Random Track Talk

TimTheAzn

50 minutes ago, ksands22 said:

I'll be there. #22 Black Honda CBR in Intermediate. Come say hi. I talked a buddy into getting a track bike and will be his first day too.

You will not be disappointed with the track or the facility. 

Sorry about the blank face I gave you the other weekend. I meet and speak to so many damn people those weekends... plus catching me that early in the morning I'm not even fully awake yet haha.

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Sorry about the blank face I gave you the other weekend. I meet and speak to so many damn people those weekends... plus catching me that early in the morning I'm not even fully awake yet haha.

Yeah yeah you were probably like not this squid again...LOL I'll wait till 8:45 to talk to you this time. 

Intermediate before an Endurance weekend was definitely like entering Thunder dome but a hell of a good time. 

16 hours ago, ksands22 said:

Yeah yeah you were probably like not this squid again...LOL I'll wait till 8:45 to talk to you this time. 

Intermediate before an Endurance weekend was definitely like entering Thunder dome but a hell of a good time. 

Yea Friday's before endurance weekends have pretty much turned into race practice. Only the strong will survive.

49 minutes ago, what said:

your belly pan looks scared for its life. front end need to be raised or is that just the way those fairings sit? 

I'm still applying a fair amount of brakes here, the forks are still compressed a good bit. Trail braking ftw.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

I'm still applying a fair amount of brakes here, the forks are still compressed a good bit. Trail braking ftw.

hard to tell how deep into the corner you are from the photo. still on the brakes would make sense.

I have a helmet question that might be really dumb.

I started doing track days a few years ago on this old ninja I had around.  I still ride Novice.

Now I have a CBR600RR.  The riding position is very very different (forward) and I'm having a weird new problem.  I'm so far forward that when I'm in a turn I have a lot of trouble seeing down the track like I used to because the brown of the helmet blocks my view.  I have to crank my head back incredibly far to have the same view down the track that I am used to. 

The helmet is a regular street helmet, Arai RX-Q.  And I don't have short arms, that I know of.

Are track/racing helmets designed with this in mind, with a wider or higher brow, or is this just something I need to get used to.  Is this a thing?

Helmets are a subjective topic. But typically the more race-oriented helmets have more vision (side to side and vertical).

First thing to do is to ensure your helmet fits correctly.

I ran into that issue when I switched back to one of my RF1200's at the track after getting used to my corsair x's. I would be leaned over in a corner trying to look forward and I would be staring at the brow of my helmet (in the RF1200). Or coming up out of t5 at PIRC (leaned over looking up hill).

5 hours ago, Muckles said:

Nice to meet you briefly Sunday while we were waiting to go out in track for the last session of novice.

Hey man it was nice to meet you. Are you going to be at pitt in oct? I'm not coaching that weekend but will throw a shirt on to help you for a session if youre there. lmk. I'm sorry we didnt get to link up this past weekend. I hope you had fun.

51 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Hey man it was nice to meet you. Are you going to be at pitt in oct? I'm not coaching that weekend but will throw a shirt on to help you for a session if youre there. lmk. I'm sorry we didnt get to link up this past weekend. I hope you had fun.

I had a great time, it was a lot to digest in one day. I think I finally started getting into a rhythm by the end of the day. Unfortunately, I made plans for that weekend in October before I realized (Sunday) that I definitely wanted to go back. Should have started earlier in the season, lol. I appreciate the offer for sure... I'm a spunge at this point...I had quite a bit of interaction with I believe "Nate" who was super helpful. I'll definitely be doing a lot more days here in the future. Already Talked to the wife into budgeting a track day ever three weeks or so next year.

On 9/8/2021 at 8:13 AM, TimTheAzn said:

Helmets are a subjective topic. But typically the more race-oriented helmets have more vision (side to side and vertical).

First thing to do is to ensure your helmet fits correctly.

I ran into that issue when I switched back to one of my RF1200's at the track after getting used to my corsair x's. I would be leaned over in a corner trying to look forward and I would be staring at the brow of my helmet (in the RF1200). Or coming up out of t5 at PIRC (leaned over looking up hill).

Great topic......I find the same issue while in a more sporting lean.

I have a Shoei RF1100...Not a major pain, but annoying. Wondering if to get a different helmet more suited for backroad follies..  And what would that be?

Edited by mello dude

In my experience the AGV Corsa\Pista has the largest field of vision. I have an Arai Corsair X right now and it does have a smaller field of vision and I can see some of the helmet when riding but not enough to bother me. 

I have had issues in the past with the Bell Star but this was a few years ago and I am sure they have changed things since then.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 8:43 PM, mello dude said:

Great topic......I find the same issue while in a more sporting lean.

I have a Shoei RF1100...Not a major pain, but annoying. Wondering if to get a different helmet more suited for backroad follies..  And what would that be?

Unless you have an improperly fitting helmet - vision shouldn't be a real issue riding the mean skreets imo. My RF1200 was fine for me until I started riding aggressively on-track and was cranked over trying to look up-hill looking for my next reference point.

On 9/20/2021 at 9:27 AM, Jester_ said:

In my experience the AGV Corsa\Pista has the largest field of vision. I have an Arai Corsair X right now and it does have a smaller field of vision and I can see some of the helmet when riding but not enough to bother me. 

I have had issues in the past with the Bell Star but this was a few years ago and I am sure they have changed things since then.

The newer Bell Stars have a very good field of view.