Random Track Talk

TimTheAzn

14 hours ago, RymerC said:

anyone going to mid ohio on monday? weather looks decent and the keyhole is slightly less crappy after the patching

I think a few people are going, I won't be making it though.

Had a good day at NCM last Saturday palling around with the TDW crew & Hoblick, despite the rain - that track dries out so fast. Didn't hit the lap times I was hoping for but still shaved a bit off of last time at least.

I also got to see what happens when a dumdum rams a coach right when his knee is touching the apex marker... ratty SV650 vs a stupid expensive R1. Luckily for the coach his left leg took 100% of the impact. Also luckily for the coach his femur didn't snap in half when the SV rider bent his forks back slamming into the coach's leg. Somehow he managed to keep it up and there was not a scratch on his bike, but there were a few large chunks missing from the left side of his rear tire - looks like tire vs brake caliper as some of the cuts were clean like a blade had sliced out sections. No bone damage, just really bad contusion, glad he didn't get hurt worse, it could have been really really bad considering where it happened (turn 15, the left right after table top)...  As for the SV and its rider -  the bike is totaled and the rider got banged up a bit but to my knowledge didn't require any medical attention.

Takeaway from this - keep your eyes forward and keep yourself/bike under control.

• Upvote 1

On 7/16/2021 at 11:11 AM, RymerC said:

anyone going to mid ohio on monday? weather looks decent and the keyhole is slightly less crappy after the patching

I will go. Are you sure it isn’t cancelled? They are pretty bad at communicating their cancellations. 

10 hours ago, TMC Customs said:

I will go. Are you sure it isn’t cancelled? They are pretty bad at communicating their cancellations. 

This year (at least so far) they've been emailing anyone registered the friday before, by noon if it's cancelled.

I emailed Gwen Friday and it wasn't cancelled as of then. Should be good to go this time

On 7/17/2021 at 9:34 AM, Muckles said:

Unfortunately, the wife vetoed my plans for Nelson's. Apparently, we have others plans that's she failed to tell me about. Maybe Pitt later in the year.

Better sign up now. Pitt sells out pretty often. Last weekend we were there it was sold out 3 weeks in advance. Also by signing up early you can tell your wife YOU have plans then.

Edited by TimTheAzn

Anyone know if Nelsons Ledges paddock is open the night before to drop a trailer like PittRace is?  I'm going for my first time on 7/31.  Their website is a little sparse on details.

On 7/24/2021 at 10:34 PM, Sellius said:

Anyone know if Nelsons Ledges paddock is open the night before to drop a trailer like PittRace is?  I'm going for my first time on 7/31.  Their website is a little sparse on details.

Yea you should be able to get in Friday afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a pretty good Saturday night and Sunday last weekend. Ended up with 4 wins, two 2nds, a third and a 4th (by default, pulled in after 1 lap in a rain race, only 3 other riders finished...). Currently leading the points in the F3 heavyweight class (195lbs+) and very close to 2nd in points in F3 overall. Very unexpected being my first season in Expert.

Here was a fun race from Sunday against #1 and #2 in F3. The Grom is putting down the power. I think I may be getting close to the limits of my front tire though, was losing the front fairly consistently throughout the weekend. Slicks and warmers might be next on the never-ending list of race parts...

Shameless plug - if anyone needs engine/dyno work done, check out https://turn13motorsports.com/ in Ashley. Jake knows his shit. Legit tuner and engine builder (full service shop). They design/print their own velocity stacks as well, and I've seen some pretty huge results on back-to-back dyno runs from dropping in their stacks vs stock on both GSXR's and CBR's.

The video:

• Upvote 1

On 8/9/2021 at 9:09 AM, TimTheAzn said:

Had a great time at Nelsons Ledges this weekend riding @Hoblick's ktm 390 in the ultra lwt endurance race. Last 15 min was a freak'n battle! I think both of us did really well - just couldn't do anything against the hp of the top finishing bikes.

Tim, yeah that was an epic battle .... fun to watch!

• Beer 1

I too had a great time running the 4 hr pony express at Nelson Ledges last weekend.  That rain made for some interesting strategerie.  We took 2nd (me, Chris Murphy and Robby Noe) despite all of us running pretty decent times, hard to fight guys that can run lots of 1:07s and 1:08s. 

couple of shots from the John Martinowski:

9P0A2519 copy.jpg

9P0A3813 copy.jpg

Edited by DesmoDuc
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Tonik said:

How do you coordinate rider changes, does the track do it with flags?

Rider changes for pony express are at the discretion of the team ... we chose 40 minutes as a baseline as that seemed to be where the gas tanks started to display "low."  ( and for a 3 rider team ends up being 2 40 minute stints each )  But we also use a white board to signal early changes from the pit.  And riders can signal early stops if the need to.  The rain and dry out had us making all types of changes. 

• Beer 1

Did anyone see the Sunday's MotoGP race. The last six laps transitioned from dry to downpour. It was epic watching those that came in trying to catch those that didn't and were basically riding at Harley speeds.

Edited by Tonik
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Did anyone see the Sunday's MotoGP race. The last six laps transitioned from dry to downpour. It was epic watching those that came in trying to catch those that didn't and were basically riding at Harley speeds.

That GP race was entertaining.

You should see some of the MotoAmerica bagger class. There are a lot of people that would have their feelings hurt watching one of those go past them while riding a full on track bike.

On 8/16/2021 at 10:42 AM, Tonik said:

Just watched the hi-lights on Utube this morning. Looked like a pretty competitive race then the rain started and everything was up ended. It was interesting watching some of the riders on rain tires slice through the pack on slicks on the last lap. Still slicks won the race so I'm not sure it was a good decision. 

• 2 weeks later...