Random Track Talk

TimTheAzn

On 5/28/2021 at 1:26 PM, TimTheAzn said:

It's amazing how even some A group riders still do shitty with signaling to pit in. I signal early. :dunno:

Yeah I don't get it. It's the ONE thing that every org drills into everybody at every track day. Don't cross the blend line out of pit lane, and signal and stay off the line at X location when entering pit lane. Still, some people don't understand. 

I did find out the guys that were being weird got knocked down to I group after getting a talking to so at least the CR's were doing their job. 

Also, got my first wins last weekend with the minis. Took long enough... 😅 Moving up to expert this season has been fun.

Edited by what
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, what said:

Yeah I don't get it. It's the ONE thing that every org drills into everybody at every track day. Don't cross the blend line out of pit lane, and signal and stay off the line at X location when entering pit lane. Still, some people don't understand. 

I did find out the guys that were being weird got knocked down to I group after getting a talking to so at least the CR's were doing their job. 

Also, got my first wins last weekend with the minis. Took long enough... 😅 Moving up to expert this season has been fun.

Congrats! I'll never see a podium again now that I'm an expert :lol:.

Edited by TimTheAzn

On 6/3/2021 at 11:46 AM, TimTheAzn said:

Congrats! I'll never see a podium again now that I'm an expert :lol:.

Hah yeah, luckily the MotoA guys that show up usually don't race in my classes. I was pacing Gavin Anthony during practice at our first round though, so that was a fun surprise. The kids are the ones I have no hope of ever catching. If the ohvale cup kids are there I know my overall position will be down by however many of them there are.

Edited by what

11 hours ago, what said:

Seems it actually happened, I think that's their first for the year.

We were all very surprised they actually had the event. Weather was great an they put a huuuuuge concrete patch in the keyhole which is slightly bumpy but better than what was there before.

Morning Race 1:
Had a decent day racing Sunday. I had a terrible start and my lines were a mess for the first few laps in the first race of the day, I think I was sleeping when the light went out... I don't know. I got passed by half the grid it felt like and had to make up those places. I ended up 5th.

Morning Race 2:
This race was pretty hard-fought. One of the fastest guys in the club snuck past me a couple laps in and he really made me work to hang on. Pressure led to a mistake which I capitalized on and got the lead back. The camera overheated or something with 2 laps left and shut itself off so I didn't get the end of the race, there wasn't much action in those two laps anyway so nothing really lost. Ended up in 1st.

Afternoon Race 2:
The final race of the day would have been a tough one for me to win with me at 100%, but I ended up getting a leg cramp on about lap 3 which slowed me down a lot for about 3 laps. Luckily I had enough of a gap to 3rd prior to the leg cramp that I was able to hang on until the cramp went away and I could pick up the pace again. I ended up 2nd.

Edited by what
  • Beer 2

I have a question that I'll bet one of you track guys can answer for me.  I was sick this weekend which gave me time to watch all the WSBK and MotoGP races from the last couple of weekends.  I noticed the riders turning their brake lever position adjusters a lot - or maybe once I recognized what they were doing, I just paid more attention to it.

Anyway, it made me think about how the brakes work and what the adjuster wheel does.  I understand that the hydraulic master cylinder will allow more fluid to flow from the reservoir into the system to account for brake pad wear (which I expect is a non-trivial volume during the course of a race).  What I don't understand is what would cause the riders to want or need to adjust the brake lever position.  Does temperature of the brakes cause the lever stroke to be longer at some temps and shorter at others to achieve the same braking performance?  Or is there something else I'm missing about braking at top racing levels?

I did try googling this questions but all I got was ads for remote adjusters.

6 minutes ago, MSerfozo said:

I have a question that I'll bet one of you track guys can answer for me.  I was sick this weekend which gave me time to watch all the WSBK and MotoGP races from the last couple of weekends.  I noticed the riders turning their brake lever position adjusters a lot - or maybe once I recognized what they were doing, I just paid more attention to it.

Anyway, it made me think about how the brakes work and what the adjuster wheel does.  I understand that the hydraulic master cylinder will allow more fluid to flow from the reservoir into the system to account for brake pad wear (which I expect is a non-trivial volume during the course of a race).  What I don't understand is what would cause the riders to want or need to adjust the brake lever position.  Does temperature of the brakes cause the lever stroke to be longer at some temps and shorter at others to achieve the same braking performance?  Or is there something else I'm missing about braking at top racing levels?

I did try googling this questions but all I got was ads for remote adjusters.

Brake temps dictate lever feel so it's a moving target over the course of the race. 

18 hours ago, what said:

Brake temps dictate lever feel so it's a moving target over the course of the race. 

Thanks Andy.  So when the brakes get very hot, you need more lever pull to compensate?  Makes sense.

correct the brake pads and the fluid temps change the lever feel over the course of a race.. a typical track day dude.. even advanced will not notice the fade unless their pads  or fluids are OLD.  even at the higher paces  during the 6-10 club race laps  fade isnt too much that an adjuster is needed... now over 20-30 hard race laps sure. and i've used them during 4 hr endurance races

• 2 weeks later...

Did my first track day this weekend at Pittrace and am now thoroughly hooked. Met a lot of great people and got a ton of good advice. Tim, sorry I didn't get a chance to work with you, but I got a lot of great coaching from some of your colleagues. Already signed up for Nelson Ledges on 7/31-8/1 and can't wait!

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, CBR doc said:

Did my first track day this weekend at Pittrace and am now thoroughly hooked. Met a lot of great people and got a ton of good advice. Tim, sorry I didn't get a chance to work with you, but I got a lot of great coaching from some of your colleagues. Already signed up for Nelson Ledges on 7/31-8/1 and can't wait!

I'll be there too.

13 hours ago, CBR doc said:

You just made the best worst decision of your financial and social lives.

12 hours ago, Muckles said:

Was thinking about coming out to Nelson Ledges for my inaugural track day 7/31. Finally got my gear sorted so I'm ready. Anything I need to make sure to have done to the bike for my first novice session?

Not really for novice. Just make sure nothing is loose and nothing is leaking and your tires are good. Heres our riders manual - give that a read as well. https://www.n2td.org/manuals-and-forms/