you were carrying excessive lean angle, or applying excessive throttle. Your head could come further inside and down but I don't think that's why this happened.

1 hour ago, RymerC said:

Did you hit the rectangular concrete patch thing around there? That patch is not to be trusted.

I was just outside of it on the inside of the curve but I typically run it over on my regular line. It definitely has a bump in it. 

Well, if you all feel like watching me crash, here is another one from Nelson Ledges earlier this year. I was jockeying for 2nd I think and came upon an “expert” who I assumed would accelerate out of the turn and hold his line when he did not. It looks like I could have gotten back on the track but it rained heavy so I was riding through deep puddles in the grass. I was hoping I could ride it out but quickly realized that wasn’t happening when I locked up my brakes and didn’t slow down at all. I got a little off line on some of the laps but this was my first weekend at Nelson and was just creeping into 1:11’s. 

https://youtu.be/MAsqTR1brV4

13 hours ago, TMC Customs said:

Well, if you all feel like watching me crash, here is another one from Nelson Ledges earlier this year. I was jockeying for 2nd I think and came upon an “expert” who I assumed would accelerate out of the turn and hold his line when he did not. It looks like I could have gotten back on the track but it rained heavy so I was riding through deep puddles in the grass. I was hoping I could ride it out but quickly realized that wasn’t happening when I locked up my brakes and didn’t slow down at all. I got a little off line on some of the laps but this was my first weekend at Nelson and was just creeping into 1:11’s. 

Bro you downshifting before the high-speed kink makes me and your valves cringe. Just roll through there. Catch 2 downshifts into 12, catch 1 more in between 12 and 13 which should put you in 3rd gear onto the front straight. Also dont downshift into t1. You are killing so much roll speed by doing that.

Edited by TimTheAzn

9 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Bro you downshifting before the high-speed kink makes me and your valves cringe. Just roll through there. Catch 2 downshifts into 12, catch 1 more in between 12 and 13 which should put you in 3rd gear onto the front straight. Also dont downshift into t1. You are killing so much roll speed by doing that.

Yeah, bouncing off my rev limiter was not great. I actually need to change up my gearing for that track to keep my RPM’s in a better spot. On turn 1, I tried not downshifting in practice but my bike lacked the power to get me to the speed I wanted to exit. I appreciate the advice on the shift points. I studied every race video of that track that I could find and was still not able to pin all the shift points down. 

I see what you mean now about two downshifts into 12. I tried that in practice and was finding it difficult to get down 2 gears and change body position in that amount of time. I also was a second slower on my laps so I was not hitting such high revs. Once I was racing, my pace was much faster and that downshift before the kink should not have happened. Practice will make me quicker on those shifts. 

Edited by TMC Customs

14 hours ago, TMC Customs said:

Nelson is a crappy track to go off. Tire walls come up quick, and there isn't enough paved run off for things like this :(

I'm sure #2 appreciates you not stuffing it into the back of him.

4 hours ago, TMC Customs said:

Yeah, bouncing off my rev limiter was not great. I actually need to change up my gearing for that track to keep my RPM’s in a better spot. On turn 1, I tried not downshifting in practice but my bike lacked the power to get me to the speed I wanted to exit. I appreciate the advice on the shift points. I studied every race video of that track that I could find and was still not able to pin all the shift points down. 

Need to carry more speed through t1 then. Nelsons is fast, but knowing there's like zero run off prevents people from going faster. Myself included.

4 hours ago, TMC Customs said:

I see what you mean now about two downshifts into 12. I tried that in practice and was finding it difficult to get down 2 gears and change body position in that amount of time. I also was a second slower on my laps so I was not hitting such high revs. Once I was racing, my pace was much faster and that downshift before the kink should not have happened. Practice will make me quicker on those shifts. 

This means you need to move your body over to the left as soon as you finish the kink. You should not be moving your body by the time you go to the brakes - that should already be done.

We ride triumphs, not r6's- we have a completely different power band.

I will say I was going to experiment going into 5th right before the high-speed kink I just never got back to Nelsons to try it.

Here's a vid of me following my buddy Nick at a track day this year. I wasnt riding at pace but my gear selection is still the same.

7:17 is a good example of how to signal for pit out without rolling off btw.

Edited by TimTheAzn

• 2 weeks later...

this looks interesting:

"

MotoGP™ announces new Amazon Exclusive docuseries

MotoGP™ and Prime Video set to take viewers behind the scenes during a spectacular, history-making season

Tags MotoGP, 2022

Dorna Sports is delighted to announce a new Amazon Exclusive docuseries following the FIM MotoGP™ World Championship. Produced by THE MEDIAPRO STUDIO, in collaboration with Dorna, the Prime Video series will premiere in 2022 and takes viewers behind the scenes of the world’s fastest motorcycle racing Championship, showing MotoGP™ as never seen before.

The new series will feature eight 50-minute episodes that follow some of the biggest names in the sport, including MotoGP™ Legend Valentino Rossi (Petronas Yamaha SRT), eight-time World Champion Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team), newly crowned 2021 Champion Fabio Quartararo (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP), runner up Francesco ‘Pecco’ Bagnaia (Ducati Lenovo team), 2020 Champion Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) and Jack Miller (Ducati Lenovo Team), as well as team managers and key figures within the paddock. The series will premiere exclusively on Prime Video in France, Italy and Spain, and in more than 150 countries and territories in 2022 including the UK and the USA. "

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/11/25/motogp-announces-new-amazon-exclusive-docuseries/403192?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=MotoGPannouncesnewAmazonExclusivedocuseries&utm_campaign=Traffic

• Beer 1

On 11/11/2021 at 5:54 PM, TMC Customs said:

I was just outside of it on the inside of the curve but I typically run it over on my regular line. It definitely has a bump in it. 

That concrete patch has been causing issues this year. I never went right over it since it's just barely off-line but I saw someone get loose going over it and there was another video I saw where the concrete was the clear cause of the crash (front tucked as soon as the tire touched the patch). Best advice I guess is just to alter your line to stay off the patch.

Keyhole was a lot better this year at least. I'll keep spending most of my track-related money elsewhere though until they repave. Really want to get out to Pitt in 2022.

13 hours ago, what said:

That concrete patch has been causing issues this year. I never went right over it since it's just barely off-line but I saw someone get loose going over it and there was another video I saw where the concrete was the clear cause of the crash (front tucked as soon as the tire touched the patch). Best advice I guess is just to alter your line to stay off the patch.

Keyhole was a lot better this year at least. I'll keep spending most of my track-related money elsewhere though until they repave. Really want to get out to Pitt in 2022.

25% off mid ohio school certificates, today only.

Pittrace looks better in every way, except it's 4x the distance for me :( Time to move

I ended up just getting one Cert this year. I really like Mid-O’s layout, the people, and the proximity to my house so I am holding out hope that they will get a repave soon. I found this article where the president of Mid-O talks about getting a repave with motorcycles in mind in the next 3-5 years….. the article is from 2015. I am guessing the pandemic and the significantly increased cost of construction has changed those plans. 
https://amp.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/amp/30212373

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ksands22 said:

Made the trek to Barber this past weekend with N2. 12 hour drive was worth it. Got down to a 1:48 so I was happy with that for my first time there. 

Track and facility was awesome. 

Barber2.jpg

Barber1.jpg

Nice! Wish I could've made it down. That weekend is just a pita to get down to due to thanksgibbins.